Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 21st Snowstorm OBS

snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though this shows about 7 1/2" I am still going to say about 6" is actually on the ground. Where I have my ruler on the deck has gotten some wind that has affected this reading. Going to work on finding another place to move it to. 

Edit: Actually after observing the position I am going to leave it. The wind is really not an issue. 

post-5359-0-34742600-1390325728_thumb.jp

Past 2:30 pm is when this will all start to feel different for the urban areas--- sun dips enough along with the still falling temperatures to allow much better sidewalk/street coverage. 

yeah my plan is to head out around then or so. i haven't measured here yet but we're doing alright considering.. grass blades disappearing. should beat the early mo storm at least.

It's weird, my visibility would say this is moderate snow but the flakes are puny but lots and lots of them.  The road in front of my house is now covered.   Should snow in mby until 11 or midnight. 

yeah..flake size is getting better here., but still moderate

Intensity expanding regionwide. High res radar looks pretty. 

Not in Reston at the moment.  Still the teeny-tiny flakes that you kind of have to look hard for to see.

On a side-note, I heard Doug Hill say on WTOP this morning that 5-10 inch snowstorms were not "major" snowstorms for D.C.  Oh...

If you give them Lat/Lon, they'll do that.  Same thing happens to me, they call me 2mi NNE Boyds instead of Clarksburg even though I am definitely in Clarksburg.  It must have something to do with the grid layout in their mapping DB.

They put me in Crownsville; I've always figured it's for the same reason.

Less than an inch here in Mitchellville PG Co. (work). Windy SN. Blacktop parking still half-black.

Archived