12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I don't think the dryslot concern is totally unfounded, especially if there's a trend to the northwest.  Not something to panic about yet but something to keep in mind.   

Sure, it's all been a concern all along. Nothing new there. But a slp track west of Dayton? Tell me you're not buying that...

storm won't wrap up enough to dry slot you guys

We may taste it with the ULL. Only thing that has me a bit worried, for decent totals here, is getting squeezed by the dis-jointment between the slp (too far SE) and ULL (overtop or to the NW). Hopefully that corrects itself, but there are models showing that scenario. But, I'm good with 3-5, 4-6" if that's what it turns into to for LAF.

Why the difference between the Nam and the GFS as to strength and other things?  One has to look up stairs into the attic to see the difference.  On both models there is the strong upper level low over NE Canada. On the Nam it pulls the stronger Jet streak out of the area, on the GFS the Jet streak hangs back.  Also on the Nam as the first jet streak pulls away another starts to amplify to the south, putting the area in the front left quad in a favorable area of heavier snows.  BTW what happens up here we effect the winds from H5 on down.

Nam...

namUS_250_spd_054.gif

GFS..

gfsUS_250_spd_054.gif

As soon as I post this I suppose tonight's run of the NAM will cave.  But I think it has a chance to be correct.

Everyone quietly waiting for the Nam...

Yup, but looking at WV imagery to my amateur eye at 715pm seems to be like the 18z Nam was sightly better than the GFS 18z, and the minor diff's could prove huge....I was using this view of WV... and I think the Nam was slightly better at the H5 vorticity over North Dakota and Lake MI.

usa.wv.gif

Archived