Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS op is the farthest SE member:

The CMC ens mean is a tick NW of the op as well, but on this plot it looks like a lot of the members are missing, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

First of all, I already knew and even posted that the gefs were nw.   Second the ggem ensemble on alan huffmans page (which I can't post since it's pay), is centered where I said, on the WV/OH border, clearly southeast of the OP which takes it thru central OH.  

Someone here backed me on this as well earlier....it's not like I'm pulling it out of my ass.  :)

Won't put much merit into this 18z nam run, but if GFS follows suit could mean a shift of the bullseye to my back yard and other Ohioans :whistle:

Getting more into sausage territory now.  I don't foresee that kind of shift as the 18z shows.  Maybe a bit further SE, but that's about it.  I would think most of the subforum expecting decent snow should still see it.  The question is still how far northwest and how far southeast.

Getting more into sausage territory now.  I don't foresee that kind of shift as the 18z shows.  Maybe a bit further SE, but that's about it.  I would think most of the subforum expecting decent snow should still see it.  The question is still how far northwest and how far southeast.

agree, and that's the point.... Posters like Hoosier are golden, they can take a shift here or there....we're riding the southern rail and need to grasp every little bit of evidence for or against a shift.   If it sounds like sausage posts, so be it.   But yea, that nam run was fun to look at but that's about it.

Wicked spread on the SREF for DKB. 1-15" with a mean of 5.5"

IDK... IWX seemed as if they were almost for sure expecting a further NW shift. 

agree, and that's the point.... Posters like Hoosier are golden, they can take a shift here or there....we're riding the southern rail and need to grasp every little bit of evidence for or against a shift.   If it sounds like sausage posts, so be it.   But yea, that nam run was fun to look at but that's about it.

the situation is really volatile for inside 48hrs...big shifts either direction wouldn't shock me.  My gut says further NW is the way to go but if it whiffs and passes well south I won't be surprised. I should squeeze out at least an inch or two either way.

the situation is really volatile for inside 48hrs...big shifts either direction wouldn't shock me.  My gut says further NW is the way to go but if it whiffs and passes well south I won't be surprised. I should squeeze out at least an inch or two either way.

I'm 50/50 (trying to be unbiased), as to whether a change results nw or se.  Wouldn't bet on either.   Most likely scenario I think is still  a low cutting over or slightly east of Columbus.

if I were a betting man, I'd put all my chips on Indianapolis for the sweetspot

I'm 50/50 (trying to be unbiased), as to whether a change results nw or se.  Wouldn't bet on either.   Most likely scenario I think is still  a low cutting over or slightly east of Columbus.

Yeah I'm at about a 60/40 split NW/SE but realistically nobody knows for sure. Hopefully when we get full sampling tonight things will be clearer. Ton of outcomes still on the table at this point. 

Didn't say I was buying such a dramatic SE shift. Being farther west around Dayton, I already sit better than posters in the Columbus area at seeing decent snow. With that being said, even the slightest shift right now either way dictates whether west OH sees heavy snow or a slop show IMO.

Not sure if you guys noticed but LMK and PAH went ahead and issued Winter Storm Watches for a lot of their coverage area. Granted if we get four inches or more it's a major winter storm down here. Here's what LMK thinks:

SIGNIFICANT SNOW POSSIBLE ON SUNDAY...A COLD FRONT WILL BRING ACCUMULATING SNOWS TO PARTS OF THE OHIOVALLEY ON SUNDAY. THE BEST CHANCES FOR HEAVY SNOW WILL BE ACROSSSOUTHERN INDIANA. THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY IN HOW QUICKLYTHE CHANGEOVER TO SNOW WILL OCCUR...WHICH COULD ALLOW FORSIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN PARTS OF CENTRAL KENTUCKY.INZ076>079-083-084-089>092-KYZ023>033-061-070-040300-/O.NEW.KLMK.WS.A.0001.140105T1100Z-140106T0500Z/ORANGE IN-WASHINGTON IN-SCOTT IN-JEFFERSON IN-DUBOIS IN-CRAWFORD IN-PERRY IN-HARRISON IN-FLOYD IN-CLARK IN-HANCOCK KY-BRECKINRIDGE KY-MEADE KY-OHIO KY-GRAYSON KY-HARDIN KY-BULLITT KY-JEFFERSON KY-OLDHAM KY-TRIMBLE KY-HENRY KY-BUTLER KY-LOGAN KY-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PAOLI...SALEM...SCOTTSBURG...MADISON...JASPER...MARENGO...TELL CITY...CORYDON...NEW ALBANY...JEFFERSONVILLE...HAWESVILLE...HARDINSBURG...BRANDENBURG...BEAVER DAM...LEITCHFIELD...ELIZABETHTOWN...FORT KNOX...MOUNT WASHINGTON...SHEPHERDSVILLE...LOUISVILLE...LA GRANGE...BEDFORD...NEW CASTLE...MORGANTOWN...RUSSELLVILLE158 PM EST FRI JAN 3 2014 /1258 PM CST FRI JAN 3 2014/...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGHSUNDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGHSUNDAY EVENING.* TIMING: PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN BEFORE DAYBREAK ON SUNDAY.  EXPECT ALL SNOW IN SOUTHERN INDIANA...WITH A PERIOD OF MIXED  PRECIPITATION LIKELY ON SUNDAY MORNING IN CENTRAL KENTUCKY. SNOW  WILL FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON...AND THEN TAPER  OFF SUNDAY EVENING.* MAIN IMPACT: SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 8 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN  SOUTHERN INDIANA...WITH 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE NEAR  INTERSTATE 71 AND WEST OF INTERSTATE 65 IN CENTRAL KENTUCKY.* OTHER IMPACTS: HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE AGGRAVATED BY  RAPIDLY FALLING TEMPERATURES AND GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS. SLICK  ROADWAYS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY DURING THE HEAVY  BANDS OF SNOW. AS THE SNOW ENDS SUNDAY EVENING...WIND CHILL  READINGS WILL DROP BELOW ZERO.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Good write up from LOT, will hold off on WWA but mentioned 3-6" amounts north of current WSW area and also betting on good fronto snows as well

