northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS MOS shows 33 or so for LGA til 15z (again it shows 33/22 at the start so its missing evaporative cooling)...the NAM MOS is actually warmer at most stations, thats rare for these sort of events, so perhaps Taunton's idea is correct...if the NAM even was close to the GFS/Euro it likely would be showing temps near 29-30 for NYC til mid morning.

Looking at all models, my forecast would be:

S/E of Rt. 1 in NJ, SI, and Southern Half of LI: C-1" Snow/Sleet, minimal ice, then cold rain

Between Rt. 1 in NJ - Rt. 78 (Eastern Somerset & East), NNJ East of PKWY, NYC, Northern Half of LI: C-2" Snow/Sleet, some ice, ending as cold rain

Western Somerset in NJ/Rt.78 to Rt. 80 W of Parkway: 1-3" Snow/Sleet, ice, then maybe ending as cold rain

N of 80/E of 287: 2-3" Snow/Sleet, ice, maybe ending as drizzle

N of 80/W of 287: 3-5" Snow/Sleet, then ice

At this time, I still don't buy the NAM's near "no snow" solution for NYC, southern Westchester/southern Fairfield counties and Long Island. My preference remains the combination of the ECMWF, GFS, and RGEM. Indeed, if one takes a look at the 15z HRRR model, one finds that guidance forecasting snow to break out across southern Pennsylvania at 15 hours in an area in which the NAM forecasts no snow.

This seems to be a case where the NAM is blasting the warm air into the mid-levels of the atmosphere (700 mb-900 mb) too aggressively. If so, this would not be a rare case in which it misses a thumping of snow prior to the changeover.

In short, my guess is that much of the NYC Metro Area will likely see 2"-4" of snow with a few higher amounts, similar amounts in Newark, 1"-3" on Long Island's South Shore/2"-4" on Long Island's North Shore, and 3"-6" in much of southern Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

The GFS MOS shows 33 or so for LGA til 15z (again it shows 33/22 at the start so its missing evaporative cooling)...the NAM MOS is actually warmer at most stations, thats rare for these sort of events, so perhaps Taunton's idea is correct...if the NAM even was close to the GFS/Euro it likely would be showing temps near 29-30 for NYC til mid morning.

It's funny to see the NAM dismissed for being too warm. It's usually too cold and dynamic for these type events. Especially in the mid-levels.

Umm not sure about everyone else but where I work in Somerset, barely ANY snow has fallen off the tree limbs/power lines.

I don't know if it's the complete lack of wind today or overcast skies but this will without a doubt increase the # of power outages tomorrow morning in the area

At this time, I still don't buy the NAM's near "no snow" solution for NYC, southern Westchester/southern Fairfield counties and Long Island. My preference remains the combination of the ECMWF, GFS, and RGEM. Indeed, if one takes a look at the 15z HRRR model, one finds that guidance forecasting snow to break out across southern Pennsylvania at 15 hours in an area in which the NAM forecasts no snow.

This seems to be a case where the NAM is blasting the warm air into the mid-levels of the atmosphere (700 mb-900 mb) too aggressively. If so, this would not be a rare case in which it misses a thumping of snow prior to the changeover.

In short, my guess is that much of the NYC Metro Area will likely see 2"-4" of snow with a few higher amounts, similar amounts in Newark, 1"-3" on Long Island's South Shore/2"-4" on Long Island's North Shore, and 3"-6" in much of southern Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

Hi don, what are your thoughts for northern Westchester?

Nice write-up Don. Even up to your north here at KSWF, the 12z NAM only has 0.3 of snow and the rest as ZR except for a few snow showers at the end.

Archived