Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering because it's been all snow at my house in Knoxville, and the ground is coated white.

Nice! You must be on the good side of Knoxville. I thought you were Cedar Bluff area? I have nothing on the ground except water.

-Oops, sorry that was banter. If this is ok, from Raysum via Wright Weather in the SE Forum

BgS3mxwCYAAdfPx.png

Nice! You must be on the good side of Knoxville. I thought you were Cedar Bluff area? I have nothing on the ground except water.

-Oops, sorry that was banter. If this is ok, from Raysum via Wright Weather in the SE Forum

I'm near Pleasant Ridge at 1150' so that is probably helping me out.

Also, the NWS graphic has changed:

image_full1.jpg

MRX evening disco...

INVERTED SURFACE TROUGH EXTENDS INTO THE EASTERN MIDDLE TN VALLEY
FROM SOUTHERN LOW. LAYER MOISTURE HAS BEEN ON THE RISE TODAY AND
WILL MAINTAIN IN ADVANCE OF UPPER LOW/TROUGH AXIS OVERNIGHT. +3C
WARM LAYER...SHOWING UP NICELY IN 12/18Z FFC SOUNDING PROVING TO BE
INTERESTING FEATURE IN RELATION TO PRECIPITATION TYPE ACROSS
SOUTHERN AREAS. THESE SWINGS IN PRECIP TYPE HAVE BEEN REPORTED AS FAR N
AS ATHENS MID DAY TODAY. A DOWN VALLEY LOWER LAYER FLOW IS TAKING
SHAPE AND THE WARM LAYER IS EXPECTED TO MOVE SOUTH OF THE TN BORDER
SHORTLY.
H70 DEFORMATION ZONE MODELED NICELY AND ESTABLISHING ALONG
NW MRX CWA BORDER. LATEST SAT PIX VERIFYING POSITION. SNOW BANDS
SHOULD BE ON THE INCREASE THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE OVERNIGHT. BEST
FRONTOGENESIS DEPICTED FROM 13/00-13/06Z. ORIENTATION/PIVOT OF
DEFORMATION ZONE OVERNIGHT SUPPORTS SNOW LINGERING IN NE AREAS EARLY
THU. A CRACK OF THUNDERSNOW POSSIBLE WHEN COLDER CORE MID LEVEL TEMPS
SLIDE IN OVERNIGHT. BEST CHANCE ALONG SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS.
TEMPERATURES WILL MOVE LITTLE AND LEANED COOLER FOR THU EXPECTING CU
FIELD TO LINGER A BIT LONGER THAN CURRENT MODEL DEPICTION.

It's been snowing in West Knoxville since lunch time. It got heavy for a while & is now very light. It has all melted. The precip is filling in nicely down to the southwest. Nice rotation too. This thing is starting to wrap up & that is gonna make for some nice snows. Good thing is that the bulk of heavier precip is going to come in after nightfall, likely at or around 7:00PM. Temps will be under 32 by then. I think it's looking good. All it takes is a couple of heavy deformation bands & the snow will pile up quick. From the looks of the precip field southwest of us it's going to be heavy once it starts. It's also not moving very fast, so there should be some long duration snows for most areas. At least from what I can tell.

So, Jeff, you feel the models were on the light side 24-36 hrs ago for TRI when you say modest OR do you mean the modest totals forecast for this afternoon were inaccurate?  I am assuming you mean the NAM and GFS...Anyway, great write-up as usual.  All systems go.

Models MRX and the WPC all seemed light for TRI 36 hours ago. Then when MRX bumped up everywhere I liked it in TRI but was a skeptic in CHA. Turns out MRX will be right from TRI to Knoxville, but Chatty blew .1 to .2 liquid on rain this afternoon.

Now all of southeast Tennessee is changed over to snow for the duration. Correlation Coefficient confirms on dual pole radar. Keep in mind CC is not some clunky guess based on gridded data. CC is an actual physical measurement. Light pink, indicating uniform precip, just filled in over all the red uncorrelated junk over Chatty. Far northeast AL and northwest corner of GA are also all snow now. Bring it!