ATTENTION THEN QUICKLY TURNS TO LATE SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAYS  
SYSTEM. THE NEW 12 UTC GLOBAL GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SUGGEST THAT A  
COLD FRONT...EMANATING FROM THE NORTHERN STREAM SURFACE LOW...WILL  
PUSH ACROSS THE AREA DURING THE DAY ON SATURDAY. THIS SHOULD PRODUCE  
A DECENT BAND A FRONTOGENESIS...WHICH APPEARS TO COUPLE WITH THE  
ENTRANCE REGION OF A DEVELOPING UPPER LEVEL SOUTHWESTERLY 120-130 KT  
JET ALONG THE EASTERN PERIPHERY OF THE EMERGING LARGER SCALE UPPER  
TROUGH ACROSS THE CENTRAL CONUS. ALL IN ALL THIS ANA TYPE COLD FRONT  
SHOULD RESULT IN A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW RIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF  
NORTHERN ILLINOIS SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND INTO THE EVENING. IT  
APPEARS THE COLDER AIR MASS WILL ALLOW FOR A DECENTLY DEEP  
DGZ...LIKELY IN EXCESS OF 50 TO 100 MB IN DEPTH. THIS COMBINED WITH  
DECENT FORCING WITHIN THIS LAYER SHOULD SUPPORT SOME DECENT SNOW  
RATIOS...POSSIBLY AROUND A 15 TO 16 TO 1 RATIO.  

THE MAIN SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE...SHOULD MOVE ACROSS THE OZARKS  

DURING THE DAY SUNDAY...AND THIS SHOULD DRIVE AN ASSOCIATED SURFACE  
LOW FROM EASTERN TEXAS...NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE OHIO  
VALLEY...ALONG THE FRONT BOUNDARY...MENTIONED ABOVE. IT APPEARS THE  
OVERALL TRACK OF THE 850 MB LOW WILL BE SOMEWHERE ACROSS SOUTHERN  
ILLINOIS AND INTO INDIANA BY LATE SUNDAY. OVERALL...THIS SHOULD  
FAVOR A DEFORMATION BAND OF SNOW ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN HALF OF MY  
AREA THROUGH THE DAY SUNDAY. WITHIN THIS AREA...IT APPEARS THAT  
PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW ARE PROBABLE ACROSS THE CURRENT WATCH AREA  
ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN THIRD OF MY AREA. THIS APPEARS TO BE THE  
REGION WHERE THE BEST STRONG LARGE SCALE FORCING FOR ASCENT WILL  
CONSIDER WITH THE BEST FRONTOGENESIS WITHIN THE DEFORMATION BAND  
ASSOCIATED WITH THE MID LEVEL LOW TRACK. IN THESE AREAS SNOWFALL  
AMOUNTS BY LATE SUNDAY COULD BE APPROACHING 10 INCHES.  

SNOW AMOUNTS APPEAR THAT THEY WILL TAPPER OFF QUICKLY FROM THE  

CHICAGO AREA NORTH AND WESTWARD. IN AND AROUND THE CHICAGO  
AREA...POSSIBLY A COUNTY OR TWO NORTHWARD OF THE CURRENT WATCH...A  
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR SNOW AMOUNTS OF 3  
TO 6 INCHES. HOWEVER...SNOW AMOUNTS WILL TAPPER OFF TO ONLY AROUND  
AND 1 INCH ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS. IF THE SYSTEM  
TRACKS A BIT FARTHER NORTHWEST...WHICH IS POSSIBLE...SOME HIGHER  
AMOUNTS IN EXCEEDS OF 6 INCHES COULD BE POSSIBLE IN AND AROUND THE  
CHICAGO AREA.
THE MAIN SNOW SHOULD ABATE ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA  
BY SUNDAY EVENING. HOWEVER...GIVEN THE DEEP COLD MOVING ACROSS THE  
LAKE IN THE WAKE OF THIS SYSTEM...THERE WILL LIKELY BE SOME  
LINGERING LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHWESTERN  
INDIANA INTO MONDAY BEFORE THE MAIN FLOW SHIFTS MORE WESTERLY.  
THIS COULD RESULT IN SOME ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS. GIVEN THE  
CURRENT WINTER WEATHER HEADLINE FOR TONIGHT...I WILL HOLD OFF ON  
ISSUING A SECOND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE CHICAGO AREA.  

Archived