• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Maybe a four inch event? Some messy small events. Slogging through models that give mediocre outcomes makes for a tough winter.

Its been a good winter. I'd love to get one bigger event, 6-10ish, but if not so be it. I am exactly at climo, and most are either close or over, so 2 or 3 more minor to moderate events and this winter will be more than anyone could have hoped for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been a good winter. I'd love to get one bigger event, 6-10ish, but if not so be it. I am exactly at climo, and most are either close or over, so 2 or 3 more minor to moderate events and this winter will be more than anyone could have hoped for.

Yup i am almost 2" over climo already. Anything we get from here on out is gravy.

Yup i am almost 2" over climo already. Anything we get from here on out is gravy.

Agreed...for you guys it has been a really solid winter

unfortunately the pattern isnt that good and past patterns similar to this one didn't produce big snows for DC...

But the problem I am having is finding one analog that looked like this setup. All of the analogs coming up had some pretty significant differences, enough so that I think it could be misleading. I don't mean to play into the hype by any means. The West Canadian Block that breaks produces effects across all of eastern Canada that kind of mimic what a -NAO would do. Is that enough to trump the basic analog guidance? I don't know...

I will say this. The biggest concern is not having the Pacific come out fast enough. Should it become stuck because of the western Canadian block, this storm will go bye-bye in a hurry.

But the problem I am having is finding one analog that looked like this setup. All of the analogs coming up had some pretty significant differences, enough so that I think it could be misleading. I don't mean to play into the hype by any means. The West Canadian Block that breaks produces effects across all of eastern Canada that kind of mimic what a -NAO would do. Is that enough to trump the basic analog guidance? I don't know...

I will say this. The biggest concern is not having the Pacific come out fast enough. Should it become stuck because of the western Canadian block, this storm will go bye-bye in a hurry.

Big run to run changes with gfs op handling the potential for phasing out west. 12z is continuing to slow down the progression but also had some big changes with not being so amped in front and bringing more confluence above us. It's a mess.

We need the fastest possible solution for obvious reasons regardless.

Big run to run changes with gfs op handling the potential for phasing out west. 12z is continuing to slow down the progression but also had some big changes with not being so amped in front and bringing more confluence above us. It's a mess.

We need the fastest possible solution for obvious reasons regardless.

Yeah, I'm still going over it but the first take-away was: wow, so different in Canada from the ECMWF. The entire evolution is just completely different with the breaking anticyclone in W. Canada and how the PV interacts with that downstream. So, yeah, the window of confluence / -NAO "mimic" will ultimately run out of time, the longer this takes.

Yeah, I'm still going over it but the first take-away was: wow, so different in Canada from the ECMWF. The entire evolution is just completely different with the breaking anticyclone in W. Canada and how the PV interacts with that downstream. So, yeah, the window of confluence / -NAO "mimic" will ultimately run out of time, the longer this takes.

So, is hanging the whole thing back out west and ejecting a piece in front a good thing or a bad thing? GFS solution is brand new for sure.

So, is hanging the whole thing back out west and ejecting a piece in front a good thing or a bad thing? GFS solution is brand new for sure.

Well, the more wrapped-up the trough becomes out west and slower the s/w are to eject out, the more likely this cuts inland, as today's 12z GFS showed. Should that end up more correct, you would then need the "-NAO mimic" and confluence to hold equally as long. In this winter, I wouldn't count on that...

Well, the more wrapped-up the trough becomes out west and slower the s/w are to eject out, the more likely this cuts inland, as today's 12z GFS showed. Should that end up more correct, you would then need the "-NAO mimic" and confluence to hold equally as long. In this winter, I wouldn't count on that...

It's an unusual run. It looks like it wants to eject energy in waves. A front running piece and then crappy track thereafter. I know one thing. The progression from 192 to 204 is pretty unlikely.

eleventy hundred inches

map:

attachicon.gifdc-region-average-snow-map.jpg

Most of those avg annual snowfall maps suck. There is a better one thats been posted many times..its better, but still has flaws. Best to use NCDC.

Heres the one I was referring to...its better as the other one is too general. This one has some oddities but overall best I have seen.

post-1005-0-14416800-1391187602_thumb.gi

Most of those avg annual snowfall maps suck. There is a better one thats been posted many times..its better, but still has flaws. Best to use NCDC.

Heres the one I was referring to...its better as the other one is too general. This one has some oddities but overall best I have seen.

attachicon.gifmd-snow-avg.gif

That one is a little dated, though I like it better visually. The one Ian posted has the current averages.

That one is a little dated, though I like it better visually. The one Ian posted has the current averages.

I have kept an average since I moved here in 1987, and it is not 10-12 inches as that map implies. It is very close to the 18.5, which iis the longer term (NCDC) average for Denton MD. I am 10 miles north of Denton. Ironically my current snowfall for this winter so far is exactly 18.5.

Archived