joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WPC is leaning quite west with their snowfall probabilities.  This is the most current image which stretches from 12Z Monday to 12Z Tuesday.  I suppose if there were another frame, the shaded areas would extend further east.

WvDAMyE.png

This seems to match up well with the SREF probabilities that QueenCityWx just posted.

Wow, overrunning event that far south I guess tends to produce ice. Have you seen soundings for Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia,

Atlanta would pick up quite a bit of snow (not sure how much as I'm pouring over it now...) but that's IF the moisture makes it that far north... The 12Z NAM really flings moisture northward as it tries to develop a low at 850 over southern MS. We need that to occur for moisture to work that far north. August and Columbia look decent, but there's still some warming at 800 mb that could create a mix of snow/sleet. In fact, August looks to start out as mainly sleet Tuesday morning before going to snow/sleet mix. 

the 12z nam would probably be a touch further south as far as the sweet spot goes in terms of liquid equivalent  but certainly still great for north ga/western carolinas. The area with the highest LE  totals could end up being a lot of sleet or ice.

That....is....just....beautiful even if it doesn't sweet spot MBY. 

Had no idea COD had such a great weather site. Thanks for sharing those..

the 12z nam would probably be a touch further south as far as the sweet spot goes in terms of liquid equivalent  but certainly still great for north ga/western carolinas. The area with the highest LE  totals could end up being a lot of sleet or ice. 

The WPC is leaning quite west with their snowfall probabilities.  This is the most current image which stretches from 12Z Monday to 12Z Tuesday.  I suppose if there were another frame, the shaded areas would extend further east.

This seems to match up well with the SREF probabilities that QueenCityWx just posted.

WPC's winter impact graphics are based solely on the SREF.

Look at this sounding from the NAM at hr 84 in Bainbridge, GA... Ouch. 

NAM_12_084_30.84;-84.76.gif

The vertical velocities are highest in the FL Panhandle/south GA up through the Coastal Carolinas. In fact, Charleston's sounding looks somewhat similar to this... IF!!! and that's a big IF, the NAM is correct.. FL Panhandle through southeast GA to the coastal Carolinas (Charleston through OBXish) would deal with more ice than snow... 

And finally.... 84 hours

attachicon.gif84hr.png

Hey guys, long-time no see.

Working the short-term desk today, but watching this system closely. Not sure what's up with those snow graphics but that's gotta include sleet or something. Our mid level temps and 850-700 thicknesses do not imply snow that far south at all. Our 12Z NAM display has a sharp southern edge of snow from Newnan to Athens. South of that would be FZRA or IP and could be quite significant if it pans out, which I doubt at this point. GFS and CMC slower and drier, 00Z ECMWF is bone dry. Long live the super-blend /*sarcasm*/!

That....is....just....beautiful even if it doesn't sweet spot MBY. 

GIven the placement of the 0 line, you may very well be in the sweet spot there.  Plus, it is fully phasing... the trough will continue to dig south and draw up a lot more precip.  Low will bomb out over the SE coast with that setup.

SREF does get the full phase but still puts down a great overrunning event.

Had no idea COD had such a great weather site. Thanks for sharing those..

My pleasure. I especially like their loops. You can really get a feel for how things are progressing when you put the maps into such smooth loops, like the radar loop. Also they have world wide gfs loops which is really cool.

Working the short-term desk today, but watching this system closely. Not sure what's up with those snow graphics but that's gotta include sleet or something. Our mid level temps and 850-700 thicknesses do not imply snow that far south at all. Our 12Z NAM display has a sharp southern edge of snow from Newnan to Athens. South of that would be FZRA or IP and could be quite significant if it pans out, which I doubt at this point. GFS and CMC slower and drier, 00Z ECMWF is bone dry. Long live the super-blend /*sarcasm*/!

Man... you know something's going on when Steve appears! Welcome back! Talk to us!

12z NAM looks icy as all hell down my way.  There might be a bit of snow by hr84, but that looks FZDZ or FZRN for most of it.  

I agree Chris it's a win/lose for you guys. Win for us as there is not enough of a cold press to force it south. NAM snowfall maps never do well with differentiating between snow and ice but you can see where that 540 line is to your north just far enough. My guess would be ZR to a switch over to a buttload of sleet. 

12z NAM looks icy as all hell down my way.  There might be a bit of snow by hr84, but that looks FZDZ or FZRN for most of it.  

RIGHT!? It's a little better back my way in Columbus, but still. It doesn't look like pure snow and it could very well be a wet snow, so ratios don't look that great. 

Oh well... Let's see if the the GFS & Euro trend west with their runs.

We just need the gfs to come on board so ffc and the nws will start honking lol ;)

850s would certainly argue for sleet/freezing rain through 84 in the central part of the state. But check out how cold 925mb temps are. Pretty rare to see such cold 925 mb temps with a storm around these parts and certainly argues for a very vigorous area of ice/sleet.

925mb

namUS_925_temp_084.gif

namUS_850_temp_084.gif

GIven the placement of the 0 line, you may very well be in the sweet spot there.  Plus, it is phasing... the trough will continue to dig south and draw up a lot more precip.  Low will bomb out over the SE coast with that setup.

I'm just cautiously optimistic about how much moisture could work it's way into my backyard. IF the NAM played out exactly like that then I would probably be in that really good gradient. I'll gladly take it.  

Welcome back! The little bit of a warm nose around 750 to about 825 really kill it for areas south of what you said. It's like a nasty mix for Columbus and gets worse towards Delta's way in Macon. BUT... Like you said, this is the NAM and we'll see what the others have to say about all of it. 

Oh... The joys of forecasting. LOL! 

Archived