amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, was thinking for a minute there that everyone was in Spain on siesta or something (or maybe just having to actually work).  In a 12hr period, the Euro sfc low drops from 1000mb off Myrtle Beach to 978mb off Cape Hatteras

That's a pretty nice pressure fall there.  A little sooner...just a little sooner, and you'd probably be able to up those totals substantially.

Does it leave us Upstate folks out of the game on that run?

Mostly. You want the track to cross N Florida , then hug the coast. If it is too far out to sea, then only E NC is really in the game. If its cold enough as the low goes across FL, then we could do ok. If we have to wait for the storm to wrap up to bring in the cold, we will be in trouble. Thee good thing is it will look nothing like this tomorrow !

Mostly. You want the track to cross N Florida , then hug the coast. If it is too far out to sea, then only E NC is really in the game. If its cold enough as the low goes across FL, then we could do ok. If we have to wait for the storm to wrap up to bring in the cold, we will be in trouble. Thee good thing is it will look nothing like this tomorrow !

I don't know. The Euro pretty much held on its solution with the last storm a week out.

LOL depends  where you are then cause the last one hugged the coast and it sucked for me....I prefer the 200 miles east of hatteras stall scenario so we call get it on it.

Was this a miller A? Where did the low come from to get off the coast? How were the temps, for us that can't see maps? Thanks

From what I could see it looked like a gulf storm.  And actually, the 850 temps looked pretty good I think, down in to northern SC. 

I simply do not yet believe that we're going to have two gulf snowstorms in 2 weeks time.  I firmly expect this to be a blip.....MAYBE I'll start believing when the ensemble means of both the GFS and EURO are upticking on snow for NC/CLT. 

Was this a miller A? Where did the low come from to get off the coast? How were the temps, for us that can't see maps? Thanks

I wouldn't call it a Miller A because it looks to me like it develops too far north (overland) and not along or south of the Gulf coast. For most of GA including ATL, this is a no go due to it being too north. For ATL-AHN and even the upstate to get something really good from this, it would be much better if it were a Miller A assuming there'd also be ample cold air in place. For ATL-AHN folk, there's obviously plenty of time for this to change for the better or worse.

The low track is really north.  Very odd.  It's almost like a diving clipper, just really south and west.  I'm calling shenanigans on this one. 

Also, notice that there's not really a moist WSW flow coming out of the Gulf. This is far different from the last two, which were actual Gulf lows. For much of the SE, it isn't really a favorable track, but it will almost certainly change as this is a week out.

GFS has the low further south in the Gulf then crossing the panhandle. Still plenty of time to watch things take shape. At least something is there from run to run 6 days in a row. We can deal with the specifics as it gets closer. I'm optimistic for something good in this timeframe through first week of March.

The low track is really north.  Very odd.  It's almost like a diving clipper, just really south and west.  I'm calling shenanigans on this one. 

Looks viable to me.  System comes in from the southern rockies (after sliding over the ridge), and then scoots into southern GA, before exploding off the east coast, east of the Carolinas.  It's a long shot, but not anything abnormal as far as the track IMO.

Archived