Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better run of the NAM than 00z. .2 to .8 qpf from Nashville Eastward. .2 around Nash, .3 highland rim, western Platea, .4 around the eastern Plateau, Western Valley, .5 Eastern Central Valley, higher the further North and East you go. N.Alabama .5+ but there are p-type issues for N.Alabama, Middle TN, Southern Valley at first. 

East Tennessee looks to spend around 12 hours under the comma head. Keep in mind, the NAM still may be underperforming the precip shield, like it's doing now.

That run had snow on the Southern Plateau from the get go with rain spreading from Nooga to probably near Knox, quickly changes over to moderate snow though.

MRX AFD:

.LONG TERM (WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY)...MODELS COMING INTO BETTER AGREEMENT REGARDING A STRONG WINTER STORM SYSTEM THAT WILL MOVE INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION ON WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.  HOWEVER...THIS IS STILL SOME MINOR DIFFERENCES IN EXACT TRACK OF LOW.  THIS SYSTEM HAS DEEP MOISTURE AND STRONG LIFT.  THIS COMBINED WITH A COLD TEMPERATURE PROFILE WILL GENERATE A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EVENT.  AROUND 4 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MANY VALLEY LOCATIONS...WITH 6 TO 9 EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS.  THE WINTER STORM WATCH WILL BE EXPANDED ACROSS ALL AREAS BUT THE NORTHERN PLATEAU.  THE SYSTEM WILL SLOWLY PULL OUT LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY.  

I posted this in banter also, but this said after 1:00 for Knoxville a few hours ago when I last checked it and I think 60%

Wednesday Snow, mainly after 10am. High near 36. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%

Mr. Bob, I'm not sure I'd send my daughter off driving if they don't close school like last time!

MRX must be all in on the 06 NAM, based on WSW criteria and what they said, their totals line up almost exactly with it. Their WSW area pretty much covers every county that 4 inches touches, WSW criteria for them used to seem to be 4 inches in a 24 hour period I think. They are the most tight lipped office regarding things like that.

I'm actually pretty amazed that most local WFO are mostly discounting the Euro, especially after the WPC pretty much singled it out as the likely best solution.

JKL, in their AFD sang the praises of it's consistency but then went basically with what appears to be a NAM/GFS blend with the caveat that if the Euro is right, they'll have to significantly up snow chances and totals North and West of where they have them now.

MRX must be all in on the 06 NAM, based on WSW criteria and what they said, their totals line up almost exactly with it. Their WSW area pretty much covers every county that 4 inches touches, WSW criteria for them used to seem to be 4 inches in a 24 hour period I think. They are the most tight lipped office regarding things like that.

I've noticed up to 3" is a WWA, 3-6" is a WSWatch or Warning, and 2 inches in less than an hour is a Heavy Snow Warning/Advisory. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 2009 or 2010 where Knoxville picked up a quick 2" in under an hour and a half and a Heavy Snow Warning was posted. Then again, the quick 2" burst Knoxville got (last winter?) during rush hour only had a WWA. And, the 4" we got two weeks ago was only a WWA.

It doesn't seem to be very consistent.

The winter storm watch outside the mountains is for 3-5 inches. 

Not sure what I'm looking at now, they didn't bother with updating the SPS for the Plateau. The Watch kicks off at 10 am Wednesday. I still wouldn't be surprised to see the WSW turn into a WWA rather than a Winter Storm Warning for folks not in NE TN/Smokies.

Archived