joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion II

Wow

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro at 12 appears further south east with the low compared to 00z. Hard to tell though as the system is a little faster and last nights run had a very elongated low. 

lol   at hr24 held steady ....still slams the upstate.....still looks to be all snow based on 850's.   may be a warm nose at lower levels i'm not seeing

but as you said .....it is weaker than lat n ights run

Hey Cold and packbacker......

what'd I tell you guys about the wedge kicking this bad boy east?  Straight up the GS just east of Hatteras and boomsville for ALL of central NC (including y'all).  :)

That would make sense. It's currently 24 degrees F here in Southern Wake County and we're getting really heavy snow. It'll be interesting to see if any part of the warm nose makes it in here now. I've seen totals go up. I know Allan said he put out his last map but would if he would change it!

@30 nice deform band showing up from around HKY to CLT and central NC. Even if there is mixing that alone would give a healthy six inches it looks like.  As always with map below the usual stuff applies about mixing and totals blah blah blah...

ztbPLGq.png

If this were to be true, that would be some serious snow late tonight into tomorrow into central SC, but I guess time will tell.

Hot off of the press, the 12Z Euro for ATL metro has ~0.60" more qpf still yet to go with ~0.35" in form of IP/ZR and ~0.25" in the form of 2.5" of snow. So, If the 0.35" is mainly IP, that would mean ~1.5" of additional IP in addition to the 2.5" of snow. With already nearly 1" of IP on the ground, that could still mean 1" + 1.5"  + 2.5" = ~5" total S/IP, which would certainly still be a major hit for ATL by any measures I've ever seen, especially considering half of it being sleet. The 0Z Euro also implied a similar 5" total. A long way to go folks, and it is starting to pick up again now!

Pressures continue to drop out ahead of the main SLP. All indications still point this off shore along the trough axis. No in land Hatteras runner, no coastal hugger but eventually over the Gulf Stream. Going to be very interesting what happens when it hits the GS.

The red lines on that map are a little off.  Following SPC mesoanalysis graphics, the strongest pressure falls right now are over Gainsville and Lake City, Florida.  The low will move inland next few hours, similar to what the 12Z Euro is suggesting.  From there it inland over the coastal plain of South Carolina, and then eventually over Pamlico Sound, NC.  I don't see this getting over the Gulf Stream.  Pressure falls don't support it.

post-1348-0-46466400-1392229397_thumb.gi

Yep those returns over you are headed my way. This is great. If this can bomb off shore and not hug the coast we may not have mixing issues. 

Getting worse by the minute up here in M-ville.. visibility getting low.. flakes slowly growing in size.  Amazing to watch.

it's interesting the radar is already pivoting from s to n. tells me the phasing is already starting to occur. makes sense given the slp placement on the euro beig slightly inland up the coast. hope hky can skirt the sleet. if we do i think this is historical. if not, then it's probably another 10-12 incher. i've seen a lot of those here. the sleet barrier always keeps us from those obscene totals you see inthe mountains/far northern foothills.

You almost never see this. Wedge getting wrapped up around LP.

Eric Carpenter ‏@eric_carpenter 20m

@spann @NWSJacksonMS @JimCantore incredible cold wedge into MS!! Image ~ 2500ft from RAP model at 4 pm CST pic.twitter.com/z3j22YyVu1

Does that help draw in more cold air? or is just cool to see?

Just wondering...thanks

it's interesting the radar is already pivoting from s to n. tells me the phasing is already starting to occur. makes sense given the slp placement on the euro beig slightly inland up the coast. hope hky can skirt the sleet. if we do i think this is historical. if not, then it's probably another 10-12 incher. i've seen a lot of those here. the sleet barrier always keeps us from those obscene totals you see inthe mountains/far northern foothills.

Yeah it's going to be close, but you've got to live on the edge to get the jackpot. ;)

Let's watch where that 850 low goes.

Hot off of the press, the 12Z Euro for ATL metro has ~0.60" more qpf still yet to go with ~0.35" in form of IP/ZR and ~0.25" in the form of 2.5" of snow. So, If the 0.35" is mainly IP, that would mean ~1.5" of additional IP in addition to the 2.5" of snow. With already nearly 1" of IP on the ground, that could still mean 1" + 1.5"  + 2.5" = ~5" total S/IP, which would certainly still be a major hit for ATL by any measures I've ever seen, especially considering half of it being sleet. The 0Z Euro also implied a similar 5" total. A long way to go folks, and it is starting to pick up again now!

larry check out the rap. I mentioned it in the other thread but it's going to be quickly drowned out by nc posters. It more or less agrees with the euro on those amounts.

You almost never see this. Wedge getting wrapped up around LP.

Eric Carpenter ‏@eric_carpenter 20m

@spann @NWSJacksonMS @JimCantore incredible cold wedge into MS!! Image ~ 2500ft from RAP model at 4 pm CST pic.twitter.com/z3j22YyVu1

BgSt-ITCQAEAnX_.png 

It started showing it going into south or southeastern alabama and has shifted west with future runs. An incredible show of strength by our friend who has been missing for so long

I know we are basically nowcasting at this point but aside from the HRRR and specifically referencing the 12z runs are there any models that still hold any real weight?  There are some here saying that you've got to look at the position of the features as they are unfolding in lieu of what the models were predicting.  How has the Euro done.  If it's projections need to shift east....how far?

The snow in GSO And CLT is impressive right now, but the fact that you rates have been so impressive highlights the other problem, that WAA is occurring and 850 hPa temperatures are rising. Radar dual-pol CC shows the Sleet/Snow axis is near Charlotte currently and is rapidly rising N throughout the piedmont of NC (about to overtake Raleigh). 

Archived