gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it has much bearing on my back yard.

So this is not a blind statement of bias.

But I would be very very surprised if this is that suppressed and flat like the Euro shows with each model run showing the PV a bit West and the vort digging more.

The start time has slowed 6-8 hours in two days of models outside the NAM.  Which is now slowing as well.

I would expect a much stronger phased solution by 00z tonight models.

Not that it has much bearing on my back yard.

So this is not a blind statement of bias.

But I would be very very surprised if this is that suppressed and flat like the Euro shows with each model run showing the PV a bit West and the vort digging more.

The start time has slowed 6-8 hours in two days of models outside the NAM.  Which is now slowing as well.

I would expect a much stronger phased solution by 00z tonight models.

we speculate about that with every storm and quite frankly I cant think of any that suddenly showed explosive phasing in the last 48 or 60 hours outside a coastal event.   There is probably just as much chance that this shears out further southeast then it suddenly becomes some monster phased storm.  In fact with the strength of that incoming PV and front, there might be a slightly higher chance of the former scenario over the latter.

more likely neither will occur and we're looking at a fairly final solution, give or take a wobble and a couple of millibars.

now watch this morph into a 972 over indy at 00z  :lol: 

I'm going with the EURO/GGEM/GFS camp. Although I'm still wary of a slight NW correction. A lot of moving parts with this one and a slightly faster digging of the PV or slower movement of the southern stream s/w and this thing will explode over Lk Erie.

Prelim call for YYZ: 3-6" of cement. Slightly less than the consensus to account for a slight NW jog.

euro blows on qpf...it's as bad on the low side as the nam is on the highside.  Wasn't it really dry for the last storm?

It usually is compared to the other models. QPF is usually an estimate of what the final outcome will be. I would be more hesitant on watching the temperatures as that would dictate the ratios. 

Overall I still like the 8-12" call for LAF from yesterday.  Ratios probably starting out a hair above climo and trending toward greater than 15:1 toward the end of the storm.  For selfish reasons I'm hoping the UKIE is right as it would easily be a top 5 storm here. 

we speculate about that with every storm and quite frankly I cant think of any that suddenly showed explosive phasing in the last 48 or 60 hours outside a coastal event.   There is probably just as much chance that this shears out further southeast then it suddenly becomes some monster phased storm.  In fact with the strength of that incoming PV and front, there might be a slightly higher chance of the former scenario over the latter.

more likely neither will occur and we're looking at a fairly final solution, give or take a wobble and a couple of millibars.

now watch this morph into a 972 over indy at 00z  :lol: 

How does the ukie treat you?  Is it to warm?  I am just curious if it has that much of an effect given the antecedent airmass.

I'm going with the EURO/GGEM/GFS camp. Although I'm still wary of a slight NW correction. A lot of moving parts with this one and a slightly faster digging of the PV or slower movement of the southern stream s/w and this thing will explode over Lk Erie.

Prelim call for YYZ: 3-6" of cement. Slightly less than the consensus to account for a slight NW jog.

I'll wait for the 00z runs before I put mine out for cmh, but it's 4th and 14 with 20 seconds left, no time outs and we need to move it 65 yards to score....oh and our top receiver just got ejected in the previous play for a high hit on a defender.

Archived