12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have seen several times this winter where the pattern looked great...there was a day or two of ****ty model runs and then it came back to a great looking pattern

Yeah, sometimes they get too stagnant with the larger circulations when this winter has been nothing short of a parade of waves. So as we get closer, they begin to sniff that out and get less "cut-scenario."

Reliving a fake 94' wannabe pattern is not what I would call "snowy" ... this run shows the potential other extreme in this pattern, as Matt's analogs have pointed to as a possibility.

Overall, pretty low confidence...and really always has been. So why are non-weather people still asking me about "30 inches" next week! :(

Because some dweeb on FB who thinks he is a weather expert posted the now infamous Euro control run that showed total snowfall for the first 10 days of Feb being epic. Crazy how this stuff goes viral. Cant tell you how many people have asked me about it at work in the last few days.

Because some dweeb on FB who thinks he is a weather expert posted the now infamous Euro control run that showed total snowfall for the first 10 days of Feb being epic. Crazy how this stuff goes viral. Cant tell you how many people have asked me about it at work in the last few days.

JI will do anything for attention   

HM has been uber informative here. Thanks. This is one solution that has always been out there. Now I will go get my rose colored glasses.

I agree, he's not even part of this area, but he puts up with us and offers good expertise.

Thanks everyone. That "dweeb" on fb will learn the hard way I guess about deterministic solutions beyond a week, especially with snow!

Another interesting thing to note is that at the heart of the PV split in the stratosphere around day 5-6, the PV gets shunted down into E Canada. The GFS this run absolutely destroyed our side's PV. The ECMWF on the other hand, holds onto it and sends it back toward Greenland. Even variations in the stratosphere can have a feedback effect.

I've done the math...If you go back to 99-2000 through 2012-13 or 2004-05 through 2012-13 and take the average it will likely  be very very close to your actual average....both  samples are pretty good...just dont start with 02-03..you will get an inflated average

Rough estimates IMBY:

20"

23" (15" in Feb 2006)

18" (lots of nickle and diming during the cold period)

11"

10"

85"

25" (14" from the psuhoffman MECS)

6"

~18"

Looks to be around 24" average in western Cockeysville, just like the map says. 18" median.

e5a7_canned_unicorn_meat_inside.jpg

That's just outright...disturbing!

This all reminds me of the scene in the amusement park from "Despicable Me", with the obnoxious game booth kid:

"You see that little space ship over there?  You see how it's not knocked over?  Do you know what that means, professor?  It means, you...don't...get...the...uni-corn!  Oh!  Do I see a frownie face?  Better luck next time!"

i have seen several times this winter where the pattern looked great...there was a day or two of ****ty model runs and then it came back to a great looking pattern

It's possible but there are reasons behind the shifts and we need those to change back also.  The guidance was suggesting a better NAO a few days ago, that was forcing the western trough to be more broad and shallow and storms to slide east.  The NAO is not a hot mess and the trough out west can dig and pump the ridge up the east coast. The pattern on the models right now for the next 6-10 days looks nothing like the one I was excited about 3 days ago.  It could shift back, it would not take a MAJOR change but right now everything is bleeding the wrong way.

EPS looks pretty good fri night - sat. Colder on the means than the op at the surface and 850's are ok. Looks like 2 pieces of energy are being keyed on and no single big wrapped up storm. Big spread on the second piece but definitely a decent look friday night on the means for a possible snowy outcome. Second piece looks warmer with problems. 

Down the line looks colder too. EPS has been looking really warm d11-15 but that has changed quite a bit. I'm not saying the mean is "cold" but it is mostly below normal on average. Nice to see the change. 

Wes, what do you make of the height patterns d11-15 on the global ensemble means? It's an unusual look for me. I already know it's flawed for snow but looks like good consensus for a solid -wpo/+epo pac pattern. The ridging in the sw and off of the socal coast keep us from torching. Mean trough axis seems to be centered east of the MS river. 

Looks like a wet period but anything wrapped goes nw and anything weak can slide? Am i thinking clearly?

Archived