• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

Talk with a local meteorologist friend of mine in southeastern nc. He was saying that even with the shifts it still looked promising for the coast inland to about 100 miles. He knows all the maps y'all know and I certainly don't but that is how he broke it down to me. That sound about right to y'all? I love this site and will be donating to it because it is well worth it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the 12Z GEFS is much wetter than the 12Z GFS though it isn't as wet as the 6Z GEFS. It is similar to the 0Z GEFS and MUCH wetter than the very dry 18Z GEFS.

So, we again have a very dry outlier in the 12Z gFS. I'd like to ask this again. Are the GFS and Euro op., as single members that have no perturb. of the init., that much more telling than the many much wetter members? In other words, how much better is the op. than any other member?

The operational members are the More skilled and many times will lead the ens members.

Not always but often .

Interesting to watch the goings on with the various models today. No single model run today will determine whether or not there is still a potential. Lots of changes are likely to still occur.

Folks should remember that the energy coming into Canada will not properly sampled until probably Sunday night. That is a big factor here. 

Folks should remember that the energy coming into Canada will not properly sampled until probably Sunday night. That is a big factor here. 

This gets brought up a lot, and I'm curious: how much more accurate will tonight's 00z models be compared to today's 12z models if the energy hasn't been properly sampled yet? The models will throw many different solutions, but will it really be more accurate before the energy is even sampled?

This gets brought up a lot, and I'm curious: how much more accurate will tonight's 00z models be compared to today's 12z models if the energy hasn't been properly sampled yet? The models will throw many different solutions, but will it really be more accurate before the energy is even sampled?

Overall models tend to have a good handle on the general course of the energy. However when your talking 100 mile shifts making differences this is where you really need a good sample. A lot of times it gets overplayed but just look towards last week when you didn't get a true sense of where energy was going until 24 hours out and parts of NC got snow where there was not supposed to be any 48 hours out. 

Talk with a local meteorologist friend of mine in southeastern nc. He was saying that even with the shifts it still looked promising for the coast inland to about 100 miles. He knows all the maps y'all know and I certainly don't but that is how he broke it down to me. That sound about right to y'all? I love this site and will be donating to it because it is well worth it.

Your a good man to DONATE to this site.. I hope more will follow your example !!

Welcome back! The little bit of a warm nose around 750 to about 825 really kill it for areas south of what you said. It's like a nasty mix for Columbus and gets worse towards Delta's way in Macon. BUT... Like you said, this is the NAM and we'll see what the others have to say about all of it. 

Oh... The joys of forecasting. LOL! 

This is what I think will wring out eventually.  I've been telling you a mid Ga storm is coming :)  Tony

Out to 48 it looks like the Euro is taking a baby step in the right direction. Northern energy looks slightly more westward. SW looks different as well though it does look like that energy is cutting off but it's also further NE off the Cali coast than 00z had it. 

certainly less separation through 54 hours than the 0z run. We'll see if it means anything.

Interesting to watch the goings on with the various models today. No single model run today will determine whether or not there is still a potential. Lots of changes are likely to still occur.

And I think it is going to drive us crazy. So wild how one model can be showing a big storm for a lot of foks and another shows nothing. Madening that such small details can make such a big differencce. And then you have the GFFS and Euro ensembles different from the ops. No wonder it is so hard to forecast snow here.

Out to 60 that energy out west looks very close to linking up and moving east. Probably not going to do it this run but it looked like a step in the direction we want to go. 

I was thinking it probably wouldn't do so this run either but if it trended this much over the next 1 or 2 runs we might be in business on the euro. Frustrating to see it so very close.

How did the Euro match up with the NAM during the first 48 hours of their runs? I think that is key. I would look, but I'm not at a computer right now.

My maps don't have the actually vorts...but it looked like it was pretty close to the NAM until about hour 54. 18z NAM and 00z NAM are going to tell the tale tonight. 

Archived