Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWSHuntsville...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 AM CST THURSDAY... * TIMING AND AREAS AFFECTED...SNOW...MIXED WITH SLEET...WILL SPREAD SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS NORTH ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN MIDDLE TENNESSEE BETWEEN 9 PM AND 3 AM TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BECOME MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY AT TIMES LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY BEFORE THE SNOW TAPERS OFF WEDNESDAY NIGHT. 

It's happening!

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
330 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2014

.DISCUSSION...

AFTER AN ENTIRE DAY OF DELIBERATIONS AND POURING OVER MORE MODEL
DATA THAN I THINK WE THOUGHT WE HAD AT THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY...WE
HAVE COME TO A CONSENSUS OF STANDING PAT WITH WHAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE
FOR SNOW TOTALS AND ADVISORY LOCATIONS FOR WEDNESDAY AND
WEDNESDAY NIGHT. CURRENTLY THE TWO POINTS OF CONTENTION DEAL WITH
HOW MUCH SNOW OUR FAR EASTERN COUNTIES WILL ACTUALLY SEE...AND HOW
FAR NORTH THE SNOW WILL REACH IN OUR WESTERN COUNTIES. I HAVE MORE
CONFIDENCE IN THE HIGHER SNOWFALL IN OUR EAST...I CAN EASILY SEE
GRUNDY...VAN BUREN AND CUMBERLAND COUNTIES SEEING 4+ INCHES OF
SNOW DUE TO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. I HAVE A TOUGHER TIME SEEING
SNOW FALL TOTALS GREATER THAN 1 INCH ALL THE WAY UP TO INTERSTATE
40 IN THE WEST. BOTH OF THESE DEAL WITH ACTUAL PATH OF THE GULF
LOW...AND HOW FAR NORTH THE MID-LEVEL /700MB/ TROUGH DECIDES TO
TRAVERSE ACROSS THE AREA. SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH....IN GENERAL
TERMS...THE LATEST RUNS OF THE GFS AND EURO ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD
AGREEMENT CONCERNING THE PATH OF BOTH OF THESE FEATURES. THE
QUESTION IS WHETHER THEY ARE OVERDOING THE AMOUNT OF LIQUID QPF.
RIGHT NOW...I AM GOING TO GO WITH THE FACT THAT THEY ARE OVERDOING
IT. MANY OF THE HIGHER RESOLUTION MODELS THAT WE HAVE ANALYZED
TODAY ARE SHOWING NOT NEARLY THE AMOUNT OF QPF THE GFS/EURO ARE
SHOWING. ON TOP OF THAT...THE 18Z NAM...WHILE SLIGHTLY FURTHER
NORTH...IS CONSIDERABLY DRIER. ALL OF THAT SAID...IT LOOKS LIKE
OUR SOUTHEASTERN AND EASTERN COUNTIES WILL CATCH THE BRUNT OF THIS
SYSTEM AS IT MOVES NEWD. MANY SPOTS ALONG THE PLATEAU WILL LIKELY
SEE 2-3 INCHES AND I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE ONE OR TWO
REPORTS OF 4 INCHES IN THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED COUNTIES. IF
SUBSEQUENT MODEL RUNS TONIGHT AND IN THE EARLY MORNING CONTINUE TO
SHOW THE HEAVIER AMOUNTS...AN UPGRADE TO A WINTER STORM WARNING
MAY BECOME NECESSARY FOR THEM ESPECIALLY FOR THE LATE AFTERNOON
AND EARLY EVENING HOURS TOMORROW.

WEDNESDAY`S WINTER WEATHER SYSTEM SHOULD BE OUT OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE
PRIOR TO 15Z ON THURSDAY.  THIS WILL MARK THE BEGINNING OF A
CONSIDERABLY MORE TRANQUIL PATTERN.  WHILE WE WILL SEE ONE OR TWO
SYSTEMS SWING THROUGH THE MID-SOUTH...INCLUDING ONE ON FRIDAY AND
ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT...BUT BOTH LOOK LIKE LIQUID PRECIP ATTM.
TEMPERATURES WILL GENERALLY BE ON THE REBOUND INTO NEXT WEEKEND
AHEAD OF A SYSTEM PROGGED TO BE INTO TN ON MONDAY OR MONDAY NIGHT.
EXTENDED GUIDANCE IS STILL OUT TO LUNCH REGARDING THE EVOLUTION OF
THIS SYSTEM BUT IT TOO LOOKS LIKE LIQUID PRECIPITATION.

