• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jay

look at any model

the period of 21z the lift pushes North and basically goes poofy 

7H lift form 18z to 21z pushes north then NE into GOM then poof

same with 5H lift but further north

Well.... This is all because we are in the dryslot... Lol. It's why flake size and intensity is decreasing dramatically despite radar appearance.

jay

look at any model

the period of 21z the lift pushes North and basically goes poofy 

7H lift form 18z to 21z pushes north then NE into GOM then poof

same with 5H lift but further north

Yeah the 700mb warm front is moving north of us now...part of the reason too that snow growth isn't as good...the better mid-level temps have moved north along with the best lift.

ALB just getting abused right now...highest reflectivity's in the entire region seem to be moving through the Capital District right now. 35-40dbz raking.

And it was epic! I was able to shovel twice in the last hour. Band approached at just around 2pm. I was able to shovel 3 times in the last 1.5 hours, and each time there was more and more snow than the last. (Basically, I keep shoveling as I keep taking smoke breaks to enjoy the snowfall, it's awesome). Definitely some half dollar sized flakes and I experienced that "pouring of snow" that so many have referenced through this storm systems lifespan. So awesome.

What's not awesome is having classes cancelled so I didn't go in today, only to have work think they still need you. Who goes out to eat in this? LOL

Went sleet for a little bit in salem but getting back to heavy at times windswept snow

There are already a lot of downed branches on Lafayette street, trees and lines are caked in snow, swaying with every breeze and when it falls on the car it plops, soaked, I think when we go back to rain and winds cranks there are going to be serious power issues on the north shore.

Roads are a disaster so far.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
337 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

strong winter storm lingers into tonight...

MAZ015-016-140000-
/O.EXT.KBOX.WW.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-140214T0000Z/
SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOSTON...QUINCY
337 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

Winter weather advisory now in effect until 7 PM EST this
evening...

* locations, city of boston.

* accumulations, snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches before a
changeover to sleet and freezing rain.

* timing, snow changing to sleet and freezing rain this evening.

* impacts, hazardous travel through this evening.

* winds, northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.

precautionary/preparedness actions...

a winter weather advisory is issued when snow and/or ice is
forecast to develop in the affected areas, but accumulations are
expected to be light. any snow or ice would make driving and
walking difficult, but not impossible, on untreated roadways
and sidewalks. when temperatures are below freezing, motorists
need to be especially careful on bridges and overpasses where
slippery spots can easily develop.

post-904-0-18188300-1392324090_thumb.jpg

Also, re the g-wave suspicions earlier.  They happen at all scales, large and small, but on the synoptic scale, it would appear plausible that the southerly parallel axis, where the rather upright isentropic lift resulted, may very well have necessitated a counterbalancing negative node on the immediate polarward side. I trapped this image from earlier this afternoon, shortly after folks reported suspicious wind accelerations, so as to annotate this discussion.  Notice that there is then a counter-balancing axis of lift to the negative node yet farther N.  These are restoring forces working in a static gravitational medium, such that it emerges an "elasticity" to the atmosphere.  Fascinating to see this displayed so vividly on radar...

post-904-0-40004500-1392324303_thumb.jpg

Here North of Brattleboro VT I have 6 inches which the heated rain gauge shows .40 " rain. Should be measuring pretty well as there isnt much wind.   That gives us 15 to 1 ratio. Pretty dry snow.  I can testify to that having just blown the driveway.   Still cold here too at 24.

see  WWW.havenfarm.com   for webcam..

Archived