Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upped everyone else's totals significantly in what seems a reflection of model trends. Left me in a WWA for 1-4 inches. Just have to set back and see if it's right I guess.

Good luck John!

Morristown did indeed up the totals for the TRI folks. Now saying 5 to 10!

EVENT...SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

WBIR said this morning it's going to be a rain/snow mix here in the Central Valley and that's it doesn't come in until later.  Then they said heavy snow after 7pm.   Was hoping for no rain with this.  

i don't think we have to worry about rain with this. evaporative cooling will keep temps just cold enough to remain mostly snow, although it could mix at times to start. this was confirmed by Robert(wxsouth) and Todd Howell, two of the best mets in the SE

The pressure on this storm is really forecast to drop. Mr. Bob, how low do you think it goes? Have seen some models approaching rare air as the storm goes northward...Good luck to you all!

00Z Euro seems on track right now surface-wise so I would like to think it has a good chance to be a sub 992 by 18z tomorrow....

00Z Euro seems on track right now surface-wise so I would like to think it has a good chance to be a sub 992 by 18z tomorrow....

Does not really impact us, but I have seen some low 970s near New England once it gets there. GFS/UKMET/RGEM. Seems to show this storm is going to be a bruiser. The Euro has really owned this storm. Back in form it appears.

12z NAM backed-off totals some.  The track looks great, but the precip field looks less impressive.  The RAP has hinted at this but has not gone there.  May just be ebb and flow, maybe speeds up, or better data?  Anyone else notice this...just watching trends.

You can see why local professionals have been cautious with amounts on this one.  If you look at the water vapor imagry it all looks great. Models have trended slightly east with the heavier precip, but it's probably best to keep in mind there will probably be quite a bit of back filling after the initial band of precip sets up and snows on us.  If you take a look at the RGEM, it has been pretty insistent on a good thump of snow, followed by lighter snows, then ramping back up for some moderate snow toward tomorrow morning.(snowing till around noon or so tomorrow).  I have often noticed the dynamics (if strong enough) can pull the main precip back west about 25-50 miles further than what short range modeling predicts.  It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. 

You can see why local professionals have been cautious with amounts on this one.  If you look at the water vapor imagry it all looks great. Models have trended slightly east with the heavier precip, but it's probably best to keep in mind there will probably be quite a bit of back filling after the initial band of precip sets up and snows on us.  If you take a look at the RGEM, it has been pretty insistent on a good thump of snow, followed by lighter snows, then ramping back up for some moderate snow toward tomorrow morning.(snowing till around noon or so tomorrow).  I have often noticed the dynamics (if strong enough) can pull the main precip back west about 25-50 miles further than what short range modeling predicts.  It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. 

Just looked at the 13UTC RAP and it looks very good.  Based on some other conversations, the NAM is a bit on its own...even now.  It has been all over the place.  Just watching trends...but the RAP looks good.  I will hold w/ my 8"...looks about right.  Right now, this depends purely on how much this deepens. 

edit:  So basically, I will consider its trends but not overall output.  It still has a great track, precip is just less.  Most of the models have exactly the same track, maybe even a bit west...but the precip shield is limited.  However, when you look at the radar it looks as if the precip is further north and west than any model predicted. 

Here is the latest RAP 13 UTC...Looks good.  It is actually shifting a bit west w/ the precip shield in our area.  Some downsloping over TRI.  Event is still ongoing even with these totals - ie not over yet.  I don't use the RAP snow maps because they are almost always underdone.  This is total accumulated precip.  Storm looks on track.

post-769-0-92751300-1392217748_thumb.jpg

Looking at surface map on Mesoscale, you can see warm air trying to feed up into the east TN valley. 

Yep, I'm pushing 36 right now.  But, with a dew point of 21 I'm expecting/hoping this will drop once we get some returns over here.  MRX says steady temp of 31 today.  We'll see.

At 9:30AM MRX said they are actually considering increasing their snow totals for their CWA based on current trends. They anticipate moderate snowfall throughout the night.

Good catch. 

edit:  The RAP 14UTC run is really amping things tonight for all of E TN and north Alabama for that matter..

.DISCUSSION...NO SHORT TERM CHANGE NEEDED WITH CURRENT FORECAST.

INVERTED SURFACE TROUGH JUST NW OF MRX CWA. LOW LEVEL COOLER

AIRMASS EXTENDS UP TO AROUND 6000 FEET EAST OF THE TROUGH. UPPER

DEFORMATION ZONE AXIS SETS UP NICELY WITH LOW LEVEL TROUGH ALONG NW

EDGE OF MRX CWA. LOWER LEVELS BEGINNING TO MOISTEN UP OVER SOUTHERN

AREAS WITH MINOR ACCUMULATIONS. LAYER WILL CONTINUE TO MOISTEN

NORTHWESTWARD THROUGHOUT THE DAY. SOME MIXED PRECIPITATION

POSSIBLE ALONG INITIAL EDGE OF PRECIPITATION BUT CHANGE OVER OR ALL

SNOW MOST LIKELY. CONTEMPLATING RAISING SNOW AMOUNTS SOME IN THE

TONIGHT PERIOD WHEN PROLONGED MODERATE SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED.

NORTHWEST PLATEAU STILL LOOKS GOOD IN ADVISORY WITH LESS THAN 4

INCHES EXPECTED BUT MINOR PATTERN SHIFT COULD CHANGE OUTLOOK.

Yep, I'm pushing 36 right now.  But, with a dew point of 21 I'm expecting/hoping this will drop once we get some returns over here.  MRX says steady temp of 31 today.  We'll see.

Looking at surface wet-bulb map, yeah you guys should probably be ok.  Something to keep an eye on though, also something some of the models were picking up on late yesterday. 

Archived