Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moves the primary into OH/PA vs WV/VA on the GFS.

not really a change at all from 12z, except wetter.  6hr intervals takes low from southeastern KY, along the OH/WV border into sw PA.  Virtually no change.  Trust me, I'm on the razors edge so I've been looking at this stuff very closely lol.   Still not a prolific snow producer, heaviest swath is from about Richmond IN, to about Mansfield OH...and that's about 6-8"....widespread 3-5" elsewhere.

this is all wxbell info

Saw your in Winter Storm Watch. How much snow do you have on the ground after the last system? Also looks weird to have Buffalo issuing way ahead of all the other offices 

We still have huge piles from the blizzard, but on the ground about 5-6 inches. We had nearly an inch of rain here yesterday with temperatures in the upper 30s. We only received .5 inches of snow after the changeover last night. Yeah Buffalo is usually the last place to issue WSW. They must have some decent confidence in this system to produce 6+ inches of snow across the area.

We still have huge piles from the blizzard, but on the ground about 5-6 inches. We had nearly an inch of rain here yesterday with temperatures in the upper 30s. We only received .5 inches of snow after the changeover last night. Yeah Buffalo is usually the last place to issue WSW. They must have some decent confidence in this system to produce 6+ inches of snow across the area.

Isn't your WSW criteria 8"+/<12 hrs less?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAYEVENING.* LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...WYOMING...LIVINGSTON...ONTARIO  COUNTIES AND THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER.* TIMING...LATE TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING GREATER THAN 6  INCHES.* VISIBILITIES...A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.* IMPACTS...TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE AS ROADS BECOME  SNOW COVERED...SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MEDIUM TO HIGH. THERE REMAINS SOME  FORECAST UNCERTAINTY TO THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM SYSTEM AS  IT APPROACHES THE REGION. A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TRACK COULD ALTER  SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

Here is the criteria for WSW:

...A WINTER STORM WATCH

WOULD BE ISSUED AT LEAST 12 HOURS IN ADVANCE IN ADVANCE OF THE
STORM. WATCHES ARE ISSUED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF HEAVY SNOW, 7
INCHES OR MORE IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD (9 INCHES OR MORE
IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD), FOR POSSIBLE SEVERE ICING D
UE TO FREEZING RAIN, OR FOR POSSIBLE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DEFINED AS THE DANGEROUS COMBINATION OF SNOW, BLOWING SNOW, AND WIND.

I'll add this as well:

WINTER STORM WARNINGS ARE ISSUED WHEN THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY OF
HEAVY SNOW, SEVERE ICING OF ONE HALF INCH OR MORE, OR THE
COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW, SLEET, OR FREEZING RAIN WITHIN THE NEXT

48 HOURS OR SO.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/pns6winter1314.pdf

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAYEVENING.* LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...WYOMING...LIVINGSTON...ONTARIO  COUNTIES AND THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER.* TIMING...LATE TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING GREATER THAN 6  INCHES.* VISIBILITIES...A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.* IMPACTS...TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE AS ROADS BECOME  SNOW COVERED...SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MEDIUM TO HIGH. THERE REMAINS SOME  FORECAST UNCERTAINTY TO THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM SYSTEM AS  IT APPROACHES THE REGION. A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TRACK COULD ALTER  SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

Interesting. This map indicates 7" as the threshold. I new it was something elevated because I've read AFDs out of BUF where they're thinking 4-8/5-8 but saying that's insufficient for a watch/warning.

12hrsnwwrng.jpg

not really a change at all from 12z, except wetter.  6hr intervals takes low from southeastern KY, along the OH/WV border into sw PA.  Virtually no change.  Trust me, I'm on the razors edge so I've been looking at this stuff very closely lol.   Still not a prolific snow producer, heaviest swath is from about Richmond IN, to about Mansfield OH...and that's about 6-8"....widespread 3-5" elsewhere.

this is all wxbell info

I have the 3hr.. 12z at 75hr had it east of Wheeling ( about where i70 and i79 cross paths in W.PA )  vs 00z over top of Wheeling. Not a huge shift though.

For LAF best first guess is 6-10"  more south than north....but reserve the right to update that.  It may go as high 10-16".  I'm thinking that 6-10 is a lock.

I actually think they are in the ground zero ( where highest totals will be )  area. It just has had that feel to it.

Nope. Same track as 12z. Lost some QPF as well in the cold sector.

My post was tongue-in-cheek (sort of, I almost WANT a few NW/amped solutions to stir the pot and make things more interesting), but either way, it's good to know there wasn't a major change with the EURO. 

I still feel confident in my 2-4" call for DTW from earlier verifying. 

For LAF best first guess is 6-10"  more south than north....but reserve the right to update that.  It may go as high 10-16".  I'm thinking that 6-10 is a lock.

I actually think they are in the ground zero ( where highest totals will be )  area. It just has had that feel to it.

Jinx. Just kidding. :D

I'm sticking with my call of 4-8" for here right now. Hopefully can narrow it soon. 

EDIT: looks like the Euro went a good deal south...so 4 is more likely than 8. 

Jinx. Just kidding. :D

I'm sticking with my call of 4-8" for here right now. Hopefully can narrow it soon. 

EDIT: looks like the Euro went a good deal south...so 4 is more likely than 8. 

Euro gives us .5 or .6 qpf...there's pretty good agreement on those kinds of numbers other than the NAM.  Really liking the chances for 6+ here. 

Just a couple observations mulling the SPC mesoanalysis page.

1. A closed-off 588dm height contour has popped up in the GOM and SW Florida. The 00z NAM at least didn't have that (not sure about the other models).

2. Heights ahead of the wave in the SW appear to be a bit higher than forecasted.

That said, I don't see anything drastic ATM to suggest the model solutions are off. These are just observations. 

vadv.gif?1391411925957

Euro dropped another tenth of qpf for the I-80 corridor in this area.  Since other models with both 18z and 00z runs also lowered qpf I'm lowering the call from 3-4" to 1-3" for this area.  Starting to look like a sub-advisory level event for areas north of I-80 now. 

agree, just as suspected the cold sector QPF is vanishing.

This is a CMI-LAF-CLE storm...as has been exceptionally well advertised for days now.

2.1" call looking decent but will probably still bust high.

Archived