Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with 7-14" for semi Like that means anything. lol

Well DTX has me down for 7-15" on their point and click. 1-3 Saturday night and 6-12" on Sunday. Not sure if I should be happy to be in the bullseye this far out considering I've fared better being on the fringes this winter...

Uh yeah not huge at all.  Maybe it won't pop off.  But it's a step from going nuclear now.  It may not happen.  But to say there aren't big changes at work would be dead wrong sorry.

GFS_3_2014010312_F60_RELV_500_MB_SM.pngGFS_3_2014010300_F72_RELV_500_MB_SM.png

NAM_221_2014010312_F60_RELV_500_MB_SM.pn

NAM_221_2014010300_F72_RELV_500_MB_SM.pn

Gotta agree with you.  It looks close.  I actually was checking this thread to see if anyone else was seeing the potential here.

I don't have a dog in this fight.  I can only hope for some high ratio lake snow and wind, but some of the wish casting going on in 'dis damn place is almost sad to see.  Ohio sooooo deserves this one but so does the Laf crew.

The track lately definitely hasn't been ideal for Northern Michigan especially for LES. Our clock is ticking for heavy LES events before Lake Mich turns into a tundra. I am glad that the southern areas are getting some decent action, been a while for them and much over due. Looks like another decent system next week for the southern lower lakes as well, maybe so other areas can get a little action as well.

We should get some LES on the back side, but it does appear to be to cold (hard to believe) for a good dumping. Going to be a nightmare driving to work Monday and Tuesday me thinks with all the wind and snow powder flying around.  This is the drawback to having such a good opening for winter, now dealing with the downside of all this cold. Plenty of time left though, although I like most are greeting a little sick of the cold, especially after having some frozen water pipes this morning.

Gotta agree with you.  It looks close.  I actually was checking this thread to see if anyone else was seeing the potential here.

Funny that I am the one wish-casting though.

The PV being a bit stronger and pressing harder to the SE has prevented the bomb going off so far.  Or it would already be that way.  It may not happen.  But to say the ncep models are not racing towards the GEM/Ukie/Euro is crap. 

when I say "deserve", I'm meaning who I'd really like to see get a whopper, not something owed. Areas that don't see many 6" ers imo "deserve" to see a damn good snow!

To be fair, 2011-2012 has been the only really terrible winter here the last 6-7 years. 

Normal Columbus Snowfall: 28.8"

2012-2013: 41.2"

2011-2012: 12.2"

2010-2011: 28.7"

2009-2010: 50.6"

2008-2009: 23.2"

2007-2008: 46.3"

2006-2007: 23.3"

Avg: 32.2"

Snows close to or over 6" during this period.

1. March 7-8, 2008: 20.5"

2. February 15-16, 2010: 10.4"

3. February 5-6, 2010: 9.9"

4. January 27-28, 2009: 7.4"

5. March 5-6, 2013: 7.0"

6. February 13-14, 2007: 6.2"

7. December 29, 2012: 5.9"

8. January 20, 2011: 5.7"

9. January 14, 2009: 5.6"

So just over 1 per season, which is about average.  Maybe there are others areas that have done worse than that, I don't know, but we've been doing as well as climo recently, if not better.

The track lately definitely hasn't been ideal for Northern Michigan especially for LES. Our clock is ticking for heavy LES events before Lake Mich turns into a tundra. I am glad that the southern areas are getting some decent action, been a while for them and much over due. Looks like another decent system next week for the southern lower lakes as well, maybe so other areas can get a little action as well.

We should get some LES on the back side, but it does appear to be to cold (hard to believe) for a good dumping. Going to be a nightmare driving to work Monday and Tuesday me thinks with all the wind and snow powder flying around.  This is the drawback to having such a good opening for winter, now dealing with the downside of all this cold. Plenty of time left though, although I like most are greeting a little sick of the cold, especially after having some frozen water pipes this morning.

I'll be the last to complain about not getting snow, but yeah, LM is locking up pretty quick, although I did talk to one met that said the storm force winds from the southwest should pile drive a lot of the ice towards the UP shore, opening the lake back up for some business.... even if at this point it would only be temporary.  what we haven't had in N MI this Winter is a good system snow or a nice L Sup connected band.  I had one last year that dropped 12" in 4.5 hours.

