• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

Im n/w of the city right now in morris county and usually id agree with you with the bigger totals to the n/w (I especially thought so with this set up) -- but looking at the radar, it appears heaviest bands will train over city and LI, which would lead me to think immediate city does just as good as n/w

just my obs, not sure if that will work out but I could see this being pretty equal throughout the region... believe me, id love you to be right, but just seeing the heaviest returns east of me rather than n/w like much of the guidance was placing the heavier axis

i'm in Morris County myself. You should be looking at radar out of KDIX. Anyway, the heaviest of all the banding on the front end is slated for LI but we'll do great out here too. Take a nap and look again.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really shocked at how little snow has accumulated. 1/2" and 34 degrees. Central LI. This could be a huge bust for the area.

Look what is south of us-temps will crash again as this pivots through. We still have a very long way to go, even all the way out by you. If anything this makes it worse as what snow will fall is of the heavy, wet kind.

29 in Dyker Heights close to 2 inches . Those rates in Toms River will work there way into the city and Nassau County then points N . In between 7am  and 10am  -  you may pick up 6- 8 inches in that window alone .  Not sure how long after 10 am the city holds on  .

10 inches  @ KNYC upfront was the call on the HRRR , and looks in line .

you really think the city will have flipped in four hours' time? and if so, given radar returns to our south doesn't that mean many hours of pretty heavy rain thereafter?

Im n/w of the city right now in morris county and usually id agree with you with the bigger totals to the n/w (I especially thought so with this set up) -- but looking at the radar, it appears heaviest bands will train over city and LI, which would lead me to think immediate city does just as good as n/w

just my obs, not sure if that will work out but I could see this being pretty equal throughout the region... believe me, id love you to be right, but just seeing the heaviest returns east of me rather than n/w like much of the guidance was placing the heavier axis

Typical early storm freakout... relax, you will be more than fine. 

It's a good sign that the bands are having a little trouble moving north so far and that the whole evolution is slowing some. That will only prolong the duration and is a sign that the storm is really beginning to wrap up and organize. The heaviest front end now looks slated for late morning. This reminds me so much of 96'.

.."this reminds me of '96"...that storm was 20 degrees colder!..that one had no chance of a c/o..

this one is a nail biter out here..waiting for the c/o..32*..moderate snow in eastport

.."this reminds me of '96"...that storm was 20 degrees colder!..that one had no chance of a c/o..

this one is a nail biter out here..waiting for the c/o..32*..moderate snow in eastport

I switched over in that storm all the way up here for awhile. I see most areas only briefly changing over. Not everyone here lives by the ocean.

Just woke up and thought the same thing. Went to sleep at 1Am with a dusting already down and not more that a half inch 5 hours later.

Poor snow growth and light rates... you guys will be singing a different tune in a few hours.  You won't jackpot (nor will I in Queens) but you'll have a memorable front end. 

Sounds good to me..

Mount holly

THE BAND OF HEAVY SNOW EXTENDED FROM PHILADELPHIA EAST THROUGH OCEAN

COUNTY. SNOWFALL RATES OF AROUND THREE TO FOUR INCHES PER HOUR HAS

OCCURRED IN THIS BAND. THE BAND WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH AND

AFFECT THE NORTHERN PHILADELPHIA SUBURBS AND CENTRAL NEW JERSEY

BETWEEN NOW AND 8 AM.

you really think the city will have flipped in four hours' time? and if so, given radar returns to our south doesn't that mean many hours of pretty heavy rain thereafter?

Not sure if its 10 -11 , hoping that when we flip 90 perc of the 1st round will b frozen and then you dealin with crud , until the show tonite

Poor snow growth and light rates... you guys will be singing a different tune in a few hours.  You won't jackpot (nor will I in Queens) but you'll have a memorable front end. 

Agree. The mid level frontogenesis is just starting . Once those heavy bands make it onshore temperatures will wet-bulb back to freezing, and accumulations will be more pronounced.

It's a good sign that the bands are having a little trouble moving north so far and that the whole evolution is slowing some. That will only prolong the duration and is a sign that the storm is really beginning to wrap up and organize. The heaviest front end now looks slated for late morning. This reminds me so much of 96'.

Timing is more critical in this setup.

Comparing this to '96, even for interior areas, is silly IMO.

Middlesex County looks to be Obliterated by that band. Must.. stay.. awake..

yes here in matawan and it's coming down really heavy. Shame it goes to heavy rain. Was hoping for a miracle when I woke.Are we still supposed to get backend? Looking at radar now looks like after rain it shuts down.

Archived