• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTV afternoon discussion and map.

GIVEN THE DIFFERENCES BTWN AMERICAN AND REST OF THE MODELS WL USE
A BLEND BTWN HPC/ECMWF/GFS FOR QPF. THIS SUPPORTS TRACE TO 0.10
SLV/WESTERN DACKS TO 0.50 TO 0.75" ACRS THE CPV AND MOST OF VT.
EXPECTING A VERY SHARP EAST TO WEST GRADIENT ACRS OUR FA...MAKING
FOR AN EXTREMELY CHALLENGING SNOWFALL FCST. USING A 12 TO 1 SNOW
RATIO FOR THE VALLEYS AND 15 TO 1 FOR THE MTNS SUGGESTS 6 OR MORE
INCHES IS POSSIBLE FROM CPV AND POINTS EAST. THINKING AROUND 6
INCHES CPV...TO 6 TO 10 INCHES CENTRAL/EASTERN VT...WITH LOCALIZED
HIGHER AMOUNTS FROM KILLINGTON TO SUGARBUSH TO STOWE. THIS WL BE
SUBJECT TO CHANGE AS TRACK OF SFC LOW PRES AND ULVL DYNAMICS
CHANGE WITH EACH MODEL RUN. EXPECTING GFS/NAM TO TREND TWD THE
ECMWF/UKMET AND GEM SOLUTIONS BY THE 00Z RUNS TONIGHT. FCST TEMPS
WL BE NEAR NORMAL THURSDAY WITH LITTLE CHANGE ANTICIPATED
OVERNIGHT WITH CLOUDS/PRECIP.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I'm shivering under my shawl.

• Wednesday Night A slight chance of snow after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 12. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Thursday Snow likely, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 26. Northeast wind 6 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Same time period for ORH is 4-8.

That GYX map has an impressive swath of 10-14" across NH/Maine.  Of course, about 5% of that swath is a slightly less desirable color, including the Route 2 corridor in Franklin/Somerset Cty.  However, 8-10 is nothing to sneeze at - if it verifies, it would probably boost my snowpack to 30" or more, for the first time since 2009.

NAM is like opening up the arc on Indiana Jones. You see the solution and you are like...."It is beautiful..."  Will and I are like Indiana tell you don't look at it...don't look at it. All of the sudden..demons start to buzz around your head and your face melts off.

I really do not think its that good lol. That's the sad thing. Wish I was 75mi nw.

You have to think this is the run the GFS goes NW.

Feeling the "snowstorm of the season" scenarios slipping away here for eastern SNE...

While NAM is among the most favorable models for eastern SNE, 18Z NAM ticked significantly warmer...

850mb temps for KBOS up to 2.9C at 54h vs. -1.3C on 12Z NAM.

Still a great front-end thump before then

Feeling the "snowstorm of the season" scenarios slipping away here for eastern SNE...

While NAM is among the most favorable models for eastern SNE, 18Z NAM ticked significantly warmer...

850mb temps for KBOS up to 2.9C at 54h vs. -1.3C on 12Z NAM.

Still a great front-end thump before then

I never really have felt this one as much as I did last week.  Too many bugs.  We could get lucky but I think we have to rely on a big front end dump and the stinger modeled as well on alot of guidance.

I never really have felt this one as much as I did last week.  Too many bugs.  We could get lucky but I think we have to rely on a big front end dump and the stinger modeled as well on alot of guidance.

Agree... suboptimal high position, bowling ball miller A blowing its load too early... SNE was threading the needle on this one and things had to be just right for the bigger scenarios. We'll still have a decent front-end thump, but not anywhere near the blockbuster stuff in the midAtlantic. The weenie in me won't give up (still time!), but objective trends are against us.

Archived