Like you said tho, time is ticking but lots of Winter left.  If this is your first Winter up here..... you're in for a surprise.... It's Winter til May :P

Just noticed this from EC

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 1:54 PM EST

FRIDAY 3 JANUARY 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FOR:

=NEW= CITY OF TORONTO

=NEW= WINDSOR - ESSEX - CHATHAM-KENT

=NEW= SARNIA - LAMBTON

=NEW= ELGIN

=NEW= LONDON - MIDDLESEX

=NEW= SIMCOE - DELHI - NORFOLK

=NEW= DUNNVILLE - CALEDONIA - HALDIMAND

=NEW= OXFORD - BRANT

=NEW= NIAGARA

=NEW= CITY OF HAMILTON

=NEW= HALTON - PEEL

=NEW= YORK - DURHAM

=NEW= HURON - PERTH

=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON

=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL

=NEW= GREY - BRUCE

=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND

=NEW= BELLEVILLE - QUINTE - NORTHUMBERLAND

=NEW= KINGSTON - PRINCE EDWARD

=NEW= PETERBOROUGH - KAWARTHA LAKES

=NEW= STIRLING - TWEED - SOUTH FRONTENAC

=NEW= BANCROFT - BON ECHO PARK

=NEW= BROCKVILLE - LEEDS AND GRENVILLE

=NEW= CITY OF OTTAWA

=NEW= GATINEAU

=NEW= PRESCOTT AND RUSSELL

=NEW= CORNWALL - MORRISBURG

=NEW= SMITHS FALLS - LANARK - SHARBOT LAKE

=NEW= PARRY SOUND - MUSKOKA

=NEW= HALIBURTON

=NEW= RENFREW - PEMBROKE - BARRY'S BAY

=NEW= ALGONQUIN

=NEW= BURK'S FALLS - BAYFIELD INLET.

HEAVY SNOW OVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO LATE SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT.

WINDY AND BITTERLY COLD MONDAY WITH BLOWING SNOW AND LAKE

EFFECT SNOWSQUALLS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

==DISCUSSION==

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP OVER OKLAHOMA SATURDAY

THEN INTENSIFY AND TRACK NORTHEASTWARD TO CROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO

SUNDAY NIGHT.

SNOW IS EXPECTED OVER ALL REGIONS SUNDAY. THE SNOW WILL BECOME HEAVY

OVER SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND OVER THE REMAINING

REGIONS SUNDAY EVENING. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF OVERNIGHT SUNDAY, BUT

WILL PERSIST INTO MONDAY MORNING OVER EASTERN ONTARIO. THE SNOW MAY

CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN OVER EASTERN ONTARIO EARLY MONDAY.

CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT MANY PLACES WILL SEE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF

15 TO 20 CM.

BEHIND THE STORM MONDAY BITTERLY COLD WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS WILL

PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. FURTHERMORE, SNOW SQUALLS ARE

FORECAST TO DEVELOP OFF LAKE HURON AND GEORGIAN BAY MONDAY AND

PERSIST INTO MID WEEK.

POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP OVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO SUNDAY.

ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS EVOLVING SITUATION

CLOSELY.

PLEASE MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND WARNINGS FROM ENVIRONMENT

CANADA AT WWW.WEATHEROFFICE.GC.CA

END

Funny that I am the one wish-casting though.

The PV being a bit stronger and pressing harder to the SE has prevented the bomb going off so far.  Or it would already be that way.  It may not happen.  But to say the ncep models are not racing towards the GEM/Ukie/Euro is crap. 

I still think you might get the bomb to go off either way with a more amplified solution even if the arctic airmass is still being undermodeled.

I'll be the last to complain about not getting snow, but yeah, LM is locking up pretty quick, although I did talk to one met that said the storm force winds from the southwest should pile drive a lot of the ice towards the UP shore, opening the lake back up for some business.... even if at this point it would only be temporary.  what we haven't had in N MI this Winter is a good system snow or a nice L Sup connected band.  I had one last year that dropped 12" in 4.5 hours.

Like you said tho, time is ticking but lots of Winter left.  If this is your first Winter up here..... you're in for a surprise.... It's Winter til May :P

Yes i agree, living in a Snowbelt and complaining about snow don't really go hand in hand :) Yes i noticed as well we haven't had a full fledged LES outbreak with Superior taping either. I did get hit about two weeks ago with a bad ass MESO low that dropped 18" in about 8 hours which was pretty  epic to see. No this isn't my first full winter in Northern Michigan, I lived near Fife Lake for about 1 1/2 years but they don';t get near the snow as farther north.

Once again sorry for hijacking the storm thread, although we will see a little action from this.  Might have to take the sleds down to my home town in Jackson for some riding, that area towards Detroit may approach us with snowpack depth!

Archived