joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Deathband Storm, Obs Part 2

stormtracker

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha how has DCA only recorded light snow obs for the past 6 hours?

I'm about 2.5 miles from DCA and visibility right now is about 2 miles. It hasn't dropped to 1/2 mile at any point tonight that I was looking out the window. In fact, rates as measured by visibility have been completely unimpressive compared to previous big storms.

With mostly sleet right now, of course, things are wide open. I think people overstate snowfall rates quite a bit around here, especially regarding heavy snow.

Looks like sleet is working up to Rte 50 according to the CC...

Starting to hear some pingers mix in with the heavy flakes here in Crofton.

As of 3:45, we've got 6.5" total, which is 1.5" in the last hour (4.0" in 4 hours).  Temp 27.1, dewpoint now up to 25.0.  Winds N at 5 mph.

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC330 AM EST THU FEB 13 2014VAZ053-131200-FAIRFAX-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FAIRFAX330 AM EST THU FEB 13 2014...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST FRIDAY....REST OF THE OVERNIGHT...SNOW. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES.ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOWNEAR 100 PERCENT. .TODAY...SNOW AND SLEET IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW...SLEET AND RAININ THE AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO5 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITHGUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT. .TONIGHT...SNOW. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES. LOWS INTHE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT. 

Um... I am closing in on 8 now... so 1-3 more puts me near 10... 3 to 5 this afternoon.... 13-16... and total is supposed to be 8-12?  Huh?  LWX, why you confuse us?

EDIT:

Visibility up, a snow/sleet mix (mostly sleet I think) now in Crofton.  6.5" of snow on the nose before the changeover.

Funny -- This is EXACTLY how much snow I got south of RIC during the 12/18/2009 storm, before changing over to sleet and eventually rain.  Oh well, at least we have deformation banding chances later today to get this area into double digits.  In the meantime, I wouldn't mind another 1/2" of sleet/snow to get me up to an even 7". 

Archived