bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy this latest model output. It'll shift south once there is more sampling. Don't think the models are handling this thing very well yet. I'm anticipating a similar result as the Dec 14 storm.

7" for YYZ is my call.

If the models aren't handling it well then why wouldn't there be a chance for it to shift north?

we speculate about that with every storm and quite frankly I cant think of any that suddenly showed explosive phasing in the last 48 or 60 hours outside a coastal event.   There is probably just as much chance that this shears out further southeast then it suddenly becomes some monster phased storm.  In fact with the strength of that incoming PV and front, there might be a slightly higher chance of the former scenario over the latter.

more likely neither will occur and we're looking at a fairly final solution, give or take a wobble and a couple of millibars.

now watch this morph into a 972 over indy at 00z  :lol: 

Shut it! :lol:  ;)

Slightly colder but less QPF than 24 hrs ago.

Going with 5.1" for YYZ.

YYZ EURO text:

ECMWF Deterministic FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

12Z JAN03
                 2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000
                 TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500
                 ©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK

SUN 06Z 05-JAN  -1.5    -6.2    1018      78     100    0.02     548     533    
SUN 12Z 05-JAN  -2.0    -7.6    1019      89      99    0.08     546     532    
SUN 18Z 05-JAN  -0.1    -7.8    1016      82      84    0.10     545     532    
MON 00Z 06-JAN  -0.9    -6.5    1011      92      99    0.12     541     533
MON 06Z 06-JAN  -1.0    -4.3     999      97     100    0.29     533     534
MON 12Z 06-JAN  -5.4    -9.7    1002      77      93    0.08     519     518

If the models aren't handling it well then why wouldn't there be a chance for it to shift north?

I don't have a dog in this fight.  I can only hope for some high ratio lake snow and wind, but some of the wish casting going on in 'dis damn place is almost sad to see.  Ohio sooooo deserves this one but so does the Laf crew.

I don't have a dog in this fight.  I can only hope for some high ratio lake snow and wind, but some of the wish casting going on in 'dis damn place is almost sad to see.  Ohio sooooo deserves this one but so does the Laf crew.

thanks, but honestly we've done awesome this year....this would be frosting on the cake.  I hate to say it but LAF probably deserves this more.   I'm still fighting for it though.    At this point I just want a snow cover to hold before that arctic air settles in....i'll be happy with that.

We've been on a good run here.  I don't really care if there are small north or south shifts...small ones aren't going to kill me at this point.  Obviously can't say the same for other areas.

thanks, but honestly we've done awesome this year....this would be frosting on the cake.  I hate to say it but LAF probably deserves this more.   I'm still fighting for it though.    At this point I just want a snow cover to hold before that arctic air settles in....i'll be happy with that.

the who deserves it stuff is always annoying. relative to climo, most of the subforum is doing well. heading west into the plains things get worse. Jonger does have an impressive big dog futility streak.

Laf is in a pretty good spot.  The Ohio wish-casting is off the charts but I know how it is feels.  So I sympathize.

wishcasting in ohio...who?   Western Ohio, ie Dayton might be one of the big winners in all of this.  Cmh not so much, but I haven't been wishcasting anything, quite the opposite just keeping it real. 

the who deserves it stuff is always annoying. relative to climo, most of the subforum is doing well. heading west into the plains things get worse. Jonger does have an impressive big dog futility streak.

yea I'm not a real fan of the 'deserve' statements either.... I was just responding to what he said.

Laf is in a pretty good spot.  The Ohio wish-casting is off the charts but I know how it is feels.  So I sympathize.

Not one of us in Ohio is wishcasting. I didn't see the "HUGE" changes in the 12Z runs that you saw, but I don't have any illusions that my area in Ohio will be in the heaviest band of snow.

when I say "deserve", I'm meaning who I'd really like to see get a whopper, not something owed. Areas that don't see many 6" ers imo "deserve" to see a damn good snow!

Not one of us in Ohio is wishcasting. I didn't see the "HUGE" changes in the 12Z runs that you saw, but I don't have any illusions that my area in Ohio will be in the heaviest band of snow.

Uh yeah not huge at all.  Maybe it won't pop off.  But it's a step from going nuclear now.  It may not happen.  But to say there aren't big changes at work would be dead wrong sorry.

GFS_3_2014010312_F60_RELV_500_MB_SM.pngGFS_3_2014010300_F72_RELV_500_MB_SM.png

NAM_221_2014010312_F60_RELV_500_MB_SM.pn

NAM_221_2014010300_F72_RELV_500_MB_SM.pn

Archived