joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R/S line looks like it's starting to surge a little faster now on dual pol... ugh. Hopefully that starts to slow down as it approaches the area-models seem to do that. The dry slot though looks like it's starting to surge as well, it's working its way into DE.

Yeah noticed that. It looks to be around Toms River now. if it continues I don't see 12"+ totals along the immediate coast.

Smithtown, NY (north shore of Suffolk County)

7:230AM Snow has become moderate to heavy on the past few minutes.  The temperature continued a steady clib all night ntil 6:00AM when it peaked at 31.4  Currently 30.7F.  There is a good breeze blowing with more of an easterly component at times than our previous snowstorms.  It is still basically northeast but direction seems a little variable.

Haven't been out but it looks like about 2".

Moderate snow in Rocky Point.  Still small flakes.  Band looks to be on the doorstep. Plots from BNL ...

post-428-0-32441300-1392294838_thumb.gif

post-428-0-68750700-1392294847_thumb.gif

post-428-0-83681300-1392294856_thumb.gif

Yeah noticed that. It looks to be around Toms River now. if it continues I don't see 12"+ totals along the immediate coast.

From this front end dump and backend CCB it is still very likely. The banding off the ocean is amazing and my father at my house in west islip is saying its like a whiteout with the heaviest snow hes seen in a long time ( im working today in selden )

R/S line looks like it's starting to surge a little faster now on dual pol... ugh. Hopefully that starts to slow down as it approaches the area-models seem to do that. The dry slot though looks like it's starting to surge as well, it's working its way into DE.

Hearing reports of sleet/rain in Philly.  Was this modeled at this time? Not freaking out, just curious.

On a different note, not sure I have seen heavier snow (UWS) in quite some time.

The funny thing with this storm is that the primary form of precipitation (in terms of time with that type) will probably be rain, as we go from 3-4 hours of heavy snow to rain and drizzle and dry slotting for prpbably over 12 hours, back to snow for 2-3 hours on the backend. Very interesting storm that will leave a nice coat of white to remember it

Heavy snow, blowing snow, low visibility and very windy in Port Jefferson...getting close to blizzard conditions on the N. Shore of Long Island and probably at them in open spaces and near the water..

Archived