• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

"When"? Sounds like you're speaking as if the Euro's going to hell tonight. It may, but...calling it already?

where did I say hell?

I am saying that its a POSSIBILITY that the Euro resembles the GFS/NAM/UKMET/GGEM later tonight....but then we toss all of them and search for the one that shows the blizzard..KMA or JMA or whatever....its a PROBABILITY that this will be a 3-6" snow event....people need to come to grips with that....not every storm with a trough east/ridge west can be a KU.

Before 2000 there were exactly 7 KU's in THIRTY years to effect the NYC area....that is SEVEN IN THIRTY YEARS. We have had like 7 since Dec of 2010....

Jan 78

Feb 78

Feb 83

Jan 87

Mar 93

Feb 95

Jan 96

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just overjoyed that whatever falls will actually have a real winter feel to it rather than the usual gloppy, melty anything-but-arctic, umbrella-requiring junk that we experience 90% of the time here in Manhattan. However, let me add, with regard to the GFS and the GFS only, it's hard to imagine a better run at T-66hr. I've been watching east coast set-ups on the models for 25 years, and this looks exactly like the evolution I've seen before the vast majority of the memorable events that involved truly cold air. I'll not throw out any analogs as quite a few of the posters here are pretty unforgiving regarding weenie-ism.

Apparently it's a real thing. It's used in mets write ups and discos about storms.

Not sure it's annoying and overused

in your forum, which i learn a tremendous amount, the red taggers are saying the GFS is the MOST logical solution....in this thread its a toss out by most non-red taggers

Tip uses it a lot in the SNE forum - not much else

Tonight's guidance tells me little more than that there is still a lot of uncertainty. At least some accumulating snow is likely, the question concerns how much. Southern New England continues to have the best chance at receiving a significant snowfall, but a moderate snowfall is not out of the question for the NYC area.

The NAM trended better. The GFS trended worse (mixed if one considers somewhat better 500 mb presentation). FWIW, Boston received the same qpf as it did on the 12z run and almost the same amount as it received on the 18z one. This suggests that the location and timing of the phase will be key and that's something that probably requires more time for the modeling to work out. In theory, the higher resolution guidance should do a little better, particularly the ECMWF. But that isn't always the case.

Don  , I think thats more important in NYC than focusing on what the GFS typically likes to do 3 days out on the EC . 

If we didnt hav a surface map to look at , and we just saw the 500 MB map , you would think a heavy snowstorm was coming .

The ridge thru the Rockies looks like its in a good spot to turn this , theres no Blocking to shunt this so the speeding  of the surface

feature due E  just looks like an eror to me .

The GFS does this on " almost " every snowstorm 3 days out . the Euro ensembles are much more consolidated at the surface  and im just inclined to buy it in this set up .

in your forum, which i learn a tremendous amount, the red taggers are saying the GFS is the MOST logical solution....in this thread its a toss out by most non-red taggers

I agree that it probably is. I just thought you meant that the feedback issues were something that didn't exist.

In terms of the storm. I don't buy a really amped up major snowstorm to be honest. The pattern is incredibly progressive, and literally a number of things timed perfectly will be needed to make it work.

I don't think at this point anyone is getting skunked. Your right about the KU comment though. We've had quite a few recently, and people automatically expect a set up like this to produce big snows, which isn't the case

To be fair most non red taggers in their forum are tossing it too. IMO its another plausable solution on the table

where did I say hell?

I am saying that its a POSSIBILITY that the Euro resembles the GFS/NAM/UKMET/GGEM later tonight....but then we toss all of them and search for the one that shows the blizzard..KMA or JMA or whatever....its a PROBABILITY that this will be a 3-6" snow event....people need to come to grips with that....not every storm with a trough east/ridge west can be a KU.

Before 2000 there were exactly 7 KU's in THIRTY years to effect the NYC area....that is SEVEN IN THIRTY YEARS. We have had like 7 since Dec of 2010....

Jan 78

Feb 78

Feb 83

Jan 87

Mar 93

Feb 95

Jan 96

I remember all of these puppies growing up. It was such a rare event to get them...they have become too commonplace now where I see weenies expect them. They are something to cherish as unique and need to stay as rare events

I remember all of these puppies growing up. It was such a rare event to get them...they have become too commonplace now where I see weenies expect them. They are something to cherish as unique and need to stay as rare events

There have been other times taht KU's were commonplace.  March 1956, February 1958, March 2, 1960, December 11 (or so), 1960, January 20, 1961, February 4, 1961, January 1964, February 1967 (leaving out the snow to rain event of January 29, 1966 that qualifed as a KU), February 9, 1969. These seem to run in streaks. The ones listed here (link) were during a relative snow drought that ran from 1979 through 1993 (with the listed exceptions of the Megalopolis storm of February 1983 and the January 1987 even. The period from just after the post-Christmas 1969 storm to January 1978 was also horribly unsnowy, as was 1949-March 1956.

Weather changes. What a surprise.

Tonight's guidance tells me little more than that there is still a lot of uncertainty. At least some accumulating snow is likely, the question concerns how much. Southern New England continues to have the best chance at receiving a significant snowfall, but a moderate snowfall is not out of the question for the NYC area.

The NAM trended better. The GFS trended worse (mixed if one considers somewhat better 500 mb presentation). FWIW, Boston received the same qpf as it did on the 12z run and almost the same amount as it received on the 18z one. This suggests that the location and timing of the phase will be key and that's something that probably requires more time for the modeling to work out. In theory, the higher resolution guidance should do a little better, particularly the ECMWF. But that isn't always the case.

I always figured Boston would be the epicenter and the question would be how good it can be for how far southwest of there.

All in all, I still think this is a 2-4" snow event for NYC....although over the past day or two, I'm starting to think that it could be more like 3-6 than 2-4, but we'll see

I would say several inches with the potential for more. I think it would take a complete disaster for us to get nothing-but relying on inverted trough features is always foolhardy. Maybe this one (if it happens) can finally work out. Not having the overrunning completely overshoot us would help also.

What I like from tonights suite is the block appearing on all models over davis strait:

gfs_namer_072_500_vort_ht.gif

nvg10.500.066.namer.gif

nam_namer_072_500_vort_ht.gif

That kicker could be a spoiler though, and the ridge isn't that sharp. Out to sea with the developing low is still a real possibility. I think we'll be nailbiting until the ball drops tomorrow (after, since the Euro won't be out until 1AM). Hopefully, the Euro bit a real nugget and holds tough.

I'm wondering if we see a Boxing Day type trend with the models by tomorrow or Wednesday because the setup really doesn't look bad. I'm surprised the models are so far east with this. The block in the Davis Strait looks solid, there are hints at a negatively tilted trough, and the pattern is quite amplified with nice ridging out west, but we'll see I guess. 

Archived