Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hotter the better (in summer)

Play a softball double-header in the outfield on one of those days and you might not agree! :P  Especially when the opposing team crushes damn near every pitch out there and you're running all over the place.

EDIT:  I will say that the cheap beer makes it a tad more bearable!

:lmao: that is brutal. I am just a weirdo that loves extreme weather. 

Back to the topic though. It seems like we are ending this month the right way, coldest temps of the season and multiple threats on the table. 

Ha!  Yeah, it was brutal especially since our team sucked that year so they were hammering the ball everywhere!  I agree, extreme weather is very interesting, though I much prefer the snow/cold variety.

And yes, on topic...I'm intrigued by the last part of this month in general and the possible event next Wednesday in particular.  Interesting that the Euro (and to a lesser extent the GFS?) is giving some nod to that potentially becoming more than a Carolina-only storm.  As someone said earlier in here, when's the last time we had a storm that ran the coast?  May be nothing in the end, but...well, worth keeping an eye on I suppose.

18z gefs shows 2 hits and some scrapes. One hit looks just like the euro. But only 2 members doesn't give much confidence. But it's a baby step from 12z.

OTOH- 18z gefs is very active down the line. Pac moisture opens up and all kinds of various looks. We're on the winning side of some solutions and losing side on others. Regardless, there's a heck of a lot of storminess across the country and lots of moisture. Superbowl sunday is going to get interesting for nyc I have a feeling.

Cold temps yes but none of the threats look that solid to me...it will take some winter magic to pull that trough back NW to make this a good threat for most of us on Wednesday...I may eat those words though

84 hours before the last event the models barely had a storm, this setup is as good or even better as the last storm.

Totally agree with you on that. I'm still quite amazed by how little time we had actually tracking the storm before it came.

As others have said, those are the best kind, boom or bust. Bob and a select few including myself watched from a bit further out, but most caught on inside 3 days. I love next Wednesday's threat right now. And think for the average model watcher, not laser weenie like Bob, the Wednesday event could have similar offerings.

Definitely better than a 10 day devastator, 12/26/10 was tear jerking.

The only snow event of consequence where BWI/DCA received a moderate or better event along with places like SBY and Norfolk I can recall was the 3/1/80 storm which crushed SE VA and eastern NC about as much as Duke crushed by hopes that night when they beat MD by 1 pt in the ACC tournament (and, of course, MD had several chances to win at the end.)

I think BWI received around 5" and DCA was probably closer to 7" (I'm sure Wes has a better memory of it in light of my double emotional devastation that night!) Elizabeth City, NC was near 2' and Norfolk was probably closer to 18".

I would also note that 79/80 was a neutral ENSO with below temps DEC, FEB & MAR at BWI.

Don't forget about the Blizzard of 96.  That crushed just about everyone and everything along a line from Charlotte to Greenville, NC and northward, including Salisbury (MD), Norfolk, etc.  Obviously, it was a bigger hit for DCA and BWI, but it was still a solid warning criteria event for all.

Blizzard_of_1996_Jan7b-96.jpg

I don't see any similarity with what just happened. This thing is much more suppressed to the south and east IMO

Still a long way to go however I tend to agree with you. The last kinda blew up and coincided along with the arctic intrusion. This one looks a lot harder to time with the new arctic air mass that comes in on Mon. night and Tues. By late Tues. and early Wed. morning the air mass is deeply entrenched so it seems OTS or offshore development is more likely but who knows. Still always hope for the best and know drastic changes can happen in a short period.

At least we get dumped on after the superbowl. Too bad its rain

As long as it's mostly clear with temps dropping through the 20s and light winds for the Super Bowl. Because that's my 10 Day SuperCast

Not too optimistic for the Wed-Thu chances but we do have time for things to change. With huge area of arctic HP to our west and the broad look to the trough, hard to imagine getting a storm close enough to the coast to have any affect on our weather. Euro was the only model really showing anything and now it looks at best a glancing blow for immediate coast. Model mayhem and NW trends commence by Sunday..

Archived