joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS was encouraging to see. Now we have to see if we can get the trend northward in the moisture to give the mountains, foothills and piedmont areas snow. I am glad to see the this trend tonight, and it makes the rest of the model runs very important.

The models do not handle phasing very well, so lets see what happens as we move forward. I am not ready to write this one off yet.

Yes it is and the rollercoaster ride is far from over. Now since the trend has gotten better still questions remain on the amount or any phasing and the strenght and charactistics downstream over the NE and Canada.

Its interesting at the difference between nam and gfs with the PV over Canada. Nam is weaker and further south while GFS is stronger and north.  Could def allow some play for a N/W trend to come in.

Seriously, if the NAM was right, how far back would have to go back to find a storm like this in the Panhandle?

I'm not sure but that would be devastating for that area. But there is a good list below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

That's funny, I was reading that Wikipedia piece just a minute ago -- a few 2-4 inch snows mentioned, but really nothing at all about big ice or sleet storms. My guess is, quite unprecedented.

Yes it is and the rollercoaster ride is far from over. Now since the trend has gotten better still questions remain on the amount or any phasing and the strenght and charactistics downstream over the NE and Canada.

Its interesting at the difference between nam and gfs with the PV over Canada. Nam is weaker and further south while GFS is stronger and north.  Could def allow some play for a N/W trend to come in.

I'm not sure but that would be devastating for that area. But there is a good list below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Florida

Was there any new data ingest for tonight's runs?

I feel like we've seen this show before a few years ago...

No mention that I saw

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service

EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)

from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.

NOUS42 KWNO 260405

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

0400Z SUN JAN 26 2014

00Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION IS ON TIME..

SHIREY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Straight crushed. Really this is an amazing trend. If the Euro comes on board look out. Again I find it extremely hard to believe we wouldn't see more moisture out of this.

Little stunned with such a big shift, wasn't expecting that. Not sure I can make it another hour. Good news is the 3 big models so far all got better.

Haven't posted too much on the boards since moving to Charleston two years ago, but that 0z GFS would be quite the devestating ice event for the Charleston area. 1.2" QPF with sfc mainly at or below freezing a couple miles inland from the beaches. Could maybe eek out an inch of snow on this run which would be nothing to sneeze at given 2" would tie the fifth biggest snowfall.

I hope it's not some 3 big dogs and 12 dry run equation skewing this thing. By the way how many indy's are there for GFS, 18?

There's 5 completely dry (OTS) members. Most of the big dogs are on the coast with the big precip (1.5 or 2"+) however there's lots of inland action of these big dogs, especially GA/SC with 1.0"+ liquid. There's one with 3.0" liquid on GA/SC border.

I assume in most coastal areas (especially NC) that's snow though. Definitely some sort of frozen precip.

Yeah it's Ice/Snow on the coast, snow inland. I thought he was asking are my inches snow or liquid from the individual members. All inch values in that post are liquid..how that translates in certain situations depends...although 3.0" on the GA/SC border with the temps the way they will be is unheard of.

There's 5 completely dry (OTS) members. Most of the big dogs are on the coast with the big precip (1.5 or 2"+) however there's lots of inland action of these big dogs, especially GA/SC with 1.0"+ liquid. There's one with 3.0" liquid on GA/SC border.

Thnx Jon! Just need .10-.20 with what should be great ratios. Of course I'd love to get hammered, but .25+ is gravy back over this way compared to where we've been sitting at viewing models today. Fighting the sand man but hopefully euro op will keep the trend going. It's ensembles will be telling when we see them in the a.m.

Archived