joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crunching the latest data 18-24" looks like a good estimate NW of the city with pockets close to 30" if the pieces align just right. 12-18" for the city and 10-18" for LI looks about right. These numbers are close to the Euro with the latest RAP/HRRR estimated snowfall per hour rates. Historic storm for most of the area. Maybe not in NYC proper, but this is a beast from GA to ME. Going to make a high end NESIS rating.

Jesus, that's pretty bold. I'm a Central PA guy who lurks, but doesn't usually post, in the other sub-forums for into and obs. This post has really piqued my interest, though. If you see those kinds of numbers in your NW burbs, what do you think back west into PA?

I wouldn`t worry about you`re surface temps  its snowing in Toms River . Once those heavier rates fly over you . you will snow until 10 or 11 at knyc . and in that time you will pick up a lot of snow . When we flip it may be the best lift is gone and there`s a little light rain and then drizzle . But NYC has plenty of time

Jesus, that's pretty bold. I'm a Central PA guy who lurks, but doesn't usually post, in the other sub-forums for into and obs. This post has really piqued my interest, though. If you see those kinds of numbers in your NW burbs, what do you think back west into PA?

QPF once you cross into N PA drops off. SE PA however should do great.

yes here in matawan and it's coming down really heavy. Shame it goes to heavy rain. Was hoping for a miracle when I woke.Are we still supposed to get backend? Looking at radar now looks like after rain it shuts down.

Radar wont show the picture for later on - we're still a good 15-18 hours from that. We will get snizzle/dry slotted later after turning to some rain most likely, but we're still prime for some back end snows. 

The RUC however is showing a more pronounced warm layer on soundings by 15z at 900mb, so there could be a lot of rain/sleet by then on LI and NYC if that's true.

if it's raining in NYC at 15z (10am), in 3 and 1/2 hours, then this front-end thump will be nowhere near what folks are hoping for

if it's raining in NYC at 15z (10am), in 3 and 1/2 hours, then this front-end thump will be nowhere near what folks are hoping for

May be closer to 11  in that 4  hour span , there `s 6 to 9  in there and with 2 plus already on the ground , think 10 is a layup

Archived