Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it looked OK. Still many members showing nothing

Mean at RDU is 1/6th of the OP's output, 2"

Mean for CLT is 1/3 or so below 2"

I'd like at least half the members showing snow and the ensembles at least 50% of the OPs output.

The trend is decent, though.  I can only speak for GSO as I had not looked at past runs for other cities, but last night's 00z EPS mean showed practically nothing while yesterday's showed 1.2".  Now, last night's mean was up to close to 2.5" with most members onboard with something and a fair amount onboard for a decent event.

With that being said, I'm hardly feeling good about this one at the moment as I'd really like to see some other models jump onboard...

From DT's facebook post...the purple line is his approximation of the R/S line

He kind of tinkled me with this.

"snowfall maps show an enormous area of 1 to 2 feet of snow from Raleigh to Boston."

I know with a track like that 1 foot is going to be asking alot and will most likely have more mixing concerns the snow. This looks like a good mountain storm shaping up though.

I'd say it looked OK. Still many members showing nothing

Mean at RDU is 1/6th of the OP's output, 2"

Mean for CLT is 1/3 or so below 2"

I'd like at least half the members showing snow and the ensembles at least 50% of the OPs output.

I'm guessing the issues with the maps showing little or no accum. is temp. Certainly looks like there'd be plenty of moisture to work with. But that setup screams warm layer with perhaps a sprinkling of back side snow.

Overall pattern seems great, but what worries me is the only "blips" on the models are for storms that form north of the gulf.  I really don't like the track of the storms the EURO keeps putting out.  If they were to verify I wouldn't be surprised for NC to be left out of the game and for it to be a VA and north storm. 

Would like to see the southern energy be more south, I guess to get a nice gulf low.  Maybe it's too far out anyway. 

12z gfs shows a storm around 3/1 but it's S & E of what the euro showed last night. That could be a good thing considering it's the gfs.

Yeah, for the GFS, that's a good looking southern stream wave traversing the deep south hrs 204-216.  Hard to say on the cold air.  Does it stay bottled up more to our north and northwest, or does the arctic air spill down farther than currently shown?  It would be better to have the PV move more into SE Canada than have it hovering north of the Great Lakes

He kind of tinkled me with this.

"snowfall maps show an enormous area of 1 to 2 feet of snow from Raleigh to Boston."

I know with a track like that 1 foot is going to be asking alot and will most likely have more mixing concerns the snow. This looks like a good mountain storm shaping up though.

DT tinkled you?  :blink::huh:

Seriously, the Euro ENS mean is something nice to start with on this storm.  The GGEM also showing potential is helpful.  The GFS will hopefully join the party soon.  As Robert posted last night, it appears that something is afoot next week.  The R/S line is impossible to predict right now, but a potential split flow with an Alaskan block and big highs spells lots of fun and games "somewhere" across the south.

Yeah, for the GFS, that's a good looking southern stream wave traversing the deep south hrs 204-216.  Hard to say on the cold air.  Does it stay bottled up more to our north and northwest, or does the arctic air spill down farther than currently shown?  It would be better to have the PV move more into SE Canada than have it hovering north of the Great Lakes

With at 1044 HP moving into the Lakes, I feel ok about the cold, even though it doesn't look all that great verbatim...that's some very cold air in Canada.  And the GFS keeps us pretty much in the game through the end of the run.  Repeating pattern.  Could be a very exciting period!  Could also turn into nothing too.

With at 1044 HP moving into the Lakes, I feel ok about the cold, even though it doesn't look all that great verbatim...that's some very cold air in Canada.  And the GFS keeps us pretty much in the game through the end of the run.  Repeating pattern.  Could be a very exciting period!  Could also turn into nothing too.

I think to a fault I always question whether the cold will be readily available until I see the whites of its eyes

I think to a fault I always question whether the cold will be readily available until I see the whites of its eyes

Ha!  I know man.  I'm the same way sometimes.  Aint nothing wrong with that point of view.  In fact, I do too unless I see a big strong high in a good position and the cold air source is good.  Then, I tend not to worry as much about it....probably to a fault as well. :)

The 12z Canadian suppresses our concerned storm into oblivion. I guess that might not be a bad thing at this point.

Kinda dovetailing on what Grit said, I think at these leads, seeing the cold in place and dealing with suppression is a better place to be than seeing marginal cold air and an inland track.  NW seems to be a little easier to achieve (congrats PGV??), although the last storm didn't adhere to that theory as well.

IF PGV jackpots at 18"+ plus you guys are more than welcome to come stay at Shaggys house for the storm :whistle: .....I will continue to watch and wait, though it is kinda cool to be jackpotted on Monday and then again when the storm came back last night lets see what this afternoons run of the Euro does with it.....hope this means something and those maps and the fact the date Mar 1 1980 keeps popping up on analogs, but really in this time frame we want suppressed and cold across the board I think.

IF PGV jackpots at 18"+ plus you guys are more than welcome to come stay at Shaggys house for the storm :whistle: .....I will continue to watch and wait, though it is kinda cool to be jackpotted on Monday and then again when the storm came back last night lets see what this afternoons run of the Euro does with it.....hope this means something and those maps and the fact the date Mar 1 1980 keeps popping up on analogs, but really in this time frame we want suppressed and cold across the board I think.

Folks,

Reminder: Keep in mind that all Euro snow amounts (operational/ensemble) are based on a 10:1 ratio for any kind of wintry precip. So, unless it is pure snow, it overstates snow amounts vs. what it is actually predicting such as it did for the last storm for many areas. So, if it shows, say 10" of snow, that would tell me that it has qpf of 1" for wintry precip. of some kind or combo. I really wish they'd fix it. It is such a joke!

Folks,

Reminder: Keep in mind that all Euro snow amounts (operational/ensemble) are based on a 10:1 ratio for any kind of wintry precip. So, unless it is pure snow, it overstates snow amounts vs. what it is actually predicting such as it did for the last storm for many areas. So, if it shows, say 10" of snow, that would tell me that it has qpf of 1" for wintry precip. of some kind or combo. I really wish they'd fix it. It is such a joke!

The best snowfall maps I have seen from the Euro are put out on the EuroWX site... which is really cheap..... it's the way these vendors are generating all precip as snow..

they don't have ice accumulation maps last i checked though.

Folks,

I know thus the IF in my post, I would suspect with the track shown most in fact would not be snow..I hope that changes though plenty of time for this to trend all over the place and it will I am sure before its all said and done......of course I hope that the storm makes good on the 18" lol...

One problem is the PV starts lifting north day 9 which allows the storm to also climb north, have to see if it can hang on. I am not worried about supression but rather the inevitable north trend. I do think there will be a winter storm next weekend on the east coast somewhere.

It's more suppressed and colder...When our southern stream wave is in Texas, the PV is centered more toward SE Canada this run instead of being elongated across the Great Lakes.  This allowed more cold air to filter in and keep the storm track suppressed.  850mb low tracks a little inland of the gulf coast to off SC coast - last night's run tracked it across northern AL/GA to Charlotte, to Norfolk.

Pretty consistent look going right now for a southern stream wave to undercut the western ridging and ram into a cold air mass.

Archived