joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter II

jburns

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i enjoyed the storm, not quite what i was hoping for. probably about 7 inches of snow and over an inch of sleet in hickory. the euro on tuesday afternoon was showing 1.8 inches of qpf all snow in hickory. was really thinking this could have been the one to top 87 in hickory, which was 16 inches. alas, didn't happen. oh well, the quest continues lol.

i enjoyed the storm, not quite what i was hoping for. probably about 7 inches of snow and over an inch of sleet in hickory. the euro on tuesday afternoon was showing 1.8 inches of qpf all snow in hickory. was really thinking this could have been the one to top 87 in hickory, which was 16 inches. alas, didn't happen. oh well, the quest continues lol.

We should all know that every winter storm features three things:

1.) A QPF bust on the low side.

2.) A piping hot warm nose that always makes it further north/west than forecasted.

3.) The storm ends earlier than expected.

Yet we don't learn... and neither do I.

Oh, well, it was a really nice storm here, but we didn't get as much liquid equivalent as the models were spitting out and we did change over to sleet earlier than was expected.  It is what it is, though, and we got 8-9" of assorted wintry precipitation, making it the biggest storm since January 2002.  It wasn't enough to put it in the epic category, but it was memorable. The secondary roads are a complete disaster still.

I'm quite jealous of what went down in Mt. Airy today, though.  So close, yet so far...

I can't believe you basically had what I did while at Statesville in between they had numerous reports of 16-18".  So close yet so far away...

I can't believe you basically had what I did while at Statesville in between they had numerous reports of 16-18".  So close yet so far away...

Typically ULLs... lots of failure with epic wins sprinkled in between.  You and I got very lucky with one of those on 1/17/13 with a fast-and-furious 3-5" of wet snow while everyone else rained.

Today's ULL was pretty mediocre, though I did enjoy the near-whiteout conditions for a few minutes right before it moved out late this afternoon.  Watching snow fall all afternoon is never bad, either.  If there wasn't a snow pack already on the ground, much of that snow would have failed to stick, though.

We should all know that every winter storm features three things:

1.) A QPF bust on the low side.

2.) A piping hot warm nose that always makes it further north/west than forecasted.

3.) The storm ends earlier than expected.

Yet we don't learn... and neither do I.

Oh, well, it was a really nice storm here, but we didn't get as much liquid equivalent as the models were spitting out and we did change over to sleet earlier than was expected.  It is what it is, though, and we got 8-9" of assorted wintry precipitation, making it the biggest storm since January 2002.  It wasn't enough to put it in the epic category, but it was memorable. The secondary roads are a complete disaster still.

I'm quite jealous of what went down in Mt. Airy today, though.  So close, yet so far...

Yep, it was a fun storm though, can't complain. never know how long it will be till another comes.

It was great... Taught my 11 year old step daughter how to sled... It was her first big storm that she can remember. I had 12.75 here in Saluda NC and at work in Tryon NC had 3 inches of wintery spooge... I got to use my stepfather's 9HP snowblower... Threw that slush 30 ft....

I really enjoyed the storm too.  Sure, I wish I had gotten those 12+ inch totals, but the snowfall this morning was simply beautiful.  Snow falling from about 7 AM until 12:30 PM, changing between light to moderate.  They were just beautiful flakes under that ULL.  My kids really enjoyed this snowfall.  They're finally getting to the age where they can have more fun with it.

I was shocked when I looked outside and we had sleet. Most of the time, the warm nose does not make it to Hildebran, but is sure did this time. According to reports I have read, the sleet/snow line went through Rutherford College, which is ~5 miles up the road. But still yet, I have reached average snow for this winter. This is the first time in two full winters that I can say that. (Last time was 2010-2011 winter).

Great storm here. Definitely over performed my expectations. Ended up with around 4" of snow and sleet, followed by a glaze, followed by some rain and melting, followed by about another 1/4" of snow. A great snow day...or two.

And disagree 100% about the warmth. Bring the cold. It's got most of the year to be warm. I'm ready for the next one. Now let's go get it! :)

Over-running over performed here and am greatful for my seasonal avg on a Tuesday afternoon. Port mortum I will be interested to see how that convective line raising ahead along the FL peninsula Wednesday evening disrupted moisture transport into the SE Wednesday night. The storm certainly looked like a late phase with the UL playing ketchup. Not as big as I expected for some areas, and not as much ice which is probably a good thing. Ready for Spring svr...

well this was a storm that keeps on giving lol.  going on day 4 stuck at home :lmao:  still no bare spots even after a lot of melting yesterday afternoon.  the roads are now a skating rink in the neighborhood...i think i have heard maybe one car sound the last three days

it is gorgeous though - sun on the snow through the trees  is pretty cool.  it was glowing last night when the moon came up.  so far going on 9 days this year with snow on the ground :thumbsup: that layer of sleet and ice really helped delay the melting...ended up with about 9" or 10" and still at least half that on the ground

Storm really reminded me a lot of Jan 1996 around the triad.

1) plenty of cold preceding

2) heart of storm featured great sleet storm for most.

3) Backside snow awesome with both storm.

That storm was followed in 5 days by another 4 inch storm which made it a truly memorable wintry period. Plus being in early Jan melting was not as quick.

We lucked out here in Northern Lexington with predominantly sleet and snow.

Right to my South closer to i-20; there was as much as 1/2 MORE ICE for people.

Michelle?  I migth have had a little under a quarter inch if even that much this way.. you?

I can't get out of my driveway right now.. still white and pure ice sheets... and it's 40F and took a long time to get below freezing last night.  Amazing how sleet can really help to slow melting.

We lucked out here in Northern Lexington with predominantly sleet and snow.

Right to my South closer to i-20; there was as much as 1/2 MORE ICE for people.

Michelle? I migth have had a little under a quarter inch if even that much this way.. you?

I can't get out of my driveway right now.. still white and pure ice sheets... and it's 40F and took a long time to get below freezing last night. Amazing how sleet can really help to slow melting.

It isn't surprising at all that CAE got a good bit of IP because 850's were in the IP range of +1 to +3 for early part of it before they rose to typical ZR range of +3 to +5.

Great storm here. Definitely over performed my expectations. Ended up with around 4" of snow and sleet, followed by a glaze, followed by some rain and melting, followed by about another 1/4" of snow. A great snow day...or two.

And disagree 100% about the warmth. Bring the cold. It's got most of the year to be warm. I'm ready for the next one. Now let's go get it! :)

Woohoo we are roasting today!  NAM has us above 50F today, I say bring on spring.  But Euro/GFS say cold dumps back into US, since we will be going into March maybe it won't be as bad.

For this board & other's personal safety... I hope we don't start to see a triple phaser anytime soon into March on modeling.  There are some ridiculous solutions floating around out there.

Kind of hoping we do.  I have a morbid fascination with crazypants weather.  Except hailstorms, because I've had spent enough replacing windows and screens and roofs to last a lifetime.

Sitting at a balmy 53 atm after a forecasted high of 45 today. Melting ahoy!

Nice storm, my kids and I enjoyed it. First time the little one had seen anything more than 1/2". Heading towards the equator next week so will get my fill of heat before heading back to the cackalack!

Archived