Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Banter II

jburns

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming a grand min occurs, would you expect winters colder/snowier than this one? Or are you saying this would be the norm over, say, something like last winter?

It will likely be classified as the Modern Minimum, could be the Great Modern Min based on the drop from 23-24-beyond, the sun is taking a nap, question is, for how long, 1-2 cycles, 3-4, no one knows.  What we do know is we have a boat load of Satellites measuring every fart, not something optical glass during the Maunder and Dalton periods could resolve for the historical record, but we know it was a period of low / very low activity over several / many cycles.  Dalton corresponded with a VEI big boy, Tambora.

VEI is something to keep on eye on, few realize the impact a VEI7 would cause in the modern age, let alone a 8, which would be a game changer from a humanity standpoint, Miller A's aside.  These do happen, we have no real handle on when, stats give a handle on frequency, only that.  Some of you know my background, I am a Biochemist by education, not trade, however, energy is  proportional to heat, if not explicitly implied, one can derive.  Educated guess is with a lull in high energy particles bombarding the atmosphere, energy and heat decreases.

Questions arise, is this for real, and how long does it last.  No clue, as does anyone, research would indicate this is more than a hypostesis, which is about to be tested in the modern age.  I do believe in global climate change, maybe a little left of center.  Simple experiment, two cars in a Wal-Mart parking lot, one standard ATP, the other CO2 at atmospheric pressure, which one is hotter?  We cannot liberate the amount of Carbon it took the earth to store over hundred of millions of year over the course of several 100 years and not feel the ramiafications (+150yrs into the industrial age).  

Does Amy Wilmoth from Wral get her reports from here? I was just watching the news just a bit ago she said we had some reports of a dusting this morning... 1 from moore county 1 by the airport and 1 from roxboro though most people probably didn't see it *something* like most people still trying to get over saturday night.

Though their future radar showed some zr Tuesday morning for my area back towards the triad.

Came across this during the early morning.  What was formerly a Servco gas station that became a place where fruit/vegetables are sold had its roof collapse from the heavy snow that accumulated on it.  That station's been there for as long as I can remember.  Funny how it took a heavy wet snowpack to bring it down after it's stood up to the numerous damaging severe storms and windy days where winds exceeded 35-40mph:

s0v18o.jpg

The Eisenhower Tree guarding the 17th hole at Augusta National fell victim to the ice storm.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2014-02-16/masters-landmark-ikes-tree-suffers-major-damage-removed

attachicon.gifike 2_thumb1.jpg

I figured Augusta National would take a lot of damage when I saw the totals there.  They'll have their work cut out for them to clean it up before the tournament.

It will likely be classified as the Modern Minimum, could be the Great Modern Min based on the drop from 23-24-beyond, the sun is taking a nap, question is, for how long, 1-2 cycles, 3-4, no one knows. What we do know is we have a boat load of Satellites measuring every fart, not something optical glass during the Maunder and Dalton periods could resolve for the historical record, but we know it was a period of low / very low activity over several / many cycles. Dalton corresponded with a VEI big boy, Tambora.

VEI is something to keep on eye on, few realize the impact a VEI7 would cause in the modern age, let alone a 8, which would be a game changer from a humanity standpoint, Miller A's aside. These do happen, we have no real handle on when, stats give a handle on frequency, only that. Some of you know my background, I am a Biochemist by education, not trade, however, energy is proportional to heat, if not explicitly implied, one can derive. Educated guess is with a lull in high energy particles bombarding the atmosphere, energy and heat decreases.

Questions arise, is this for real, and how long does it last. No clue, as does anyone, research would indicate this is more than a hypostesis, which is about to be tested in the modern age. I do believe in global climate change, maybe a little left of center. Simple experiment, two cars in a Wal-Mart parking lot, one standard ATP, the other CO2 at atmospheric pressure, which one is hotter? We cannot liberate the amount of Carbon it took the earth to store over hundred of millions of year over the course of several 100 years and not feel the ramiafications (+150yrs into the industrial age).

Very interesting stuff, and it'll be fascinating to see how it all plays out. Lots of people would be caught unprepared if we start to see things play out the way they did during the Maunder Min. That's getting out there on the speculation front, but it's prudent to at least be aware of the possibilities....

I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people on here have never heard of that tree until today.

Hell, half the people haven't heard of Dwight D.  either, lol.  Just means they are uneducated and lack curiosity :)  Those of us in the know, were very interested!  I bet I could beat the crap out of you at Trivial Pursuit :)  T

Archived