amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or good news, I haven't had a Canadian snowstorm verify here in a long time.

I lost count on how many times it has given me fantasy snow or ice this year.

But I was really hoping to see it hold on. IIRC back in 2010, the canadian out performed the gfs/euro by sticking to it's guns. You never really want to see a model take a storm away after showing it for several runs in a row.

And the GGEM caves some... disappointing.  It's still a big hit for coastal NC/SC, though.

Yeah I said " a little something" but it's still a good hit over the extreme eastern sc coast and nc coast (but nothing compared to earlier runs) . But otherwise, it's bye bye baby.

Yeah I said " a little something" but it's still a good hit over the extreme eastern sc coast and nc coast (but nothing compared to earlier runs) . But otherwise, it's bye bye baby.

Ironically, snowwise, the 12Z CMC, which has much lighter precip., gives more snow to the coast than prior runs and most recent models, which have given mainly either major ZR/IP or nothing. SAV gets ~0.15" and CHS ~0.25".

ok reality check: We can't live model run to model run. You  need to remember in 2010 that we lost the Christmas storm a couple of runs and it came back...

Y'all are killin me, just like what everyone was doing in Dec '10. This isn't game set match, this isn't all she wrote, it's not anywhere near over even if the euro shows nothing. If 0z Monday shows nothing then I will write it off but until then ANYONE from the mountains to the coast are game.

ok reality check: We can't live model run to model run. You  need to remember in 2010 that we lost the Christmas storm a couple of runs and it came back...

Ok, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way !!

Yes, history has usually favored the NW trend, but most of the time that was because of the cold bias the GFS had....The pattern doesn't scream NW trend really at all.  In fact, the pattern screams meat grinder, dry and cold.  I want everyone to get wintry precip, I really do, but I just don't know in this case.  I DO think the best chances are along the coast with some chances over the middle portions of the states.  Northern portions of the states could see some, but I just don't think this is the pattern for it.  IMO

Y'all are killin me, just like what everyone was doing in Dec '10. This isn't game set match, this isn't all she wrote, it's not anywhere near over even if the euro shows nothing. If 0z Monday shows nothing then I will write it off but until then ANYONE from the mountains to the coast are game.

No one has said it's all over. No one has said it won't change back either. Just pointing out what the run is showing. It's always annoying that people often times will claim you are saying/forecasting one thing when you are actually just pointing out what the hell the models are showing. That should always be obvious to people but it's amazing how many can't tell the difference

Ironically, snowwise, the 12Z CMC, which has much lighter precip., gives more snow to the coast than prior runs and most recent models, which have given mainly either major ZR/IP or nothing. SAV gets ~0.15" and CHS ~0.25".

I imagine folks down there would gladly take that

WPC is basically saying "not going with that energy out west."  ...

UNDERNEATH...APOTENTIAL WILD CARD IS IN THE FORM OF AN UPPER LOW THAT MAY FORMNEAR SRN BAJA CALIF AND EVENTUALLY BE KICKED NEWD.  PREFER TODOWNPLAY THAT SCENARIO GIVEN LIMITED PATTERN NOR COMMON GUIDANCESUPPORT.

Still amazed the ensemble mean is so much wetter on the GEFS, get's the 0.25-0.5" precip line almost to RDU, 0.5"+ confined to coast.

Yep, the 12Z GEFS is much wetter than the 12Z GFS though it isn't as wet as the 6Z GEFS. It is similar to the 0Z GEFS and MUCH wetter than the very dry 18Z GEFS.

So, we again have a very dry outlier in the 12Z gFS. I'd like to ask this again. Are the GFS and Euro op., as single members that have no perturb. of the init., that much more telling than the many much wetter members? In other words, how much better is the op. than any other member?

Yep, the 12Z GEFS is much wetter than the 12Z GFS though it isn't as wet as the 6Z GEFS. It is similar to the 0Z GEFS and MUCH wetter than the very dry 18Z GEFS.

So, we again have a very dry outlier in the 12Z gFS. I'd like to ask this again. Are the GFS and Euro op., as single members that have no perturb. of the init., that much more telling than the many much wetter members? In other words, how much better is the op. than any other member?

If the Euro would just tick back west that would give us hope at least, supposedly the best model on the planet, we can take variability of GFS and CMC but not when the Euro joins them.

If I was a betting man in Vegas and had the odds of NW trend or SE trend I would definitely put my money on the NW trend just because I have been in the sweet spot 3-5 days before and been burnt many a time.  Seems almost climo in this area.

True. Seen it happen many many times. This will probably be the same case in point.

Which really euro didn't look half bad last night and there is some similarities between that in the NAM. Right now I'd go EE and more than likely GGEM,GFS  will play catch up later tonight into tomorrow. But thats my thoughts.... either way I'm not worried about it. 

EE rule could come into effect soon.

For those that don't know that terminology let me briefly explain it. If the nam and euro are in agreement don't bet against them. :)

needless to say the game pretty much rides on this Euro run,  cause I'd say at this point 'we' are down 2 scores early in the 4th quarter

Is that the 00Z or 12Z?  My freebie site doesn't update till around 2pm.

AmericanWx/RaleighWx's models has JMA through 72 completed.  I for the life of me can't find UK 5h vorticity maps, I used to have it book marked, it showing a weak low off the coast, a little to far east though.  Anyone???

Archived