I CAN`T STRESS THIS ENOUGH...PLEASE CHECK BACK WITH US LATER
TONIGHT AND IN THE MORNING. A 50-75 MILE CHANGE IN THE PATH OF
THE 700MB LOW CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NO SNOW AND 3 INCHES.
WITH THE VARIABILITY OF OUR MODELS REGARDING WINTER WEATHER BEING
WHAT IT IS...THAT LITTLE OF A CHANGE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY.

UNGER

I'm under clear skies right now, I wonder if that will effect whether we start as rain or not when the precipitation moves in If we can cool a decent bit quicker over night. I would guess not with the southern flow as the storm moves in. Any thoughts?

I've never found radiational cooling to help much. As soon as the temperature becomes dynamically driven by the impending weather system, it usually erases any advantage radiational cooling provides. Evaporative cooling is a different story though.

It is all in the track.  If that low goes 996 over Hatteras, I would be shocked to see rain in mid-northern valley unless a piece of that low jogs west of the Apps.  Basically, I am saying if this is a KU storm and we are in the northwest quadrant...would be tough to get rain.  Mixing yes...rain...would be shocked.

I suppose if the 850 low went over us we could have precip issues, but I am not aware of any model that does this.

At face value, the GFS has a lot of melting in the lower elevations. Not sure if it is actually depicting rain, or just snow that doesn't stick.

Being from this area my entire life, I've experienced that with rain to snow events, especially with a setup like what appears to be occurring, if it starts as snow, it has a hard time going to all rain. Snow to rain occurs much quicker. We are setup nicely IMO.

This is from Robert on his views as to what he meant by backflow in his comment on facebook -

Sorry , sometimes I forget that some of my audience aren't weather nerds. A backing flow means winds aloft are coming off the Gulf. Now the core of the differences in the forecasts the last few days centers around the models not backing the flow as much, some over backed to the point of phasing, some were about right, and the models waffled a lot. We can now see the winds are going to back a lot, which means there will be more moisture than all the models maps you may be seeing. So that 20" of snow in part of VA for example is probably going to happen. I would think all of western NC down to north GA and eastern TN is going to be all snow and lots of it. Over a foot most likely in most of that area. Its a tight gradient on the western side of the storm, where eastern TN and northeast AL is...so close call between some areas having 12" some having a few inches.

Hey guys. Thought you may like to read this:

will be updating my snow map for northern third of Ala, MS most of southern and eastern TN, bigtime. #snow RAP coming in strong #alwx #tnwx

This is from Robert on his views as to what he meant by backflow in his comment on facebook -

Sorry , sometimes I forget that some of my audience aren't weather nerds. A backing flow means winds aloft are coming off the Gulf. Now the core of the differences in the forecasts the last few days centers around the models not backing the flow as much, some over backed to the point of phasing, some were about right, and the models waffled a lot. We can now see the winds are going to back a lot, which means there will be more moisture than all the models maps you may be seeing. So that 20" of snow in part of VA for example is probably going to happen. I would think all of western NC down to north GA and eastern TN is going to be all snow and lots of it. Over a foot most likely in most of that area. Its a tight gradient on the western side of the storm, where eastern TN and northeast AL is...so close call between some areas having 12" some having a few inches.

18Z GFS has a disturbing surge of >0C air into southeast Tennessee for several hours during the day. Frankly I don't believe a run all by itself, but this has always been a possibility. Did they release 18Z balloons over the Gulf for that run already? My point is that dwagner88 has valid concerns in every recent post. Who remembers 26 Feb 2004? Epic bust for East Tenn. NC set snow records but it was a cold rain in southeast Tenn. Pattern has similarities at 850 mb. On the other hand modeling is much better now than 10 years ago. I'm comfortable with mainly snow.

Everything from 700 up is more like the great event 10 January 2011. I still like my previous forecast. Looking for a good snow event but lower totals than 10 January 2011. I'd shave 2 or 3 inches off what NWS offices are going after the latest upgrades. Exception is the measured Nashville WFO I believe is right on for their territory. Add back those 2-3 inches where the comma head/TROWAL passes, but it will be much more narrow than that wide track the GFS shows.

Here are a few of my amounts, assuming no comma head at these locations. HSV, CHA, TYS 2-3 inches; BNA trace to 2 inches; Plateau 2 to 4 inches less melting; TRI 3-6 inches, yes I'm more optimistic north thanks to cold air and several hours overnight. Add back 2-3 inches where local banding or comma head/TROWAL pass. Elsewhere east KY 2-5 in; southwest VA 5-10 in; NC mountains and Smokies 12"+ hammer time!

Archived