wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll see a trend NW with time. This is a pretty classic timeframe for the models to have difficulty with a storm. Whether the trend is good enough for the western and central sections is to be determined, but I think the coastal plain is very much in play for a decent system. in some ways this reminds me of the xmas storm from a few years ago. the players are pretty much identical and i think the margin for error is on our side with this setup. just say patient and don't jump off a bridge yet.

21z sref's are correcting East.  Remember that they are Short Range models and we are not quite into the short range yet.  They might be more useful with less than 48 hours before a storm.

sref_namer_087_precip_p24.gif

the sref is just a mean of various nam members (eta/nmm/arw). it's going to show often times what the operational nam show's. it's not really a different model.

I'm relatively new to the in-depth model analyzing. Would someone be kind enough to explain to me what is meant by the "fresh data" the models will receive tomorrow? Thanks!

The models will be able to use current radiosonde upper air samples that will provide better model initialization data. 

I think we'll see a trend NW with time. This is a pretty classic timeframe for the models to have difficulty with a storm. Whether the trend is good enough for the western and central sections is to be determined, but I think the coastal plain is very much in play for a decent system. in some ways this reminds me of the xmas storm from a few years ago. the players are pretty much identical and i think the margin for error is on our side with this setup. just say patient and don't jump off a bridge yet.

I agree with you HKY_WX. This is a very complicated set-up, and models do not handle complicated set-ups well. It will be important to monitor the trends over the next few runs...

21z sref's are correcting East.  Remember that they are Short Range models and we are not quite into the short range yet.  They might be more useful with less than 48 hours before a storm.

Yeah, and the only thing keeping the mean as west as it is now at 21Z is, once again, a few really crazy members.  The MBP3 member, for instance, is showing 12 inches of snow at Hickory.  Hah!  That helps to get the SREF mean for Hickory above 1 inch.  Apparently, only the NMB sub-family of SREF models are gung-ho on the westward trend.  Their mean average alone for Hickory is 3.5 inches.  The other two sub-families, the NMM and ARW, show nothing at all for Hickory.

I agree we're still in the game but we'll need to see that NW trend soon; say by 12z tomorrow(or even tonight). Certain things (Baja low ejecting east) have to happen sooner than the actual storm setup in the SE.

I agree with you HKY_WX. This is a very complicated set-up, and models do not handle complicated set-ups well. It will be important to monitor the trends over the next few runs...

Yea, it will be fun to watch from a met' perspective. I'm looking forward to the runs over the next 2 days. hopefully things trend our way.

The big difference between hr 51 on the 00Z NAM & hr 57 of the 18Z GFS is the northern stream. It's more west on the NAM & that's a good thing... for now. Let's see if it's still able to pick up the southern energy, though.

I imagine the kicker is weaker this run?

Archived