• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

GFS gets as far north as WV with the sfc low then due east off the VA coast.

Little OT, but this current mid atl is a bit stronger and going a lot further north than it looked last night. Maybe this next storm will do the same, or it will go even more SE with the mid atl storm squashing the ridge a bit south. Just thinking out loud and trying to learn why a storm tracks where it does.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the sfc low position doesn't make sense given that map. It should be further NW closer to the PV hook

Thus what i have been saying.

The positioning of that feature foretold a bit of a northwest shift on 1/5, so we'll see what happens with this one.

Guess i need to go back and re read that thread. Did that have a nw shift inside of 60hrs?

Little OT, but this current mid atl is a bit stronger and going a lot further north than it looked last night. Maybe this next storm will do the same, or it will go even more SE with the mid atl storm squashing the ridge a bit south. Just thinking out loud and trying to learn why a storm tracks where it does.

That question confounds some of the great mets. Don't spend too much time thinking about it.

No, lets look at the H5 map, the surface low should be just SE of the strongest vort max. Than you have to take a look at were the mid level lows set up say at 700-850 mb, that is really the key as moisture from the warm sector will be evected into those low pressure areas. The 700-925 lows should be slightly north of the surface lows....

namUS_500_avort_048.gif

Lol no, it shouldn't

I'm feeling an early call of 5 to 8" for LAF. May bump higher if GFS/Euro come in wetter but that's a good star.t

Frontogenesis/banding looks fairly impressive and it seems like the NAM has really been keying in on it with differences on placement from run to run.  I think it may be onto something as that aspect should be in its wheelhouse.  I like that the 00z GFS came in a bit wetter and even it gives us a solid 7-8".  

Like I said a few days ago, LAF is lock for 60" this year....congrats

Hopefully. Need to do well with this one, and then it's within earshot...with plenty of time to go.

0z GGEM is in the same spot at 12z Wednesday, compared to its 12z run...but might be a little juicier overall.

Frontogenesis/banding looks fairly impressive and it seems like the NAM has really been keying in on it with differences on placement from run to run. I think it may be onto something as that aspect should be in its wheelhouse. I like that the 00z GFS came in a bit wetter and even it gives us a solid 7-8".

Agreed, the potential is definitely there.

Lets take a look. H5 vort map, ;the surface low is just SE of the vort max

namUS_500_avort_048.gif

surface low

namUS_sfc_prec_048.gif

The models at times poorly place the surface and upper level features, but do a better job with the upper level pv anomaly. There's been multiple cases where the tip of the hook of the pv anomaly better indicated the surface low placement and was northwest of what the guidance had been indicating, including GHD, November 17th, 10/4/13 (tornado outbreak in NE/IA and blizzard in SD) to name a few. So if this is true in this case, all features would be shifted northwest some, including the h5 low.

The models at times poorly place the surface and upper level features, but do a better job with the upper level pv anomaly. There's been multiple cases where the tip of the hook of the pv anomaly better indicated the surface low placement and was northwest of what the guidance had been indicating, including GHD, November 17th, 10/4/13 (tornado outbreak in NE/IA and blizzard in SD) to name a few. So if this is true in this case, all features would be shifted northwest some, including the h5 low.

But how many times should the surface low be located in the base of the hook at the 400-250mb level, this goes back to what someone said that the surface low should be placed there, or close to there.

Archived