• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

Out to 30 to my untrained eye the 12z GFS looks pretty close to the NAM at the same time frame. Two pieces of energy off the coast of Cali. Northern energy has a piece broken out on the west side. 6z had the northern energy all as one piece. Also had the energy out west as one strung out piece of energy. Small changes but could spell good things down the line. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the 0z op. models weren't on board, but I think it is deceiving to think of the 0z GFS and Euro as not being on board considering their much wetter ens mean. Also, the 6z GFS ens was very juicy. I 'd be pretty surprised if the 12z GFS and Euro we're not much wetter than the 0z. Even the 6z GFS trended much wetter just offshore. Those 0z op runs were a big psyche out IMO.

It is trending in the right direction.. not quite there yet.  The polar s/w on the NAM is a bit farther west and able to capture the southern wave.  GFS still just misses it and leaves the southern wave behind.

NAM has the polar vort over N Utah at 66 hrs. GFS has it over central WY.

It is trending in the right direction.. not quite there yet.  The polar s/w on the NAM is a bit farther west and able to capture the southern wave.  GFS still just misses it and leaves the southern wave behind.

That's the key phrase. If it had done the opposite, I would have said we might be in trouble. Still a good sign. I didn't expect any radical changes anyway.

Just to compare. The GFS at 75 has our energy just chilling east of the Bajah in Mexico. NAM had it going into TX. 

Yes, but also notice the placement of the polar s/w as it enters the US.  THat's also another factor we need to watch.

Yes, but also notice the placement of the polar s/w as it enters the US.  THat's also another factor we need to watch.

Yep much diggier in the west. The 6z was a little more west so as you said it's a step. I like that it's quicker even though it's too late with that big cutoff it forms. That also gives me hope since it's seeing changes but hopefully it just isn't grasping what those changes are.

GFS is going to be rolling any minute now. For those lurking who are looking at maps saying, "what the hell am I looking for?". Look at the 500mb maps and you want to watch that energy off the Cali coast at around hour 48. Does it rotate down and just sit there getting stronger to the point it can't move or does the GFS push it into the baja right away. If it starts moving east at a good clip then it's GAME ON! 

Thank you!!!

Yep, the 12z GFS is still dry through 108. However, it is much wetter down below at 108. 2nd wave coming up?

Doesn't quite get it's act together. I am a little worried with how the NAM pushed that energy southward kind of like the GFS does. We are riding a fine line of how south it goes. Hopefully the CMC holds serve and the Euro gives us a surprise today. 

Yep, the 12z GFS is still dry through 108. However, it is much wetter down below at 108. 2nd wave coming up?

yeah at least it's a little wetter over the gulf

But the differences aloft between the gfs and nam is pretty incredible because of the timing differences and the interaction or lack there of with the northern stream/sw.

the 12z gfs did trend a little better vs the 06z run....being slightly faster with the southern sw and a bit further west with the northern stream. Still has a ways to go but at least it didn't go the other way.

Honestly I think it has more to do with the polar branch s/w. if you compare the vorticity maps of the various models, the 00z GGEM is actually further west with this southern stream energy at hour 96 when compared to hour 84 of the GFS. The GFS's polar branch s/w is further east (over KS/NE) and thus it dampens out this southern s/w energy and it is ultra suppressed. The GGEM has this same s/w over Co/NM and it is able to interact with this southern stream energy.

The 12z NAm also has the s/w back over CO/NM, but it is faster with the southern stream energy, and hence the interaction/partial phasing occurs further west and the precip is further north and west.

The 00z ECMWF has the polar s/w in a similar path/digging as the NAM/GGEM but it may be playing to its typical bias of allowing the southern branch energy to cut off too much. Notice it never brings this southern energy out and hence it is all polar branch.

We need both branches to interact and at the right time.

My hunch is that the ECMWF will come back around in the next couple cycles. My  hunch is that the NAM may be too fast with the southern stream energy since it could have boundary issues.

I think the GFS though is likely too supressed.

My hu

Honestly I think it has more to do with the polar branch s/w. if you compare the vorticity maps of the various models, the 00z GGEM is actually further west with this southern stream energy at hour 96 when compared to hour 84 of the GFS. The GFS's polar branch s/w is further east (over KS/NE) and thus it dampens out this southern s/w energy and it is ultra suppressed. The GGEM has this same s/w over Co/NM and it is able to interact with this southern stream energy.

Good to hear. Guess that will be the focus of my attention in future runs as Wow pointed out earlier. 

Is the op member of GFS/Euro actually that much better than any one other ens member at 84 hours? I know it has no perturb. in init. Does that make it that much better? If so, that would mean legit concern. But if not, not really so much. Any opinion?

Both models at 48 have the southern parcel as one would expect nearly identical.  It's the northern stream that by even 48 hours begins to show large differences.  NAM has the PNA in tact, whereas the GFS begins breaking it down.  Result is the NAM with it's wsw flow aloft further west ingests the southern system and partially phases with the stream diving down thru the Rockies. 

Can't be much longer before one or the other caves.  Unusually stark differences between the two models with not much room for compromise. 

Archived