joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he was in sleet/ice but switching bk to the 3hr rates. dont care if we mix during height just want the 3+ stuff for 3 hours thats all I ask!

We are going to do that dance, too, later this morning... you can see the battle taking shape on the p-type maps... good news is that the lift is prolific with that moisture slug and we will likely have 8-12" by the time we do flip and/or dryslot.

Looking at radar I think the HRRR / RAP are pretty much right on. Mix line near toms river as obs showed them back and forth with heavy precip. Mix line extends SW to WSW from there. Probably just rain now far SNJ / SE NJ. North of I-195 and especially north of US 1 this front end will deliver the goods 8-12". Mix will approach the Southern & eastern areas but not before at least 6" down. Signal for back side CCB is strong for NNJ / NYC w/ 3-6" perhaps even 8". I am still not 100% on that part. Almost always surprises there. Most of NNJ / NYC area should end up 12-18" w/ 20" or so where max rates are realized on both front end and back side while avoiding mixing issues in between.

Yes!  We're finally into the green zone, i.e., the 20-25 DBZ zone on the radar.  Timed my wakeup pretty good as it was light snow most of the early morning, while I slept.  Snowing moderately here since about 5:30 am, when I woke up, with almost 2" on the ground.  Just walked aroud and it's still a relatively dry snow, but it does pack somewhat - temps are up to about 26F from a low of 22F several hours ago.  Can't wait for the insane snow...

Here in Metuchen/Edison, NJ area - hard to believe disabling profile info saves that much bandwidth - certainly makes it hard to follow the obs threads...

...whats your temp?...i'm already 32*..that could be rain by the time it gets here.

Surface temps will be slightly above freezing but precip rates will keep that snow when it starts blitzing shortly, won't changeover till mid levels warm in the morning, this is all happening pretty much as forecasted.

Looking at radar I think the HRRR / RAP are pretty much right on. Mix line near toms river as obs showed them back and forth with heavy precip. Mix line extends SW to WSW from there. Probably just rain now far SNJ / SE NJ. North of I-195 and especially north of US 1 this front end will deliver the goods 8-12". Mix will approach the Southern & eastern areas but not before at least 6" down. Signal for back side CCB is strong for NNJ / NYC w/ 3-6" perhaps even 8". I am still not 100% on that part. Almost always surprises there. Most of NNJ / NYC area should end up 12-18" w/ 20" or so where max rates are realized on both front end and back side while avoiding mixing issues in between.

Yeah, I'd go with 10-15" SE to NW across the city with 12-18" just N & W... feel there is room for a few more inches more than that with the CCB but those are fickle, as we know.  That said, the signal for strong backside deformation is evident on just about all guidance, it's just about where the heaviest axis sets up and where/how it pivots.  Positive surprises with the CCB also ... if it sets up just right, someone will tack on another 6-10". 

Agreed based on radar returns, within the hour that wall of white we were seeing on the models is going to arrive. Likely to be the heaviest we've seen all season.

Agreed based on radar returns, within the hour that wall of white we were seeing on the models is going to arrive. Likely to be the heaviest we've seen all season.

Bill Karins on MSNBC just said this will be the worst driving of the winter for NYC metro commuters. He's going 8-12 for the city, 18 north and west. Steady snow in Woodbridge.Awaiting the big bands. Bill Evans has us changing to rain at 10 am. All but the famous NW of 287. Whatever that means.

Yes!  We're finally into the green zone, i.e., the 20-25 DBZ zone on the radar.  Timed my wakeup pretty good as it was light snow most of the early morning, while I slept.  Snowing moderately here since about 5:30 am, when I woke up, with almost 2" on the ground.  Just walked aroud and it's still a relatively dry snow, but it does pack somewhat - temps are up to about 26F from a low of 22F several hours ago.  Can't wait for the insane snow...

Heh are you the only one awake at home? Just me and the dog and he just laid back down. Someone forgot to tell us we're grown men....

Crunching the latest data 18-24" looks like a good estimate NW of the city with pockets close to 30" if the pieces align just right. 12-18" for the city and 10-18" for LI looks about right. These numbers are close to the Euro with the latest RAP/HRRR estimated snowfall per hour rates. Historic storm for most of the area. Maybe not in NYC proper, but this is a beast from GA to ME. Going to make a high end NESIS rating.

Crunching the latest data 18-24" looks like a good estimate NW of the city with pockets close to 30" if the pieces align just right. 12-18" for the city and 10-18" for LI looks about right. These numbers are close to the Euro with the latest RAP/HRRR estimated snowfall per hour rates. Historic storm for most of the area. Maybe not in NYC proper, but this is a beast from GA to ME. Going to make a high end NESIS rating.

Gotta say yanks, you're putting it out there. I guess places like High Point could see 24, but you really think 12-18 for the city? Seems that would shock a lot of folks.

Im n/w of the city right now in morris county and usually id agree with you with the bigger totals to the n/w (I especially thought so with this set up) -- but looking at the radar, it appears heaviest bands will train over city and LI, which would lead me to think immediate city does just as good as n/w

just my obs, not sure if that will work out but I could see this being pretty equal throughout the region... believe me, id love you to be right, but just seeing the heaviest returns east of me rather than n/w like much of the guidance was placing the heavier axis

It's a good sign that the bands are having a little trouble moving north so far and that the whole evolution is slowing some. That will only prolong the duration and is a sign that the storm is really beginning to wrap up and organize. The heaviest front end now looks slated for late morning. This reminds me so much of 96'.

Im n/w of the city right now in morris county and usually id agree with you with the bigger totals to the n/w (I especially thought so with this set up) -- but looking at the radar, it appears heaviest bands will train over city and LI, which would lead me to think immediate city does just as good as n/w

just my obs, not sure if that will work out but I could see this being pretty equal throughout the region... believe me, id love you to be right, but just seeing the heaviest returns east of me rather than n/w like much of the guidance was placing the heavier axis

I noticed too but assumed that was going to fill in

29 in Dyker Heights close to 2 inches . Those rates in Toms River will work there way into the city and Nassau County then points N . In between 7am  and 10am  -  you may pick up 6- 8 inches in that window alone .  Not sure how long after 10 am the city holds on  .

10 inches  @ KNYC upfront was the call on the HRRR , and looks in line .

It's a good sign that the bands are having a little trouble moving north so far and that the whole evolution is slowing some. That will only prolong the duration and is a sign that the storm is really beginning to wrap up and organize. The heaviest front end now looks slated for late morning. This reminds me so much of 96'.

Do you buy rain by 10a as per Bill Evans?

but many of us are changing over by late morning; we'd hoped the heaviest thump would've gotten here sooner

Archived