• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

I would love to see these western solutions verify. I might see nothing, but am loving the meltdowns from the megalopolis weenies.

I have more compassion because some of us would be having a meltdown if a storm like this fell apart right before game time got us. I have little sympathy for NYC or Philly but dc has seen little snow this year I really hope they don't get screwed again.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have more compassion because some of us would be having a meltdown if a storm like this fell apart right before game time got us. I have little sympathy for NYC or Philly but dc has seen little snow this year I really hope they don't get screwed again.

Yeah, DC really hasn't had much at all since 09-10. They could use a good one.

The 12z Euro has a nice 700 mb frontogenesis band over central PA, as a result of the closed 700 mb low deforming the temperature field. It is strange that the 18z GFS has a much weaker precip field with little sign of this banding feature, especially since it has the 700 mb low at a similar (though slightly weaker) intensity. This feature is about 50 miles east on the GFS but values of 700 mb frontogenesis are much weaker and limited to the northwest of it's 700 mb low depiction.

Depending upon the final track of the system, there could be a pretty stout band somewhere in central PA, likely east of UNV. Aside from the favorable deformation of the thermal field, there will also be a tongue of higher theta-e air of Atlantic origin advecting into the region. This coupled with the cooling and drying 500 mb temperatures with the height falls may lead to a moist adiabatic or slightly conditionally unstable layer between 500 and 600 mb.

I think tonight's model suite should give us more confidence if the westward shift in today's guidance is legitimate. I suspect that it may be as progressively more information about the northern stream disturbance was assimilated into today's runs. However, were are still about 36-48 hours away so there could still be some subtle changes after tonight's runs as well.

My mom just sent me the S&S 16-32 map that she saw on facebook.

She lives in Huntingdon county. Two hours from ****head and ****head's target demo area.

My head just asploded.

S&S groupies have been trolling local TV stations' facebook pages. It's really getting out of hand with this stuff.

Folks especially east of I-95 should have been aware from the get-go that these solutions that are close to the coast would introduce mixing issues.

That's obvious to just about anyone growing up where I did, where you could sneeze in the wrong direction and cause a change to rain. What's killing us is the trend today towards blowing up the mid level trough and negative tilting it so soon over NC and obliterating us with warm air. Earlier trends were for it to be a little weaker and holding back the warm air and the track a little east.

I was expecting in the back of my mind issues with the dryslot and rain for the coast-I'm banking on the initial 8 hour period being a wall of heavy snow before the warm air arrives. The best spot now looks to be over I-81 or a little east, over a foot there it looks-the lame QPF displays there should go away in later runs. Hopefully it ends up working out somehow for all of us but UNV/AOO/IPT look in the game for at least a decent snow event.

How's the N** forum doing JM? :P

My post deleting fingers haven't been as busy as I thought they would be today, honestly (backing up other Mods for the next couple of days). Most of us are more than happy with the winter we've had, with some exceptions who have largely been dealt with at this point.

We have a nice snowpack here that should be added to substantially even at the coast, and this could put us very close to 50" on the season for everyone, maybe over 50" west of the city. No one in their right mind can whine about that. Everyone knows how great we've had it this winter, and we can't win every R/S line battle on the shore where we are.

Other than the RGEM the westward trend has been measured and slow. Soon we shall see if the RGEM was catching on to something the others weren't seeing. Perhaps the kicker which was just on shore enough to be properly sampled and the RGEM being the more recent model? Anyway, I won't disguise my bias, I'm hoping the westward trend continues to western pa and wny too- obviously it would take several more clicks to the left. NAM will be first good indicator and it drops soon!

Archived