joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller a storms rarely have 15-1 ratios unless you get crazy precip reports at the airport because of the heated elements of the gauges creating mini thermals.    12-1 is more likely. 

It was Jeff and I think he  was mainly referring to onset.

Here ya go. Most exactly the same as OP or west. Only a few (under 5) east and drier. 

attachicon.gifbwieuroens.png

This, BTW, is what leads me to believe (hope) that the American models are struggling with quality initialization data problems. That does appear to be the root of the divergence in American solution spread, and I assume it also accounts for the run to run variability in the NAM too. There's surprising consistency among the EC and ECE members, I'm assuming that's a byproduct of the 4DVAR process and, to a lesser extent, higher resolution during the model's execution. It's interesting to note that the other 4DVAR are becoming "more EC like" (NAVGEM and GGEM) with each run with the two primary NCEP models kinda wander around while drifting in the EC's direction.

It's most exciting becuase we're about to have a (relative) crap-load of CPU at our disposal. Considering it's significant handicaps the GFS does pretty damn well. "Someone's" done a darn good job of compensating for relatively poor quality of initialization, resolution and (I assume) physics as compared to the EC. You could make a decent argument that would should be even further behind the EC's verification scores. That depth and breadth of knowledges that's been gained via "trying to make the best of a bad situation (starved for CPU)" should result in some impressive benefits in the 18 - 30 month timeframe as reaources and development catch up.

This, BTW, is what leads me to believe (hope) that the American models are struggling with quality initialization data problems. That does appear to be the root of the divergence in American solution spread, and I assume it also accounts for the run to run variability in the NAM too. There's surprising consistency among the EC and ECE members, I'm assuming that's a byproduct of the 4DVAR process and, to a lesser extent, higher resolution during the model's execution. It's interesting to note that the other 4DVAR are becoming "more EC like" (NAVGEM and GGEM) with each run with the two primary NCEP models kinda wander around while drifting in the EC's direction.

It's most exciting becuase we're about to have a (relative) crap-load of CPU at our disposal. Considering it's significant handicaps the GFS does pretty damn well. "Someone's" done a darn good job of compensating for relatively poor quality of initialization, resolution and (I assume) physics as compared to the EC. You could make a decent argument that would should be even further behind the EC's verification scores. That depth and breadth of knowledges that's been gained via "trying to make the best of a bad situation (starved for CPU)" should result in some impressive benefits in the 18 - 30 month timeframe as reaources and development catch up.

sweet...thanks for the explanation and looking forward to the upgrades

ender - are you guys using a BlueGene machine for compute or a teracluster running TOSS?

Archived