Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
00z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geeezz Just figured out 21 means 4PM what time and day is hour 60 or 66?

21 is equal to 9pm local time. If its 21z (Zulu or GMT time) then subtract 5 hours for EST and 4 hours EDT. 60, 66 etc refer to hours from model initialization for the specific model run.

GFS right where you would expect.  Shoots storm out to the east too quickly.  Look at the MSLP maps, they show a kink in the isobars hanging back to the coast.  GFS typically focuses its energy into front running lows...would expect the low to be closer to the coast in reality and the precip field as well.

When you look at 500mb you can see a whole lot of vorticy and sometimes the models have a hard time keying in on which piece of energy to focus on. Once the pieces are better sampled things should finally start looking clearer. The good news is that a complete whiff looks off the table.

i see the timing as problematic. To me, this looked like a thursday event from yesterday. Now,

we have models starting the precip on Wednesday evening. And in the case of this particular

GFS run, it ends the snow before the thursday PM rush.

Huh? It snows until Friday morning on the GFS.

When you look at 500mb you can see a whole lot of vorticy and sometimes the models have a hard time keying in on which piece of energy to focus on. Once the pieces are better sampled things should finally start looking clearer. The good news is that a complete whiff looks off the table.

From your mouth to mother nature's ears.  

i see the timing as problematic. To me, this looked like a thursday event from yesterday. Now, 

we have models starting the precip on Wednesday evening. And in the case of this particular

GFS run, it ends the snow before the thursday PM rush. 

Your timing is off.

Thursday night into Friday.

Archived