joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For DC south we have to realize that until the temp issue is resolved there will be huge bust potential. Most, if not all, of the borderline temps storms in DC take a long time to completely cool.

DTs first guess map is fun to look at but gotta factor in reality

The lack of posts this AM are two things, a lot of folks went to bed late after the Euro and a healthy skepticism that much of the area can overcome iffy temps for this to really work out. Lingering memories of 3/5 and 2/10 busts from 2013 in similar set-ups.

Yeah temps worry me. My high tomorrow is forecasted to be near 50

The lack of posts this AM are two things, a lot of folks went to bed late after the Euro and a healthy skepticism that much of the area can overcome iffy temps for this to really work out. Lingering memories of 3/5 and 2/10 busts from 2013 in similar set-ups.

I say it's both sleep and the 6z didn't torch so it is a waiting game. Hopes will ride on the 12z suite to see if the wetter/colder trend continues, especially from the euro. GFS ones seem to be on the cold side but that is to be expected.

Latest SREFS even wetter. Even it's temps look iffy unless you are north and west of DC. Even so, it looks like some will see a good snow out of this.

DC really can't deal with iffy temps. Iffy temps mean rain and lost QPF. It means bust after bust. You guys look golden, fairly good certain storm out there. I don't know about the rest of the metro folks, but I'm cautious until I see snow accumulating.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I say it's both sleep and the 6z didn't torch so it is a waiting game. Hopes will ride on the 12z suite to see if the wetter/colder trend continues, especially from the euro. GFS ones seem to be on the cold side but that is to be expected.

For DC south we have to realize that until the temp issue is resolved there will be huge bust potential. Most, if not all, of the borderline temps storms in DC take a long time to completely cool.

DTs first guess map is fun to look at but gotta factor in reality

It's good to see that we've all learned a little.   Temps are definitely a concern.  As modeled now, we're good...but it's way too marginal.  I mean look how we did last time....we were in the "golden' zone and models busted by like 8 degrees on temps and when we finally did get cold, we still couldn't accumulate properly for another 3 hours after that.    Gotta love the city and immediate burbs.

You do know it's Saturday morning, right?

6z NAM soundings are completely below freezing by 9z Monday for the BWI and DC area.  Surface is about 31-32F it looks like.  6z GFS has a warm layer around 800mb at 12z Monday.  Looks like the temp is right around freezing there...the layer is fairly thin.  Rest of the column is below freezing.  800mb is safely below freezing by 18z, but most of the precip is done then.  Probably can be over done with rates, but it's close.

BWI at 12z:

850.  1469.   -0.7   -1.2   220.7     2.1800.  1956.    0.3   -0.1   227.8    10.2750.  2473.   -1.2   -1.4   232.3    14.8

by 15Z:

850.  1472.   -0.8   -1.6   184.8     1.6800.  1958.   -0.3   -1.3   230.7     7.8750.  2472.   -2.2   -2.9   236.2    10.3

Cool. We all be crying tho if we are a smidge warmer than modeled.

Not me. Unless you mean warmer as in rain. I don't see much of that from dc north. Good chance this will be the heaviest rate storm of the year by far. If I can add 1-2" on the seasonal ill be totally happy. It has some paste potential for sure.

Temps are in a pretty tight envelope and qpf keeps going up. I'm in

Not me. Unless you mean warmer as in rain. I don't see much of that from dc north. Good chance this will be the heaviest rate storm of the year by far. If I can add 1-2" on the seasonal ill be totally happy. It has some paste potential for sure.

I am hope you are right.

if the American models are closer to being right than wrong, idk about DCA, but you and I should get 4"+, and I'm being a bit conservative I think

Archived