• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion II

Wow

What's strange is there are some readings now above freezing in the mountains, like brasstown which is 34 and blue ridge is 35. It's colder in southeast ga than there.  Wonder where this bubble of warmth came from.

meanwhile, under 26 degree skies, there is a "raging" sleet storm with freezing drizzle. yummy.

Mostly the 850mb low. It has been showing its presence here via soundings over the last few days. But judging by spc meso... caa should be working its way in soon.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Harv311

Mostly the 850mb low. It has been showing its presence here via soundings over the last few days. But judging by spc meso... caa should be working its way in soon.

What are the models saying about the track of the low and the 0c line

it is very strange. a raging ice storm now lol.  moderate sleet/zr falling and its getting icy fast.  its 28 here now ugh

850's are above freezing over me and almost over Brasstown Bald. Keep in mind, Brasstown Bald is almost at the 850 mb level anyway. The 925's are below freezing as well as the 700's. But there are warmer SE winds at 850 pushing right over north Georgia

Look at the different levels: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_spc_meso_analysis_19.php

What are the models saying about the track of the low and the 0c line

Well... 

If most believe the model concenus then it will go over the outer banks of NC with the 850 line further west of SLP. I know for a fact the SLP is going further east so the upper levels should follow suit.

Overall if you've been following I think the heaviest axis still sets up a tad east of what models have been show.

mcd0096.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0096   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0640 PM CST WED FEB 12 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...THE CNTRL CAROLINAS AND E-CNTRL GA   CONCERNING...FREEZING RAIN    VALID 130040Z - 130615Z   SUMMARY...FREEZING RAIN WITH RATES OF 0.03-0.10 IN/HR WILL BECOME   INCREASINGLY COMMON THIS EVENING AS THE NEXT AREA OF CONVECTIVE   SHOWERS SHIFTS NEWD FROM SRN GA ATOP PERSISTENT SUB-FREEZING SURFACE   TEMPERATURES.   DISCUSSION...PRECIPITATION HAD TEMPORARILY DIMINISHED ACROSS PARTS   OF ERN GA INTO CNTRL/SRN SC...LIKELY OWING TO SUBSIDENCE IN THE WAKE   OF EXTENSIVE CONVECTION THAT HAD DISSIPATED ALONG THE S ATLANTIC   COAST. UPSTREAM...SCATTERED CONVECTION HAS RECENTLY FORMED   IMMEDIATELY N OF THE SURFACE CYCLONE OVER THE FL BIG BEND. AS ROBUST   MID-LEVEL DCVA AND ISENTROPIC ASCENT SHIFT NEWD THROUGH THE   EVENING...THIS CONVECTION WILL EVENTUALLY OVERSPREAD SUB-FREEZING   SURFACE TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT AND PARTS OF THE COASTAL   PLAIN. WITH NELY SURFACE WINDS BACKING TO NLY AS CYCLOGENESIS OCCURS   OFF THE S ATLANTIC COAST...EROSION OF THE SUB-FREEZING LAYER WILL   REMAIN SLOW ACROSS THE COASTAL PLAIN. OVER CNTRL NC...INTENSE   LOW-LEVEL WAA WILL AID IN AN ABOVE-FREEZING WARM NOSE SAMPLED IN 00Z   CHS/MHX RAOBS TO SHIFT NWWD. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN SNOW   TRANSITIONING TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BY LATE EVENING.

It looks like the radar is trying to fill back in   ;)

I believe you are right, which isn't good for places down your way and further south.  Thankfully we just started glazing about an hour ago, but areas to our south have been hit hard.  I can't believe the amount of sleet outside, the only thing I can compare it to is a small glacier.  

Has anyone noticed the huge 45-50dbz "cell" over Birmingham?  Ground reports of 2"/HR rates.

I saw that earlier......while it probably won't hold together, it does still look,like it's shifting more east than NE, so the northern parts of Atlanta may get in it. There's still a lot of moisture to our SW, just not filling in but still a ways to go. Finally all snow here the last 45 minutes or so........I already have about .75 inches on top of all the ice accum.

I saw that earlier......while it probably won't hold together, it does still look,like it's shifting more east than NE, so the northern parts of Atlanta may get in it. There's still a lot of moisture to our SW, just not filling in but still a ways to go. Finally all snow here the last 45 minutes or so........I already have about .75 inches on top of all the ice accum.

sweet!  so that .75 is from the recent changeover? maybe there is hope for a little more snow after all lol.  radar looks pretty good if we can just get the atmosphere to cool down

Some of the changeover to sleet and North Carolina was due to a drop and precipitation rates. Models showed little to no moisture in the snow growth region through the afternoon, so it was relying on intense uplift to generate snow. It will be interesting to see what happens with these next areas of heavier precip moving in.

sweet!  so that .75 is from the recent changeover? maybe there is hope for a little more snow after all lol.  radar looks pretty good if we can just get the atmosphere to cool down

We'll get some more.......doesn't look like we have to worry about soundings any longer. Should be mostly snow for everyone north of Atlanta by now. If we can get the deformation band to rotate through here and strengthen that would be a serious bonus! Still awhule to go with this one. The post mortem on this winter storm will be really interesting.....one of us needs to start a thread tomorrow with a poll on it saying bust or not and give reasoning. Would be pretty interesting to hear thoughts.

Under heavy returns here in Rutherford County and it continues to be IP. But, that also looks to be moving eastward.

Some of the changeover to sleet and North Carolina was due to a drop and precipitation rates. Models showed little to no moisture in the snow growth region through the afternoon, so it was relying on intense uplift to generate snow. It will be interesting to see what happens with these next areas of heavier precip moving in.

Robert is honking:

For Alabama, northern Georgia, southern and eastern TN, and western Carolinas tonight....this upper low means business. It is producing extreme snowfall rates right now as it slowly crawls through Birmingham. This will slowly pivot northeast slowly overnight and into the western Carolinas, turning the sleet back over to heavy snow in it's wake. Cities to be affected will be Chattanooga, Rome, Atlanta, Athens, Asheville, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, and Hickory by morning. The core of the spinning upper low will produce extreme snowfall rates and some convective snow is possible at some point on it's trek.

What's strange is there are some readings now above freezing in the mountains, like brasstown which is 34 and blue ridge is 35. It's colder in southeast ga than there.  Wonder where this bubble of warmth came from.

meanwhile, under 26 degree skies, there is a "raging" sleet storm with freezing drizzle. yummy.

It looks like the 12Z Euro and GFS did have Brasstown Bald's 850 near +1 C fwiw.

Robert is honking:

For Alabama, northern Georgia, southern and eastern TN, and western Carolinas tonight....this upper low means business. It is producing extreme snowfall rates right now as it slowly crawls through Birmingham. This will slowly pivot northeast slowly overnight and into the western Carolinas, turning the sleet back over to heavy snow in it's wake. Cities to be affected will be Chattanooga, Rome, Atlanta, Athens, Asheville, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, and Hickory by morning. The core of the spinning upper low will produce extreme snowfall rates and some convective snow is possible at some point on it's trek.

Robert seems like a good met, but I'm not sure I buy the ULL slamming Rome/Chat and ATL/AHN...

Archived