• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Gradient is tight but I think you have a pretty good shot of getting 6+.  If anything you may do a little better than ORD given your location.

I should definitely do better than ORD being south and east. The SREF are really going gangbusters on ratios which is why totals are so high here. The narrow fgen band is going to make or break the event here. LP/defo snows are less promising.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the risk of being accused of a sausage post lol....I'll throw it out there that both the ggem and euro ensembles are further se then their OPs.  Both center the low on the OH/WV border around Parkersburg.   Which is interesting considering it's only 60hrs.

*this is not a forecast or projection or wishcasting*....it's simply another tiny piece of information whatever it's worth. :)

at the risk of being accused of a sausage post lol....I'll throw it out there that both the ggem and euro ensembles are further se then their OPs.  Both center the low on the OH/WV border around Parkersburg.   Which is interesting considering it's only 60hrs.

*this is not a forecast or projection or wishcasting*....it's simply another tiny piece of information whatever it's worth. :)

To back you up I did notice this as well on the Canadian ensembles. Like you said most members are over the OH/WV border and only 3 were west of that.

it's just a weak sheared mess...  only one run and it's the nam and it's 18z   but still I think this was always a plausible (not likely) solution with that monster PV coming in and a less than stellar southern wave.

I'll that take that weak sheared mess that drops a half foot on us! :)

The gap between the 12z UKMET which has mixing up to IND and the 18z NAM shows the volatility in this setup.  It'd be one thing if we were 4 or 5 days out but we're only 2 days away.

Hoosier, I noticed this on the 500 UK chart at 24 hours....see that circled red area.   Euro didn't have that piece.   Would probably explain the extra juice

post-622-0-32878200-1388781301_thumb.jpg

snippet from IWX

ON SUNDAY...MAIN SFC LOW WILL BE RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING AS NORTHERN   AND SOUTHERN STREAM PHASE OVER THE GREAT LAKES. GFS CONTINUES TO   COME ON BOARD WITH STRONGER SOLUTIONS AND UKMET MOST AGGRESSIVE WITH   INSANE QPF AMOUNTS WITH THREE QUARTERS TO ONE INCH BY MONDAY   MORNING. CONCERNS LOOM THAT MODELS ARE NOT CAPTURING FULL POTENTIAL   OF THE SYSTEM AND THAT MUCH MORE SNOW COULD OCCUR THAN PRESENTLY   FORECAST AS WELL AS TRACK FURTHER NW (TYPICAL BIAS). NAM 18Z RUN   STRUGGLING TO GRASP EVEN THE BASICS ON THE STORM. GRIDS THEMSELVES   HAVE NOT CHANGED MUCH WITH CAT POPS WARRANTED AND MENTION OF HEAVY   SNOW ADDED ALL AREAS. QPF HAS BEEN INCREASED SOMEWHAT RESULTING IN   HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS. AT THIS TIME THE HIGHEST IS CONFINED TO SE   HALF OF THE AREA BUT AS NOTED GENUINE CONCERNS THAT THIS AXIS COULD   BE SHIFTED NW. 00Z SOUNDINGS IN THE NW STATES SHOULD SAMPLE THE   DIGGING TROUGH BETTER AND COULD SEE SOME SIG CHANGES IN MODELS OVER   THE NEXT COUPLE OF RUNS. TRAVEL SUNDAY INTO MONDAY WILL LIKELY   BECOME DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IN RURAL AREAS WHERE   SIGNIFICANT DRIFTING WILL OCCUR. MENTION OF BLOWING SNOW HAS BEEN   EXPANDED INTO MONDAY WITH NEED BEYOND THIS POSSIBLE. NO CHANGES IN   TERMS OF BITTER COLD AS FORECAST HAS BEEN ON TRACK FOR A COUPLE OF   DAYS NOW. ADDITIONAL WINTER HEADLINES WILL BE NEEDED OVER THE NEXT   24 HOURS TO ADDRESS THESE CONCERNS.   

snippet from IWX

ON SUNDAY...MAIN SFC LOW WILL BE RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING AS NORTHERN   AND SOUTHERN STREAM PHASE OVER THE GREAT LAKES. GFS CONTINUES TO   COME ON BOARD WITH STRONGER SOLUTIONS AND UKMET MOST AGGRESSIVE WITH   INSANE QPF AMOUNTS WITH THREE QUARTERS TO ONE INCH BY MONDAY   MORNING. CONCERNS LOOM THAT MODELS ARE NOT CAPTURING FULL POTENTIAL   OF THE SYSTEM AND THAT MUCH MORE SNOW COULD OCCUR THAN PRESENTLY   FORECAST AS WELL AS TRACK FURTHER NW (TYPICAL BIAS). NAM 18Z RUN   STRUGGLING TO GRASP EVEN THE BASICS ON THE STORM. GRIDS THEMSELVES   HAVE NOT CHANGED MUCH WITH CAT POPS WARRANTED AND MENTION OF HEAVY   SNOW ADDED ALL AREAS. QPF HAS BEEN INCREASED SOMEWHAT RESULTING IN   HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS. AT THIS TIME THE HIGHEST IS CONFINED TO SE   HALF OF THE AREA BUT AS NOTED GENUINE CONCERNS THAT THIS AXIS COULD   BE SHIFTED NW. 00Z SOUNDINGS IN THE NW STATES SHOULD SAMPLE THE   DIGGING TROUGH BETTER AND COULD SEE SOME SIG CHANGES IN MODELS OVER   THE NEXT COUPLE OF RUNS. TRAVEL SUNDAY INTO MONDAY WILL LIKELY   BECOME DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IN RURAL AREAS WHERE   SIGNIFICANT DRIFTING WILL OCCUR. MENTION OF BLOWING SNOW HAS BEEN   EXPANDED INTO MONDAY WITH NEED BEYOND THIS POSSIBLE. NO CHANGES IN   TERMS OF BITTER COLD AS FORECAST HAS BEEN ON TRACK FOR A COUPLE OF   DAYS NOW. ADDITIONAL WINTER HEADLINES WILL BE NEEDED OVER THE NEXT   24 HOURS TO ADDRESS THESE CONCERNS.   

IWX essentially tossed the 18z NAM

and basically said there's a blizzard coming.

The GFS op is the farthest SE member:

pres_short.gif

The CMC ens mean is a tick NW of the op as well, but on this plot it looks like a lot of the members are missing, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

pres_short.gif

Archived