joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling this will eventually come back north that southern tier does well. the 6"+ is just south of the line right now. 

Once the models are done trending and get a better handle on the strength and track of the second wave then yes, it almost certainly will come north the last 24 hours.  That is because models almost always under play the moisture transport up to the confluence for some reason, then expand the precip field at the end, they also tend to suppress southern stream systems too much and also overdo the confluence a bit.  90 percent of the time in a system like this the last 24-36 hours things will bleed north.  The problem is (especially for those of us not right on the MD line) we need this to stop trending south NOW.  It will come north a bit, maybe 50-75 miles, but its not going to jump 200 miles north with this type setup, so we cant have this sag into VA with the best snows or we are in trouble.  Needing a slight shift north at the lasts minute is very likely, if we need it to shift from south of DC not gonna happen.  I think the north trend starts later tomorrow so we need tonight and 12z to hold this thing withing striking distance. 

Once the models are done trending and get a better handle on the strength and track of the second wave then yes, it almost certainly will come north the last 24 hours.  That is because models almost always under play the moisture transport up to the confluence for some reason, then expand the precip field at the end, they also tend to suppress southern stream systems too much and also overdo the confluence a bit.  90 percent of the time in a system like this the last 24-36 hours things will bleed north.  The problem is (especially for those of us not right on the MD line) we need this to stop trending south NOW.  It will come north a bit, maybe 50-75 miles, but its not going to jump 200 miles north with this type setup, so we cant have this sag into VA with the best snows or we are in trouble.  Needing a slight shift north at the lasts minute is very likely, if we need it to shift from south of DC not gonna happen.  I think the north trend starts later tomorrow so we need tonight and 12z to hold this thing withing striking distance. 

Is there any reason why, if the models moved south so much so fast, that they can't do the same thing again north, thus putting us right back in the game?

This is an example of the new stand your ground law even if you are wrong. I think that the storm moves north, just like most other storms. S&s and epawa...

Right on...this will come back north and we'll get a decent storm.....the way this winters going I would bet theres still more to come

Is there any reason why, if the models moved south so much so fast, that they can't do the same thing again north, thus putting us right back in the game?

yes, the reason this shifted south is because instead of having a more consolidated system with only weak waves out in front of the main one, the models have started to split the energy into two waves.  The first one goes north because it is out in front of the pressing cold high, but then that wave shifts the front south behind it and suppresses the second system.  that change in how this evolves leads to the south trend.  If that is correct, and there is a two wave scenario, there is only so far north the  second one can go.  There is a PV to the north pressing everything south and providing confluence to the north and the flow is fairly progressive, so this is not going to bomb and ride up into new england.  If tomorrow the bullseye is just south of the PA border we can get that to shift north and be ok, but if this goes any further south then it has already we are probably out of the game. 

GGEM is strung out again, BUT comparing the 48 hour RGEM to the 48 hour GGEM, I think the RGEM was heading towards a better solution with the second wave.  Its much more WSW to ENE oriented with the front and the wave is further north in the Miss Valley then the GGEM.  usually the two are not far off where the "handoff" happens at 48 but this time there is a pretty substantial difference.  The RGEM looks more like the older runs of the GFS and Euro that were good for PA.  Below you can compare the 48 hour RGEM to the 49 hour GGEM to see what I mean.post-2304-0-18732900-1393649577_thumb.pnpost-2304-0-84528100-1393649581_thumb.pn

GGEM is strung out again, BUT comparing the 48 hour RGEM to the 48 hour GGEM, I think the RGEM was heading towards a better solution with the second wave.  Its much more WSW to ENE oriented with the front and the wave is further north in the Miss Valley then the GGEM.  usually the two are not far off where the "handoff" happens at 48 but this time there is a pretty substantial difference.  The RGEM looks more like the older runs of the GFS and Euro that were good for PA.  Below you can compare the 48 hour RGEM to the 49 hour GGEM to see what I mean.attachicon.gif48RGEM.pngattachicon.gif49GGEM.png

Nice

Archived