I'm confused now on MRX zone forecast. They've dropped off the day and have the night only with the same 2-4". So is that now the total accumulation expected? I don't see that anywhere else on their site (yet).

The two local mets that I've heard said most of the accumulation is expected after 5:00, so that's why I'm confused.

I'm confused now on MRX zone forecast. They've dropped off the day and have the night only with the same 2-4". So is that now the total accumulation expected? I don't see that anywhere else on their site (yet).

The two local mets that I've heard said most of the accumulation is expected after 5:00, so that's why I'm confused.

Most mets I've heard both Chatt and Knox have said even this morning that the majority of accumulation would occur at night.  I can say that snow has started back in ernest IMBY about 15 miles south of Kingston.  Temps have also fallen 3 degrees in the last hour.  Sitting at 33 now.  Looking at moisture that is still yet to pivot through I'm not throwing in the towel for MRX official totals.

Last forecasting post from the non-forecaster re: the track of the low

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
420 PM EST WED FEB 12 2014

VALID 00Z THU FEB 13 2014 - 00Z SUN FEB 16 2014

...MID ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST...

A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM WITH WIDESPREAD SOCIETAL IMPACTS
CONTINUES TO MOVE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST...POISED TO BEGIN TRACKING
UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD TONIGHT.

WHILE MINOR DIFFERENCES REGARDING THE TIMING/TRACK REMAIN...THE
LATEST MODELS HAVE COME INTO PRETTY GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH DAY 1
WITH THEIR HANDLING OF THE SURFACE LOW FORECAST TO DEEPEN AND
TRACK ALONG THE SOUTHEAST-MID ATLANTIC COAST DURING THE PERIOD.
OUT AHEAD OF THE LOW

Models MRX and the WPC all seemed light for TRI 36 hours ago. Then when MRX bumped up everywhere I liked it in TRI but was a skeptic in CHA. Turns out MRX will be right from TRI to Knoxville, but Chatty blew .1 to .2 liquid on rain this afternoon.

Now all of southeast Tennessee is changed over to snow for the duration. Correlation Coefficient confirms on dual pole radar. Keep in mind CC is not some clunky guess based on gridded data. CC is an actual physical measurement. Light pink, indicating uniform precip, just filled in over all the red uncorrelated junk over Chatty. Far northeast AL and northwest corner of GA are also all snow now. Bring it!

Jeff. Looked like those storms in FL(and I saw Robert mention this) cut some precip off this afternoon. Looks like it has filled back in.

Believe you are right about the Florida thunderstorms. 

Jeff. Looked like those storms in FL(and I saw Robert mention this) cut some precip off this afternoon. Looks like it has filled back in.

Thankfully it filled back in nicely. At one point on satellite one could discern 3 distinct areas of lift: main baraclinic leaf over the Carolinas; new lift over AL/GA; and the final comma head over MS. I'm just tickled the last two are working out beautifully for all of East Tenn. And our friends just south of the TN border. Many times they won't, but tonight they are very dynamic and with plenty of moisture to work with. Sometimes everything goes right - even in the South!

Believe you are right about the Florida thunderstorms. 

Thankfully it filled back in nicely. At one point on satellite one could discern 3 distinct areas of lift: main baraclinic leaf over the Carolinas; new lift over AL/GA; and the final comma head over MS. I'm just tickled the last two are working out beautifully for all of East Tenn. And our friends just south of the TN border. Many times they won't, but tonight they are very dynamic and with plenty of moisture to work with. Sometimes everything goes right - even in the South!

Definitely glad you all in the southern part of the Valley could get some snow and winter.  Chatt deserves it.  Glad our folks from Alabama, north Georgia, and Mississippi are doing well.  Here is the latest RAP 23UTC run for posterity.  Storm on the coast just holds on for dear life....dark yellow is .80 liquid water.  #qpf

Time to get Nashville a storm.......

post-769-0-49397100-1392252793_thumb.jpg

Archived