EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Lol Monday night sneaky event

Ji

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but...but...models don't know what to do when [insert meteorological term] runs into [insert random barometric pressure].....

This has been a good winter for the snowy forecasters.. almost 09-10esque up north which is probably why JB2 is having a strong year. But I don't completely get where these giant surprise ideas come from. As far as I can tell that doesn't really happen much anymore.. though Dec 8 reminded us it can I guess.. or reminded PHL.

This has been a good winter for the snowy forecasters.. almost 09-10esque up north which is probably why JB2 is having a strong year. But I don't completely get where these giant surprise ideas come from. As far as I can tell that doesn't really happen much anymore.. though Dec 8 reminded us it can I guess.. or reminded PHL.

I feel it coming...

16big.jpg

even as NWP improves they'll be small "surprises" -- low qpf /  high ratio clippers will always be "surprise" material or like Dec 8 which was a smaller regional impact storm -- the idea that'll we'll continue to see high-impact "surprises" is probably wrong going forward -- can't have both: improved NWP and "surprise" storms

even as NWP improves they'll be small "surprises" -- low qpf /  high ratio clippers will always be "surprise" material or like Dec 8 which was a smaller regional impact storm -- the idea that'll we'll continue to see high-impact "surprises" is probably wrong going forward -- can't have both: improved NWP and "surprise" storms

yeah that's true on the clippers etc.  busting to 6" last night would be a pretty big bust given the qpf forecasts and is pretty much wishcasting.. dec 8 at least had the liquid to work with that was more of a bust on location/intensity of banding.  i think also this again shows that the euro usually owns most everything else even in the really short range.  DC had pretty good consensus for .2-.35" liquid midday yesterday apparently and didn't come close.  even 12z ended up too wet though.

yeah that's true on the clippers etc.  busting to 6" last night would be a pretty big bust given the qpf forecasts and is pretty much wishcasting.. dec 8 at least had the liquid to work with that was more of a bust on location/intensity of banding.  i think also this again shows that the euro usually owns most everything else even in the really short range.  DC had pretty good consensus for .2-.35" liquid midday yesterday apparently and didn't come close.  even 12z ended up too wet though.

yeah -- last night was not really in the category where you could squeeze 4 or 5 inches out of 0.2 liquid (although it was a very interesting event wrt crystal size/composition..) -- that's a good point about the euro -- seems foolish to see people discount in the short range and usually for odd logic -- how a model can be best in the medium range and poor in the short range is a bit baffling to me (good medium range forecasts start with smaller errors early in the forecast cycle), but that seems to be the weenie logic 

I haven't checked the rest of the thread, but was I the only one that heard thunder when that heavy line went through around 12:30AM?

mitchnick, I reported TSSN around that time. I only personally witnessed one flash followed by thunder, but it was clearly thunder and lightning and not a blowing transformer or anything else. 

Considering I got an inch and you need this kind of stuff to stats pad, seemed like an okay event to me.

stats padding is still important right now....it is less important on say 3/10 than in a winter when you are sitting on 5"...If we have a 0.5" event on 3/14, I am going to care much less about padding though I will still care...I'm still chasing 3"+ events

stats padding is still important right now....it is less important on say 3/10 than in a winter when you are sitting on 5"...If we have a 0.5" event on 3/14, I am going to care much less about padding though I will still care...I'm still chasing 3"+ events

I sure don't mind chasing the larger events god knows, was just noting that even a "bust" of 1"  (or even a 1/2" in your case) helps raise totals. In past years, a bust of that type of system would have been no flakes at all...

mitchnick, I reported TSSN around that time. I only personally witnessed one flash followed by thunder, but it was clearly thunder and lightning and not a blowing transformer or anything else. 

There was a single flash and boom SW of Clarksburg last night just before midnight.  I posted the DC LMA image for it a few pages back.  Seems to line up timing and storm track-wise for your area.

Archived