Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since around 2004 MRX has been very reluctant to issue Winter Storm products outside the mountains. They usually wait until the weather is falling before upgrading. I had 47 inches of snow in 2009-2010 and only 1 winter storm warning that winter with 4 events greater than 5 inches, 3 of which were greater than 8 inches. I got 8 in December 2009 without even getting a WWA until 5 inches were on the ground. Then my power went off for the next 3 days. So I wouldn't base not being under a Watch/Warning as a significant development. We're about 12 hours away from pretty much observational forecasting anyway.

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of MRX's biases/tendencies. I recall the Dec. 2009 debacle quite well. They were a bit low on NE TN totals but really missed portions of the Plateau and the central Valley. As I recall, they were convinced the warm nose would penetrate through Greene County and turn everything from there to the west into sleet or liquid. However, there is a new forecaster working the night shift who has thus far been very persistent in issuing lengthy, in-depth discussions. I look forward to reading their thoughts in the morning.

Interesting. The latest updated forecast from MRX has dropped our temps through Thursday and took out all mention of rain. Showing all snow from tonight through early Thursday.

Chattanooga TN 7 Day Forecast

Morristown, TN

NWS Weather Forecast Office

OVERNIGHT

nsn40.png

Chance
Snow

Low: 28 °F

TUESDAY

sn60.png

Snow
Likely

High: 36 °F

TUESDAY
NIGHT

nsn50.png

Chance
Snow

Low: 30 °F

WEDNESDAY

sn80.png

Snow

High: 38 °F

WEDNESDAY
NIGHT

nsn80.png

Snow

Low: 29 °F

THURSDAY

rasn40.png

Chance
Rain/Snow

High: 45 °F

THURSDAY
NIGHT

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 30 °F

FRIDAY

shra20.png

Slight Chc
Showers

High: 47 °F

FRIDAY
NIGHT

nshra20.png

Slight Chc
Showers

Low: 29 °F

• OvernightA 40 percent chance of snow after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 28. North wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • TuesdaySnow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 36. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Tuesday NightA 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Northeast wind around 5 mph.
  • WednesdaySnow, mainly after 8am. High near 38. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • Wednesday NightSnow, mainly before 2am. Low around 29. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • ThursdayA chance of snow before noon, then a slight chance of rain between noon and 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Thursday NightPartly cloudy, with a low around 30.

There's a good chance it hits East Tennessee and SE KY pretty well. It's a power house on the GGEM. 2MB stronger in North Florida than on the GFS or NAM and 7 mb stronger as it goes up the coast.

It also takes a more favorable track along the Gulf Coast, where the GFS has it starting out around 150 miles off shore of the Florida panhandle.

I can't see qpf yet though to see how the it responds.

Canadian shows snow falling over NE Tennessee for 23 hours, including what appears to be 18 hours of moderate snow.

I really think NE Tennessee is going to very well with this storm.  All the modeling I've seen looks great up there, GFS a tad light but all in all I think y'all will get a pile of snow.  Euro ensembles were absolutely ridiculous for TRI.

There's a good chance it hits East Tennessee and SE KY pretty well. It's a power house on the GGEM. 2MB stronger in North Florida than on the GFS or NAM and 7 mb stronger as it goes up the coast.

It also takes a more favorable track along the Gulf Coast, where the GFS has it starting out around 150 miles off shore of the Florida panhandle.

I can't see qpf yet though to see how the it responds.

The clown is almost ready but yeah, looks like a great run.  Not as wild as 12z with the westward expansion but good for east TN.

The clown is almost ready but yeah, looks like a great run.  Not as wild as 12z with the westward expansion but good for east TN.

It's a lot stronger than 12z.  On that run it was throwing snow into East Tennessee at 1003mb off the DelMarVa area. at hour 66. This run it's slower and as you see, 994 at hour 60 off the DelMarVa.

Btw, is it just me, or are the returns in west Tn, N. Miss, N. Al really filling in right now and maybe actually jogging a little north with a slight tilt??? That's the way I'm seeing it right now. If that's the case, I think many will wake up in the morning surprised considering Chattanooga is expecting anything from nothing to an inch at best...

Btw, is it just me, or are the returns in west Tn, N. Miss, N. Al really filling in right now and maybe actually jogging a little north with a slight tilt??? That's the way I'm seeing it right now. If that's the case, I think many will wake up in the morning surprised considering Chattanooga is expecting anything from nothing to an inch at best...

That is apart of the 1st wave which is the wave that the NAM/Euro wrongly focused on a few days ago. Looks like there is a advisory out for this first wave for Chattanooga for up to an inch. Wouldn't surprise me if it outperformed just a little bit. It shouldn't get much further north then Chatty though.

Though that's probably not taking into account the sleet/zr with the massive totals in South Carolina, but this will be the 2000s version of a Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina Super Storm. That wide spread of a QPF event with so much frozen, that far south is almost unprecedented over those areas. Sadly, we can't get truly pummeled with snow at the same time Charlotte/Columbia do except in very rare cases.

Archived