joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone surprised. You expected a blizzard on every run? That mentioned, the euro has been so bad compare to how it was a few years back.

there isnt ONE model that shows anything more than light to maybe moderate snow for a period....and, of course, NOW the euro is bad. The last two runs its was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

What's actually pretty cool is that if it plays out like this, as disorganized and out to sea, then the NAM skunked every model out there. In fact, the almighty EURO will have been the last to see straight. Guess we can't always discount the NAM when it's out of its range.

Hour 84 it's moving out. Eastern LI getting moderate snow. 2-4" and 3-6" type deal and that might be generous.

Maybe I'm misreading; but that looks like 0.5 - 1.00 LE over Long Island...have I misread?

Not what I was hoping to see at all. We absolutely need that amplified trend to happen for this to be any kind of real event here, and relying on an inverted trough almost never works out. Several inches might be generous if the overrunning snow really does end up along I-90 and nothing else kicks in along the coast. Might just be a quick 1-2" deal if that happens. Hopefully this turns around by 12z tomorrow, but the better sampling might mean we're zeroing in on the outcome more. Argh, a nailbiter just as I thought it would be.

What's actually pretty cool is that if it plays out like this, as disorganized and out to sea, then the NAM skunked every model out there. In fact, the almighty EURO will have been the last to see straight. Guess we can't always discount the NAM when it's out of its range.

watch the NAM at 6Z come in amped and all of the weenies will hug it like its the gospel

This happens with every storm. People give up because the models take away their storm. Once the models bring it back, people jump on the bandwagon again. Give it until tomorrow night for the big storm theory. If it doesn't happen, then just be happy with a moderate snowfall.

Pack up what? This will still produce a light to moderate snowfall for the area. I don't get these responses at all.

That it would be time to get off the idea that this would be a "MECS" 

I've been saying this would be a light to moderate event for us since about Sunday, so I'm fine with whats happening now. 

This happens with every storm. People give up because the models take away their storm. Once the models bring it back, people jump on the bandwagon again. Give it until tomorrow night for the big storm theory. If it doesn't happen, then just be happy with a moderate snowfall.

dude - this doesnt happen every storm. Usually there is at least one model, even a crappy one, that keeps the big solution,...here they are all trending to a non-event, not a small event, a non event....there is something horribly wrong with the models if they all bring back a bigger solution tomorrow

I don't understand how so many people can claim either victory or defeat for one model's output or another's, when we are still 60-72 hours away from the start of the event and all the main pieces of energy, which will (or will not) become our storm(s), are not even onshore yet, meaning the model accuracy, due to error propagation from a limited initialization data set, is still questionable. 

That it would be time to get off the idea that this would be a "MECS" 

I've been saying this would be a light to moderate event for us since about Sunday, so I'm fine with whats happening now. 

I agree about the MECS idea. Nothing wrong with a light to moderate event, although doing a foot post in a foot of snow would be cool :snowing:

based on that euro run i said 1-3" for the lucky ones....

its entirely possible that in 24 hrs this will a nada event

I don't mind ur posts usually but the arrogance In Which u write ur posts is very annoying I must say... I know many people like you...even if every model on the planet showed 12" of snow u would post cynical nonsense about how ur skeptical and claim u saw it coming lol... Allow those that enjoy discussing the model runs for what there worth post

The problem is the overrunning event-models still mostly have that overshooting us for mostly around I-90 and SNE. Therefore we have to rely on the coastal redevelopment, and if that doesn't pan out and the trough is kicked out too fast, we're really just left in the huge middle-finger dry slot. I still like our odds for "something", but the progressive nature of the pattern may yet ruin our chances. I mean the pattern just screams along like crazy-can't have a shortwave to itself for any time until the next one kicks it east and flattens the amplification. And the block isn't strong enough to stop it like it was in Dec 2010.

I don't understand how so many people can claim either victory or defeat for one model's output or another's, when we are still 60-72 hours away from the start of the event and all the main pieces of energy, which will (or will not) become our storm(s), are not even onshore yet, meaning the model accuracy, due to error propagation from a limited initialization data set, is still questionable. 

i dont think anyone is claiming a win or a loss.

The writing is on the wall....the Mets for the most part see it. Lets just hope we ring in the new year with a few inches...

dude - this doesnt happen every storm. Usually there is at least one model, even a crappy one, that keeps the big solution,...here they are all trending to a non-event, not a small event, a non event....there is something horribly wrong with the models if they all bring back a bigger solution tomorrow

They could all bring it back tomorrow. It has happened in the past.

Archived