joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
convective feedback issues is quickly becoming one of the most overused, annoying and for the most out of context cliche's in modelology.

When the Euro shows the same type of outcome will it also have issues?

This is a good point. If the GFS had showed a wound up storm, widespread 12-18", I doubt anyone would be saying "throw it out". You'd hear a lot of "GFS may be on to something bigger here !!"

convective feedback issues is quickly becoming one of the most overused, annoying and for the most out of context cliche's in modelology.

Then I'd say that the storms a dud, but for now let's just keeping monitoring the other computer model outputs. 

"When"? Sounds like you're speaking as if the Euro's going to hell tonight. It may, but...calling it already?

Apparently it's a real thing. It's used in mets write ups and discos about storms.

Not sure it's annoying and overused

What if there actually ARE convective feedback issues?

The GFS' idea of the screwy lead low could very well be exactly that, the GFS has done this a few times now the past 2-3 years and its been stuck on the idea in each event til 36-48 hours out, I recall the NAM even catching on a few times before it did...if the Euro and its ensembles still hold tonight I'll strongly consider tossing the Op GFS idea til it stops with the double low feature....it tried to move away from it this run a bit but still seemed to develop the lead low earlier than it should have.

Tonight's guidance tells me little more than that there is still a lot of uncertainty. At least some accumulating snow is likely, the question concerns how much. Southern New England continues to have the best chance at receiving a significant snowfall, but a moderate snowfall is not out of the question for the NYC area.

The NAM trended better. The GFS trended worse (mixed if one considers somewhat better 500 mb presentation). FWIW, Boston received the same qpf as it did on the 12z run and almost the same amount as it received on the 18z one. This suggests that the location and timing of the phase will be key and that's something that probably requires more time for the modeling to work out. In theory, the higher resolution guidance should do a little better, particularly the ECMWF. But that isn't always the case.

Archived