EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bob. I need to brush up on upper level lows and tracking those. I tend to focus on 500 and SLP. Is the upper level low at 850?

Mods if this is banter feel free to move. I figure others may have similar questions as me. :)

We can discuss another day but 500 is where upper level lows are and the primary panel for making sense below it. Especially with coastals. 700 and 850 are mid levels. Vertically stacked and occluded are when slp through the upper levels are on top of each other. Like an eye. The good action happens before that. SNE doesn't like millers A's nearly as much as we do. When it goes right it bombs out and destroys us and then matures further north. Miller B's usually bomb out and destroy SNE while we discuss backside flurries in PA working down here. lol

ender - are you guys using a BlueGene machine for compute or a teracluster running TOSS?

I should have added the disclaimer that I'm not "one of those guys". When I refer to "we" I'm talking about us the US tax payers. My view into EMC is limited and largely based on reading published papers; which, by the way, there's a ton of knowledge conveyed within, and via some limited inside perspective of NCAR's modeling efforts and challenges that I've gained through a handful of friends in college that have built their career over there. That information, combined with a couple decades dealing with "big data" (God I hate that phrase) on the commercial scale, which is laughably small compared to the data assimilation scale, allows for at least a rudimentary foundation with which to compare the EC and GFS quality of product improvements over the last several years against their respective infrastructure in increases.

NCEP has made steady improvements in verification scores while being essentially capped on CPU and working memory. The European has seen verification improve in tandem with additional physical resources. It's much, much harder to continue to make good tasting lemonade when you have to keep reusing the same lemons as opposed to doing so with a few new lemons each time around. I'm making the assumption that necessity has bred ingenuity and a depth and breadth of resourcefulness at NCEP that simply hasn't been require in the past decade at the E.C. as they had the luxury of resources.

There'll come a point, not far down the road, when we're at relatively similar spatial resolution, and a bit thereafter from what I've been reading, when we'll have a competitive data assimilation paradigm as well. They'll still have less CPU scheduling challenges than we will, but we'll certainly have enough to run a global model at better than today's EC resolution. In short, we're going to be position to compete on a nearly equal infrastructure footing. That's the time when a decade of making lemonade out of rinds should come in handy.

Latest WPC Model Disco:

EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z UKMET / 12Z EC MEANCONFIDENCE: AVERAGETHE 00Z NAM IS DIFFERENT EARLY IN THE SHORT RANGE...REGARDING ANRN STREAM SHORTWAVE CURRENTLY ENTERING BRITISH COLUMBIA EARLYTHIS MORNING. THIS CONTINUES DOWNSTREAM WITH A SLOWER/NORTHWARDDISPLACED MID-LEVEL JET STREAK BY WED MORNING OVER THE CNTRL HIGHPLAINS...A FEATURE WHICH HOLDS GOOD CONTINUITY IN THEGFS/ECMWF/UKMET. THIS RESULTS IN A LESS AMPLIFIED UPPER TROUGH INTHE NAM BY EARLY THU OVER THE CNTRL APPALACHIANS.THE ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS ARE MORE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED THANYESTERDAY...WHICH SHOULD BE EXPECTED...BUT HAVE MADE A WHOLESALESHIFT SLOWER AND WEST. THE ECMWF MEMBERS ARE ON THE WEST SIDE OFTHE LOW PLOT ENVELOPE...FOLLOWED BY THE GEFS/CMC MEMBERS JUSTRIGHT OF THE ECMWF MEMBER CLUSTER DURING THE DAY ON THURSDAY. THISPRECLUDES USE OF THE 12Z CMC WHICH IS MUCH FASTER THAN THECONSENSUS. DUE TO THE ECMWF AND ITS MEAN BEING ON THE WESTERN SIDEOF THE AVAILABLE GUIDANCE WITH THE SURFACE LOW WHICH TRACKS UP THEEAST COAST... DESPITE THE WESTWARD TREND SEEN IN ALL OF THEMODELS...THE SAFER PLACE IS JUST A BIT EAST OF THE ECMWF. THE 00ZGFS POSITION LOOKS REASONABLE...BUT APPEARS TOO WEAK AND MAY HAVESOME CONVECTIVE FEEDBACK WHICH DEVELOPS EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.THE 12Z UKMET APPEARS TO BE A DECENT COMPROMISE WHEN BLENDED WITHTHE 12Z EC MEAN...WITH THE EC MEAN A BIT EAST OF THE OPERATIONALECMWF.

Archived