wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't trust those NAM snow accumulation maps. They also show a couple inches in Tallahassee by 84 hours...but soundings clearly show a rain/freezing rain setup there.  Also the precip type map shows ice...so not sure if its accumulating all frozen precip or what.

Regardless, the NAM show a massive ice storm for the S AL/S GA and the Florida Panhandle, possibly reaching as far east as Tallahassee.  And precip is still streaming into the region at the end of the run.

I'm skeptical, given the climatology of Tallahassee Ice Storms (i.e. I don't know of any).  We'll see.

Yeah.. Most other maps have that, but stuff coming through our WSI computers looks about right... It doesn't show any snow in Tally, but shows a crazy ice (not shown on this map) for locations over Tally and north & west.

post-1807-0-36030500-1390705808_thumb.jp

I'm becoming increasingly concerned with models not really doing much for Atlanta area at all, let alone any of the Piedmont areas of the southeast. I honestly thought we'd get a pretty large NW trend going, but it just doesn't seem like it. If I was in central GA and even parts of southern GA, I'd be becoming increasingly happy with what models are showing. Maybe it's time to take a quick road trip to Macon this Wednesday  :ee: ?

I like that graphic...I still think a sleet/snow combo for csg to man *IFFF* there is any qpf at all up our way.  The southern portions of bama and ga might get slammed...

Thanks! That's what I was trying to show there... That the best chance of anything would be coastal areas of SC/NC/GA with more sleet chances across the Gulf Coast. Still unsure how far north the precip makes it, hence the slim chance. lol!

I did this around 5:30 this afternoon and will probably leave it as is for the 11. Tomorrow could be a big day (or crusher of dreams). Heck, the 00Z GFS could lead us that way. I'm always hesitant with leaning on the NAM, but the ensembles are wetter than the op GFS & Euro, so I can't discount that... The joys of forecasting wintry stuff in the southeast. :axe:  :lol:

I'm becoming increasingly concerned with models not really doing much for Atlanta area at all, let alone any of the Piedmont areas of the southeast. I honestly thought we'd get a pretty large NW trend going, but it just doesn't seem like it. If I was in central GA and even parts of southern GA, I'd be becoming increasingly happy with what models are showing. Maybe it's time to take a quick road trip to Macon this Wednesday :ee: ?

Climo tends to win out in These events a lot, sure historic events do and have to occur eventually but odds are if this baby is north enough to impact the SE it will probably be warmer and north of what the nam shows right now 98 out of 100 times...also due to overrunning you have to watch for more precip to maybe break out further north and over a more widespread area in this sort of event so even in this exact setup ATL may see something

Climo tends to win out in These events a lot, sure historic events do and have to occur eventually but odds are if this baby is north enough to impact the SE it will probably be warmer and north of what the nam shows right now 98 out of 100 times

History wouldn't be history if it didn't happen. At some point, the dice will roll the right number. This could be the number for many in the deep deep south and coastal areas. Of course climo and chances are against it, but for some of these places, it's been over 100 years. It can and will happen again whether or not it's next week or decades down the road.

Hey guys! Give this a whirl! I think most of you will like it. ;)

http://wxcaster.com/PointBasedProducts.html

This is for Columbus showing the snow.

post-1807-0-81049600-1390706855_thumb.pn

This is for Marianna, FL and it shows the warm layer between 800-900 mb which leads to the ice there/

post-1807-0-11589000-1390706995_thumb.pn

I have Relative Humidity & Temperature showing for both.

History wouldn't be history if it didn't happen. At some point, the dice will roll the right number. This could be the number for many in the deep deep south and coastal areas. Of course climo and chances are against it, but for some of these places, it's been over 100 years. It can and will happen again whether or not it's next week or decades down the road.

I know VLD and JAX saw snow in 89 and New Orleans back in 09 but nothing of this magnitude at least for NO, anyone know their last measurable amount over say a half inch?

I know VLD and JAX saw snow in 89 and New Orleans back in 09 but nothing of this magnitude at least for NO, anyone know their last measurable amount over say a half inch?

Not sure about New Orleans, but the last 1 inch plus event in Mobile was Dec 18, 1996. The February 2010 event produced a half inch in Mobile, but 3-5 inches just north of town. The greatest snow event on record in Mobile is 6 inches set back in 1895.

Christmas Day 04, 1.5 inches apparently.

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans-Magazine/January-2013/When-It-Snowed-in-New-Orleans/

NOLA had some decent snows in the last 150 years.

I love these kinds of events down here.  That sleet line on the northern edge could be 15 miles wide and waffle back and forth. Some of the best have set up through here, but you can miss them by 15 miles too.  I heard Griffin got an inch in 73, and Orchard Hill/Milner 15 miles down about 2, so it cuts off quick as Macon is only 70 miles and they got 16 or so.

Candyman, at least no zrain for up here as of yet :)  And this could be on of those heartbreaking being too far north while being south of Atl, lol.  T

Archived