• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

Yep but  the euro is starting to show the separation we need.  It will be interesting to see what its ensembles do today. I'm encouraged by the GFS run and the euro.  I wonder whether DT will start crowing about southern VA? 

It's ironic in a way of being careful what you wish for. I was all bummed about monday going north. But if it didn't we wouldn't be having this conversation. heh. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it would come north enough to screw Matt and I cause at least there will be no ptype issues. 

I think dryslot / ptype / and too far north issues are the least of our worries. Not impossible but highly improbable. If this thing comes up the n md jackpot would be because of terrain influence. We would get hit pretty flush too. Let's make this happen. Get optimistic Wes!

Yep but  the euro is starting to show the separation we need.  It will be interesting to see what its ensembles do today. I'm encouraged by the GFS run and the euro.  I wonder whether DT will start crowing about southern VA? 

DT is thinking its a possible, but unlikley situation without the trough deepening. He says it is not sharp enough and can't come up unless it sharpens. So he's not barking.

Right now it seems like every 3rd clipper really turn out well for us. That looks to continue into early February. When I went -3 to -5 for Janauary and referenced some historic cold this is what I had in mind. Did not forsee the near 60 interruptions and that's a shame but it's the pattern. Still turning out to be a very good winter.

HM do you think this is a storm that  phases up big time and comes up the coast?

As others have noted, MR-LR modeling has been quite variable with individual storm threats. But longer-term means, climo and general patterns have been stellar in the numerical guidance. Anyway, notice the modeling doesn't quite partially phase these waves as the system leaves the East. The GFS was actually a lot closer in doing it than the ECMWF. We'll see how this goes but I like the potential a lot for the following reasons:

1. All 3 streams are present and become 1 upper-level jet (plot 200mb winds e.g.) up the East Coast.

2. This wave drops straight down from polar lats behind a departing PV that was just anomalously south.

3. Brief "-NAO west" blip negative at Day 3-5 will begin to rise thereafter as PV races back north.

4. Some Pacific flow begins undercutting PNA in about 5 days.

5. Enhanced oceanic baroclinicity from recent/incoming Arctic Air.

As others have noted, MR-LR modeling has been quite variable with individual storm threats. But longer-term means, climo and general patterns have been stellar in the numerical guidance. Anyway, notice the modeling doesn't quite partially phase these waves as the system leaves the East. The GFS was actually a lot closer in doing it than the ECMWF. We'll see how this goes but I like the potential a lot for the following reasons:

1. All 3 streams are present and become 1 upper-level jet (plot 200mb winds e.g.) up the East Coast.

2. This wave drops straight down from polar lats behind a departing PV that was just anomalously south.

3. Brief "-NAO west" blip negative at Day 3-5 will begin to rise thereafter as PV races back north.

4. Some Pacific flow begins undercutting PNA in about 5 days.

5. Enhanced oceanic baroclinicity from recent/incoming Arctic Air.

This fact gives more credence since the GFS has been out performing EURO recently.

Euro op and ensembles are really trending towards a -ao/nao combo down the line. Last nights ensemble run and today's op really show it.

Matt and others were taking about our best chance for real and sustained blocking to happen in Feb. Gfs/gefs have glimmers but the euro is really trying to get it done.

We've managed a decent winter with a terrible Atlantic. Ao went negative in 2 occurrences this month and it snowed both times. Gefs shows another valley next week.

If we pull off real blocking in Feb and capitalize, this winter may just about make up for the last 2 debacles. Or at least seriously dull the memories of pain and suffering

Thanks for the insight, HM. Really appreciate the extra layer of things to watch. All we can do is will it to happen. One op run at 5-6 day leads is only a cookie crumb of hope. But it's still hope.

Yeah, all we can do is watch and see if these waves interact more or if 1 of them can get enough separation to amplify on its own. Right now, the EPS/OP have 4 distinct waves in all 3 streams not partially phasing (this is why the low goes out to sea but still manages to scrape DC). Small adjustments in the PV configuration and suddenly it's a new scenario.

When you start talking three stream phasing my heart skips a beat.  thanks!

Yeah, all we can do is watch and see if these waves interact more or if 1 of them can get enough separation to amplify on its own. Right now, the EPS/OP have 4 distinct waves in all 3 streams not partially phasing (this is why the low goes out to sea but still manages to scrape DC). Small adjustments in the PV configuration and suddenly it's a new scenario.

When you start talking three stream phasing my heart skips a beat.  thanks!

Ha lol. Look, I haven't been confident in a lot of things this year and to be honest, my LR goggles for storm threats have been foggier than last year (LR-wise, I wasn't thrilled with 1/21). The blocking is there but not the classic North Atlantic retrograding with 50-50 underneath. We'll see...

Archived