joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this on the other forum, but got no response... It appears as though (based on comparison with the SPC meso-analysis page) that the GFS/NAM initialized too weak with the system over Texas and was still too weak 3 hours later... I may be incorrect, but just using the 5640 M line vs the 564 dm line on the models it appears to be the case

Well that is one of the problems with it coming further west, there is always the possibility of mixing or even changing to something other than snow. But if it allows a great hit for all those who have been snow deprived, then so be it. This has become very interesting to watch how the models converge/diverge. Of course a close second is watching all of the forums light up with weather banter.

GFS nice track for most, needs to juice up... 3-5" for most then explodes and gives Maine over a foot basically statewide.

8RkYMO1.png

Look for precip trends here on out it looks like. Should end up a coastal hugger or just off shore. Throwing out NAM and RGEM as east and west outliers IMO is way to go with GFS being a dry outlier. 

GFS nice track for most, needs to juice up... 3-5" for most then explodes and gives Maine over a foot basically statewide.

8RkYMO1.png

Look for precip trends here on out it looks like. Should end up a coastal hugger or just off shore. Throwing out NAM and RGEM as east and west outliers IMO is way to go with GFS being a dry outlier. 

Mag isn't this what you had said would happen with the low occluding short of here and then re-energizing past us which leads to the lesser amounts of precip for PA?

Oh boy...NYC weenie suicide watch in effect.  Goes to show that you cannot celebrate a storm which hasn't happened yet! 

Glad to see that the EURO is still useful in certain mid-range winter situations.

Folks especially east of I-95 should have been aware from the get-go that these solutions that are close to the coast would introduce mixing issues.

Folks especially east of I-95 should have been aware from the get-go that these solutions that are close to the coast would introduce mixing issues.

Yea going to be a lot of disappointed folks in the big cities. I know every one west of the LSV is routing for more west track and the more west the more of a mix even coming into to LSV. Its been like that forever with these type of storms.

Could be the shortwave in the GL or it could be the low occluding as it comes up the coast. 

No one can really provide an answer...

GFS and Euro have similar placement of the Great Lakes system and it doesn't seem to truly stack until hour 60 on the 18z GFS when it's over Cape Cod. GFS track still a bit east of the Euro coming past the Delmarva but still finally got precip back to the central counties. I just think the GFS is underdoing the intensity of the deform band in PA. 

GFS and Euro have similar placement of the Great Lakes system and it doesn't seem to truly stack until hour 60 on the 18z GFS when it's over Cape Cod. GFS track still a bit east of the Euro coming past the Delmarva but still finally got precip back to the central counties. I just think the GFS is underdoing the intensity of the deform band in PA. 

I brought this up after the Euro's drop in qpf over my immediate region, and I got a bit of an answer, but now the GFS is lacking on larger scale, and the issue was raised over in the Mid Atlantic forum. HM offered this bit of insight.

The GFS is blowing up some sick W. Atlantic convection which works in-tandem with the dry-conveyor belt. This could be a reason it is limiting QPF in your area, but I am guessing.

I brought this up after the Euro's drop in qpf over my immediate region, and I got a bit of an answer, but now the GFS is lacking on larger scale, and the issue was raised over in the Mid Atlantic forum. HM offered this bit of insight.

GFS pulls in air with RH <10% at 700mb.... Euro pulls in some dry air too but not as extreme... that is what I plan to keep an eye on tomorrow... isnt dry air at 700mb what screwed DC and much of our region for the March 6 2013 event?

Archived